Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 5 Average
Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
09-07-2012, 09:06 PM (This post was last modified: 04-05-2014 09:01 AM by ToastyX.)
Star Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
Custom Resolution Utility (CRU) allows custom resolutions to be defined for both AMD/ATI and NVIDIA GPUs by creating EDID overrides directly in the registry without having to deal with inf files.

http://www.monitortests.com/cru-1.1.2.zip

If you find this software useful, donations are welcome.

Requirements:
  • Windows Vista or later
  • AMD/ATI or NVIDIA GPU
    • Intel's graphics driver does not support EDID overrides
    • Laptops with switchable graphics are not supported
Note for NVIDIA users: GeForce Experience is known to cause issues with EDID overrides such as resolutions being listed in the NVIDIA control panel but not in the Windows screen resolution settings. Either uninstall GeForce Experience, or enable the extension block and import this file: blank-extension.dat

Quick start:
  1. Choose a display from the drop-down list.
    • "(active)" means the display is connected and the configuration is active.
    • "*" means changes were made and an override was saved.
    • "**" means an extension block override was also saved.
  2. Edit the configuration as desired.
    • The first detailed resolution is considered the preferred or native resolution. To make games use a higher refresh rate, define it as the first detailed resolution.
    • At least one detailed resolution should be defined. All other resolutions can be removed if they are not needed.
    • NVIDIA users must either uncheck "Include extension block" or import a custom extension block for custom resolutions to work.
  3. Repeat steps 1-2 for other displays if required.
    • The "Copy" and "Paste" buttons at the top can be used to copy all the resolutions from one display to another.
  4. Click "OK" to save the changes.
  5. Reboot, or try the experimental driver restarter: restart.zip
To reset a display back to the default configuration, use the "Delete" button at the top and reboot. To reset all displays, run reset-all.exe and reboot. This can be done in safe mode if necessary.

Notes:
  • This program adds monitor resolutions, not scaled resolutions. Lower resolutions will be scaled up if GPU scaling is enabled, but higher resolutions won't be scaled down by the GPU. Higher resolutions will only work if the monitor can handle them.
  • Timing modes for detailed resolutions:
    • "Manual" allows the timing parameters to be set manually. The dialog will always open in this mode.
    • "Automatic - LCD standard" (formerly "Automatic - Best for LCD") uses timing parameters commonly used with LCD monitors and HDTVs.
    • "Automatic - LCD reduced" adjusts the timing parameters for certain resolutions to reduce the pixel clock. This may help when trying higher refresh rates.
    • "Automatic - CRT standard" uses timing parameters compatible with CRT monitors.
  • Some monitor/GPU combinations can bypass the 165 MHz HDMI limit without patching the driver by enabling the extension block and importing one of these files:
  • The video card will not reduce clock speeds when idle if the vertical blanking/total is too low. Horizontal values can still be reduced if necessary.
    • AMD/ATI cards require the "LCD standard" vertical blanking/total to reduce the memory clock when idle.
    • NVIDIA cards can handle some lower values depending on the resolution and refresh rate.
Changes in 1.1.2:
  • Fixed HDMI audio not working with older AMD/ATI GPUs
Changes in 1.1.1:
  • Fixed monitors with invalid signal type information not working with AMD/ATI GPUs
  • Added "LCD standard" timing parameters for 3840x2160 @ 30 Hz and 1366x768 @ 60 Hz (use "LCD reduced" for old values)
  • Automatically enable extension block when importing extension block files
  • Show number of slots left
Changes in 1.1:
  • Import extension block from files (editing coming later)
  • Automatically fill in likely native resolution when adding a detailed resolution
  • Disable controls when deleting a display
Changes in 1.0.1:
  • Fixed INF export
  • Added support for non-PnP displays
  • Changed display list sorting
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-12-2012, 09:30 AM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
Hi!

Thank you for making this application, it is very handful!

I used it in win7 without problems, but i just upgraded to win8, and your application doesn't work there. I can add custom resolutions and everything, but in windows 8 they doesn't appear.
What do you suggest?
12-13-2012, 04:07 AM
It should work. Others are using it with Windows 8. What video card and monitor are you using?
12-13-2012, 04:11 PM
(12-13-2012 04:07 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  It should work. Others are using it with Windows 8. What video card and monitor are you using?

MSI R6870 Hawk and Asus PA246Q with displayport. It worked fine on windows 7.
In the list, where i have to choose the monitor, there my monitor appears three times. Is it possible, i choosed the wrong one?
12-14-2012, 02:02 AM
It's possible you're editing the wrong one. Each connection creates a separate entry, and there may be outdated entries that aren't being used anymore. CRU should pick the first active entry it finds, but if you're not sure which is which, delete all of them and reboot. Then the list should only have entries that are currently active.

With AMD/ATI, sometimes the highest refresh rate has to be listed as the first detailed resolution or the video driver will ignore it. You can also try unchecking "Include extension block" if that's checked.
12-17-2012, 06:09 PM
(12-14-2012 02:02 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  It's possible you're editing the wrong one. Each connection creates a separate entry, and there may be outdated entries that aren't being used anymore. CRU should pick the first active entry it finds, but if you're not sure which is which, delete all of them and reboot. Then the list should only have entries that are currently active.

With AMD/ATI, sometimes the highest refresh rate has to be listed as the first detailed resolution or the video driver will ignore it. You can also try unchecking "Include extension block" if that's checked.

Thanks, i copied the custom resolutions to all three entries, and now works fine. Thanks!
12-27-2012, 11:11 PM
I have an issue not with this tool but rather with my monitor. A better explanation is available here: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=...ost1607421 but basically, even with the Include extension block portion unchecked, I still get invisible HDTV resolutions. Any ideas?
12-28-2012, 10:19 AM
Try removing the custom resolution from the NVIDIA control panel, then add it using CRU instead.
12-30-2012, 01:11 AM (This post was last modified: 12-30-2012 01:21 AM by Mangix.)
I have no resolutions added from nvidia's control panel. Here's a screenshot: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/102011983/high%...01080p.png

and

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/102011983/high%...nvidia.png

edit: for some reason, the checkbox in the second screenshot never seems to get properly applied. The first resolution under PC is always checked and always matches the current refresh rate. I'm not sure if this is intentional or an oddity. When I used to manually modify the EDID with a .inf file, I always increased the maximum supported resolution as well as set the signal type to HDMI-A(default is set to DVI-D even though the connection is made through HDMI).

edit2: this is also an oddity.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/102011983/high%...nitor1.png

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/102011983/high%...nitor2.png

Happens when I do a .inf mod as well.
12-31-2012, 05:37 PM
I just checked with a 1080p monitor. It's a quirk with the NVIDIA driver. This happens when the refresh rate is set to 59 Hz when only 60 Hz is defined. The HD listing disappears when set to 60 Hz. This stops happening if I change the 60 Hz resolution to something like 59.94 Hz.

The monitor information is correct. Real-time is just the EDID directly from the monitor. The EDID override still takes precedence.