Strobelight - LightBoost Utility for AMD/ATI and NVIDIA
02-16-2014, 12:57 AM
RE: Strobelight - LightBoost Utility for AMD/ATI and NVIDIA
(02-15-2014 07:13 PM)Wildman Wrote:  I installed the first link, then restarted. I then noticed I lost 3d vision came back to the post and saw that 3d vision users should use the second link. I then installed the second one. But 3d vision still does not work.
I don't see why it wouldn't work. Have you tried running the 3D Vision setup wizard again?

(02-15-2014 07:13 PM)Wildman Wrote:  I am at a loss with how this works. I understand that get it reduces motion blur. But I dont really understand how. I also do not understand what is meant by the term strobe.
Strobing makes the backlight flicker in sync with the refresh rate. Motion blur is caused by persistence of vision combined with sample and hold displays. Sample and hold displays like LCD monitors leave the image on the screen for the entire refresh, so the image that sticks to your eyes blends with the image that's still on the screen, causing a blurring effect when your eyes are following motion. Strobing eliminates that by only turning on the backlight for a split second, so there's nothing left on the screen to blend with while your eyes are moving. This is why CRT monitors have clear motion.

(02-15-2014 07:13 PM)Wildman Wrote:  My monitor has a responses 1ms G2G i belive that means Grey 2 Grey
I dont really get what that is all about either. LOL!!
Response time is how long the pixels take to change from one color to another. This can vary depending on what colors are involved. Slow response times can cause ghosting or trailing effects.

(02-15-2014 07:13 PM)Wildman Wrote:  I think the best option for me would be to uninstal both versions of strobelight I think thier both on the compute conflicting with each other and then just reinstall the one that is approraite for 3d vission.
Installed refresh rates can't conflict with each other because installing will overwrite the old settings. Just make sure you are running the correct version of strobelight.exe.

(02-15-2014 07:13 PM)Wildman Wrote:  But the other puzzling problem I had was selecting the correct refresh rates upon installation. I did not really know which refresh rates to pick.

My monitor can go up to 144 hertz and ideally for 2D gaming I'd like it to play at 144 hertz

I understand that if you wanna go 3D gaming it has to be 120 only as it is 60 hertz per eye.
You'll need 120 Hz for 3D Vision, and you'll need one of the strobing refresh rates for LightBoost. The setup program already selects 120 Hz and 121 Hz for you. You can add 144 Hz if you want, but LightBoost monitors can't strobe at 144 Hz.

(02-15-2014 07:13 PM)Wildman Wrote:  Would using lightboost during 2d gaming to reduce motion blur, "reduce" the longetivity of my monitor or my gpu for that matter ?
No, the backlight flickers anyway to control brightness. LightBoost just reduces the flicker rate to match the refresh rate.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Strobelight - LightBoost Utility for AMD/ATI and NVIDIA - ToastyX - 02-16-2014 12:57 AM
3D Vision WITHOUT LightBoost??? - weasel - 02-19-2014, 08:07 AM
RE: GeForce 344.11 - jayache80 - 10-06-2014, 02:25 AM
uninstalling failed? - l8nite - 11-04-2014, 06:21 PM
ASUS MG248Q - TeddyTries - 12-24-2019, 04:27 AM