Keep resolution fixed when changing monitor on Windows 10 with EVanlak HDMI Emulator
04-09-2024, 07:42 AM
Keep resolution fixed when changing monitor on Windows 10 with EVanlak HDMI Emulator
Them problem I am facing is that Window 10 keeps resetting the screen settings (resolution, scale, orientation) when a different monitor is attached, even if the monitor is of the same model.

I am trying to solve this with a HDMI passthrough dongle such that the EDID that Windows sees does not change.

For this I bought an EVanlak HDMI Emulator Adapter (3rd Generation) that is advertised to support UHD/4K, 3840 x 2160 @ 60Hz and that has 4K UHD printed on it.

However, when I connect this dongle to the monitor (iiyama ProLite TF4939UHSC) and set Windows to UHD, then the monitor only displays an "out of range" error. At lower resolution the dongle works and UHD works when connecting to the monitor directly without dongle.

I have two questions:

1. Can I configure the dongle using CRU or EDID Writer to get it to work? Elsewhere I have read that some emulators need to be set to HDMI 2.X for UHD? How can I do that?

2. What are other conceivable ways to fix the screen settings? Solutions with e.g. PowerShell/C# seem quite hacky and may break with Windows updates: https://github.com/Clicketyclick/ChangeS...tation.ps1
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-09-2024, 09:27 PM
RE: Keep resolution fixed when changing monitor on Windows 10 with EVanlak HDMI Emulator
I don't see why that emulator wouldn't work. I know for sure it can support HDMI 2.0. That emulator isn't writable, so you can't use EDID Writer with it, but you should be able to do a software EDID override with CRU. Connect the monitor to the PC and use CRU to export the EDID to a file. Then connect the emulator and use CRU to import the EDID to the adapter. Then after restarting, it should use the monitor's EDID that you imported.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply