Monitor Tests Forum

Full Version: AMD/ATI clock patcher with Radeon HD8650G
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,
I have an HP Pavilion laptop 17-e049wm which has the AMD A10-5750m with Radeon HD8650G. I am using a Seike 39" SE39UY04 4K monitor (TV) over HDMI 1.4 and Windows 8.1. Will the Pixel Clock Patcher work in removing the 330 mhz limit on this setup allowing me to select 4k resolution? Just want some feedback that there are no known issues before I try it and cause any damage or render my laptop unusable.

Thanks
Mike
The 330 MHz limit is for dual-link DVI. HDMI has lower limits, either 165 MHz, or up to 297 MHz for HDMI 1.4. The patch will remove the 165 MHz limit but not the 297 MHz limit because the hardware can't handle much more than that. You shouldn't need the patch to get 3840x2160 @ 30 Hz anyway.
(08-04-2014 11:32 PM)ToastyX Wrote: [ -> ]The 330 MHz limit is for dual-link DVI. HDMI has lower limits, either 165 MHz, or up to 297 MHz for HDMI 1.4. The patch will remove the 165 MHz limit but not the 297 MHz limit because the hardware can't handle much more than that. You shouldn't need the patch to get 3840x2160 @ 30 Hz anyway.

So should I just use the Custom Resolution Utility without the patch, because the best option that windows shows is 1080p?
(08-04-2014 11:32 PM)ToastyX Wrote: [ -> ]The 330 MHz limit is for dual-link DVI. HDMI has lower limits, either 165 MHz, or up to 297 MHz for HDMI 1.4. The patch will remove the 165 MHz limit but not the 297 MHz limit because the hardware can't handle much more than that. You shouldn't need the patch to get 3840x2160 @ 30 Hz anyway.

I attempted to use the CRU tool with no luck. The 3840x2160 at 30 hz is displayed under Detailed Resolutions (it is the only entry there), I click OK, reboot, and it still will not go above 1080. I did try unchecking extension block. What am I doing wrong? Is there something I am supposed to do in CRU to actually select this new resolution? I did 1st update the latest radeon and catalyst drivers.

Thanks for your help
Mike
You need the patch if the extension block is disabled. Try importing the hdmi-audio.dat file in CRU first and leave the extension block enabled. If that doesn't work, try it with the patch. If that still doesn't work, try the patch with the extension block disabled. If that doesn't work, then the laptop might have other limitations that prevent HDMI from working past 165 MHz pixel clock. You really shouldn't have to do anything special to get 3840x2160 @ 30 Hz because the TV supports that out of the box.
(08-07-2014 10:53 AM)ToastyX Wrote: [ -> ]You need the patch if the extension block is disabled. Try importing the hdmi-audio.dat file in CRU first and leave the extension block enabled. If that doesn't work, try it with the patch. If that still doesn't work, try the patch with the extension block disabled. If that doesn't work, then the laptop might have other limitations that prevent HDMI from working past 165 MHz pixel clock. You really shouldn't have to do anything special to get 3840x2160 @ 30 Hz because the TV supports that out of the box.

Before I tried to import the hdmi-audio.dat I decided to patch the driver then use the cru utility again with the extension block checked. That did the trick, guess we needed to remove the 165 mhz clock limitation. Thank you for your help.
Mike
Reference URL's