Strobelight - LightBoost Utility for AMD/ATI and NVIDIA
09-17-2015, 02:30 AM (Last edited: 09-17-2015, 02:36 AM by Wizard)
RE: Strobelight - LightBoost Utility for AMD/ATI and NVIDIA
(09-14-2015 03:53 AM)kevindd992002 Wrote:  I installed a fresh Windows 10 OS on my system and found a weird bug with Strobelight. Well, when I come from a standard boot process of Windows stroblight does one of two things randomly:

1.) Triggers properly (strobelight mode with green 3D LED turned on my my BenQ XL2420TX) at the logon screen, no problems whatsoever. When I logon using my username and password, it stay at strobelight mode and would function without any problems.

2.) Strobelight is off at the logon screen and would not turn on until I logon using my username and password. What's more weird is that after I logon and wait for a few seconds, it flashes the screen black for a few seconds before strobelight mode activates (very similar to when enabling 3D mode coming from standard mode which I know that it is in fact what strobelight does).

What gives?

I'm actually experiencing exactly the same thing you are. I'm also sure it did not happen before I installed windows 10. ToastyX said it might be a driver problem but I'm just starting to think it's part of Windows 10 now.

For me there's actually a super-rare 3rd option. Sometimes my computer BOOTS in LIGHTBOOST mode, and when that happens, strobelight starts normally (I don't get that accursed 'no strobed refresh rates found' error, which I actually just fixed by task scheduling restart.exe on boot as per ToastyX's recommendation) but the Strobing on/Strobing Off buttons do nothing more than flash the screen for about 3 seconds. It's very peculiar, not even a restart.exe fixes it, only a complete system reboot.

Anyway my point is: None of these weird issues happened before windows 10, strobelight worked perfectly, so that leads me to believe that windows 10 is just buggy. I'm also leaning towards the idea that the 'Fast Startup' option or the 'wake from hybrid sleep' or similar power options are causing it.

EDIT: Whoops, apparently 'Fast Startup' WAS in windows 8.1, but that doesn't mean that a change in the functionality in windows 10 can't still be the culprit.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-17-2015, 04:16 AM
(09-17-2015 02:30 AM)Wizard Wrote:  I'm actually experiencing exactly the same thing you are. I'm also sure it did not happen before I installed windows 10. ToastyX said it might be a driver problem but I'm just starting to think it's part of Windows 10 now.
That's not the same problem. He's not getting the "no strobed refresh rates found" message, and strobing is working as expected after logging in. He just wants strobing to be active before logging in so it doesn't have to waste time switching refresh rates, but Strobelight has no control over that.

Your issue is EDID overrides are not always loading, which doesn't even involve Strobelight itself. The setup program creates EDID overrides like CRU does, and so far nobody else has reported anything like this when using CRU or Strobelight with Windows 10, so I have no idea what's going on in your case.
09-17-2015, 04:23 AM
(09-14-2015 08:08 PM)falkentyne Wrote:  Are you using an AMD card?

I've seen AMD Drivers do weird stuff with refresh rates that were similar to each other.

For example, I set a 99hz refresh rate for 100hz Lightboost strobing (had to set 99hz instead of 99.5 as 99.5 overwrites the 100hz I already have). I have a separate 100hz refresh rate for benq blur reduction (vertical total 1502).

Sometimes when selecting my 99hz lightboost resolution, it doesn't enter 3D mode. Maybe 1 time out of 10, it doesn't enter 3D. 9 times out of 10 it does.
This isn't related either. This seems more like an issue with the timing parameters. If you're going to use 99 Hz instead of 100 Hz, you might have to increase the vertical total by 1 for it to work consistently.

While working on Strobelight, I actually encountered the opposite problem with the VG248QE where sometimes LightBoost would be active at 120.5 Hz. I had to decrease the vertical total by 1 to fix the problem.
09-20-2015, 02:24 AM
Unable to change options in strobelight-setup.exe.

Before I reformatted, I remember when I changed settings in the program the options I picked would remain check marked the next time I opened setup.exe. Now, after reformatting, when running setup.exe the settings remain static no matter how many times I change them and install the drivers. I would like to have 144hz refresh rate when strobbing is toggled off, but it doesn't seem to want to install those settings? Is there a way to check to see if the drivers are running at 120hz or 144hz?
09-20-2015, 02:38 AM
(09-20-2015 02:24 AM)dumbguy44 Wrote:  Unable to change options in strobelight-setup.exe.

Before I reformatted, I remember when I changed settings in the program the options I picked would remain check marked the next time I opened setup.exe.
That has never been the case.

(09-20-2015 02:24 AM)dumbguy44 Wrote:  Now, after reformatting, when running setup.exe the settings remain static no matter how many times I change them and install the drivers. I would like to have 144hz refresh rate when strobbing is toggled off, but it doesn't seem to want to install those settings? Is there a way to check to see if the drivers are running at 120hz or 144hz?
Check the Windows screen resolution settings.
10-04-2015, 07:43 PM (Last edited: 10-04-2015, 07:44 PM by ryugen)
Hi there,

so I used strobelight for an eternity on my windows 8 machines. Switched over to Windows 10 and reinstalled AMD drivers (15.7) + strobelight.

-> No compatible display found.

Log gives me:
[2015-10-04 18:53:39.589] LOAD(AMD): LoadLibrary("atiadlxx.dll") = SUCCESS
[2015-10-04 18:53:39.598] LOAD(AMD): ADL_Main_Control_Create() = SUCCESS
[2015-10-04 18:53:39.599] LOAD(NVIDIA): NvAPI_Initialize() = ERROR -2
[2015-10-04 18:53:39.730] INIT: No compatible displays found.

After uninstalling the driver and installing a new one strobelight works (15.9).

GPU is r9 290x and monitor is benq xl2411t.

Why do I need the slightly older driver? Because a game I'm playing cant stretch a 4:3 resolution to a 16:9 monitor (getting black bars) except for when I use the older driver (I'm guessing driver problem which is why I always try the newest beta).
11-11-2015, 04:08 PM
(10-04-2015 07:43 PM)ryugen Wrote:  Hi there,

so I used strobelight for an eternity on my windows 8 machines. Switched over to Windows 10 and reinstalled AMD drivers (15.7) + strobelight.

-> No compatible display found.

Log gives me:
[2015-10-04 18:53:39.589] LOAD(AMD): LoadLibrary("atiadlxx.dll") = SUCCESS
[2015-10-04 18:53:39.598] LOAD(AMD): ADL_Main_Control_Create() = SUCCESS
[2015-10-04 18:53:39.599] LOAD(NVIDIA): NvAPI_Initialize() = ERROR -2
[2015-10-04 18:53:39.730] INIT: No compatible displays found.

After uninstalling the driver and installing a new one strobelight works (15.9).

GPU is r9 290x and monitor is benq xl2411t.

Why do I need the slightly older driver? Because a game I'm playing cant stretch a 4:3 resolution to a 16:9 monitor (getting black bars) except for when I use the older driver (I'm guessing driver problem which is why I always try the newest beta).

Hello, I am having the same issue. just installed windows 10. i upgraded from 7, i have an AMD 7700 and an Asus VG248 and it worked fine before windows 10. i had to downgrade my video drivers to run 4:3 in streched as well. i guess i can try another video driver and see if it works.
11-11-2015, 06:10 PM
Looks like Windows 10 is causing all sorts of nice friendly problems, huh?
I was using 15.10 on windows 7 on my VG248QE and it unlocked Lightboost, although it took around 350 passes to do it. I'm back on my XL2720Z and can't be bothered hooking up my VG248 to test 15.11, which I upgraded to two days ago to fix Black Ops 3 stuttering on high textures (I have rather serious medical issues right now, sorry).
11-20-2015, 03:02 AM
Windows 10 likewise broke this for me. I ran the strobelight-setup to uninstall. Updated my nvidia drivers. rebooted. Ran the setup again to add 120 for my VGH278 and used the win+r shell:startup (On the first page) to reinstall strobelight. I have my 3D green light on startup, very nice.

I checked the file sizes, and the newer one is larger. I think windows 7 version was out of date and maybe not even started on startup. So I'd try that if you have problems after restarting.
11-29-2015, 07:04 AM
(10-04-2015 07:43 PM)ryugen Wrote:  Why do I need the slightly older driver? Because a game I'm playing cant stretch a 4:3 resolution to a 16:9 monitor (getting black bars) except for when I use the older driver (I'm guessing driver problem which is why I always try the newest beta).

(11-11-2015 04:08 PM)ECAGaming Wrote:  Hello, I am having the same issue. just installed windows 10. i upgraded from 7, i have an AMD 7700 and an Asus VG248 and it worked fine before windows 10. i had to downgrade my video drivers to run 4:3 in streched as well. i guess i can try another video driver and see if it works.

I can't do anything about driver bugs. Has the Crimson driver fixed the scaling issues?