Monitor Tests Forum

Full Version: Alienware AW3225QF - Removing Dolby Vision block doesn't work
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just trying to remove the dolby vision block because of the odd way it functions on this monitor. It forces dv mode if it detects anything using auto hdr in windows. I've removed the dv block using cru but it doesn't seem to do anything on the latest nvidia driver (551.23).

In an older version of the nvidia driver (546.17) the block is not there and dv doesn't activate on the monitor. Here's the exported EDID if anyone wants to take a look at it.
Don't make the same post in two places. You should report driver issues to NVIDIA.
(02-03-2024 02:13 PM)ToastyX Wrote: [ -> ]Don't make the same post in two places. You should report driver issues to NVIDIA.

It has already been reported. According to nvidia, it's working the way it's supposed to in 551.23. It was working incorrectly in 546.17. That's why I'm trying to remove the dolby vision information from the EDID. If removing it using CRU doesn't do anything, does that mean nvidia it's getting the dolby vision information from somewhere else?
I'm not sure if they understood you correctly because deleting the Dolby Vision data block should disable it. This seems like a driver issue, but also Dell needs to add a way to disable Dolby Vision in the monitor.
(02-06-2024 02:46 AM)ToastyX Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not sure if they understood you correctly because deleting the Dolby Vision data block should disable it. This seems like a driver issue, but also Dell needs to add a way to disable Dolby Vision in the monitor.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/for...n/3422338/

Here's the response from nvidia. I spoke to Dell about this and they also say it's working as intended in the latest driver version. In HDR, it defaults to dolby vision and will only switch if the content being displayed is native hdr10. Anything else will use dolby vision.
I'm having the same issue. This is an excellent tool but unfortunately Dolby Video is greyed out. Apparently Dolby Vison is always active in Windows and with this monitor there is no way to simply toggle it off. I've contacted Dell and they said it's working as intended. I tried my best to express that this is going to result in a ton of returns, including me. I encouraged them to check reddit, this is a dealbreaker and not just for me. It's kind of funny if you look at the Asus version that is upcoming, they clearly state that Dolby Vision can simply be toggled off. Dell won't even acknowledge that it is an issue. I tried the CRU and I have the same result, DV is greyed out unfortunately. Regardless if Windows is responsible for DV always defaulting, a simple toggle to disable DV entirely would fix the issue but it seems to be falling on deaf ears at Dell. I'm still in my return window and I think there's no choice but to go that route and roll the dice with the new Asus or MSI when they release. Nvidia says it's not their fault which actually makes sense. Whether or not Windows is causing it to default to DV should make zero difference to Dell, they could simply update the firmware to allow us to disable DV altogether. That seriously cannot be that hard.
(02-06-2024 03:46 PM)emusnoc Wrote: [ -> ]https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/for...n/3422338/

Here's the response from nvidia. I spoke to Dell about this and they also say it's working as intended in the latest driver version. In HDR, it defaults to dolby vision and will only switch if the content being displayed is native hdr10. Anything else will use dolby vision.
That doesn't say anything about deleting the Dolby Vision data block.
(02-07-2024 12:35 PM)ToastyX Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-06-2024 03:46 PM)emusnoc Wrote: [ -> ]https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/for...n/3422338/

That doesn't say anything about deleting the Dolby Vision data block.
Well yes...I was talking about the way DV behaves on the monitor and in the driver. Telling nvidia that removing the block doesn't do anything wouldn't really help..would it? In their eyes they don't see a problem and neither does Dell.
(02-07-2024 01:04 PM)emusnoc Wrote: [ -> ]Telling nvidia that removing the block doesn't do anything wouldn't really help..would it?
Isn't that the problem though? Only NVIDIA can fix that. The issue with Dolby Vision being active by default is a separate issue.
https://www.dell.com/community/en/conver...word=Aw322

Welp, for anyone else trying to figure out a solution to this problem, Dell has announced that they'll be adding a Dolby Vision toggle in a firmware update coming in March.
Reference URL's