Monitor Tests Forum

Full Version: weird scaling HDMI/dvi issue. please help fake dvi over HDMI.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My TV only does proper dot by dot scaling via hdmi if the source is a dvi connection.

Is there a way I can trick my TV into thinking I'm using a dvi port instead of HDMI?

The TV is a Philips 46" 46PFL3705D/F7

edit: i installed the ati clock patch and ran cru. The highest custom res I can get is 1916x1052 before my tv has a stoke saying change the res. At this resolution the dot by dot option is available. If i go any higher than 1916x1070 is switches back to 1080p mode and removes the dot by dot option.

When I had it connected over dvi to hdmi adapter I was able to select the full 1920x1080 resolution while still having dot by dot.
If you disable the extension block, the TV will be treated as DVI, but that will also disable HDMI audio. You shouldn't need the pixel clock patch at 1920x1080 unless you're trying to add higher refresh rates.
I did disable the extension block and it still detected it as HDMI at 1920x1080.

I tried the patch because my TV is supposed to support 120hz. When I set the custom refresh rate my TV crashes and reboots.
Where does it show HDMI? The HDMI port should work like a single-link DVI port with the extension block disabled. Try importing the blank-extension.dat file to override the extension block with a blank one. If that doesn't work, then the TV is doing something weird with the resolution. Try using the "LCD reduced" timing option for 1920x1080 @ 60 Hz.
When I tested it via dvi out/HDMI in, when I would press the info button it would display 1920x1080:60hz and also give me the dot by dot option.

When I have it HDMI to HDMI it shows 1080p and only gives me 16:9 4:3 modes.

The manufacturer in their infinite wisdom thought having it try and detect the difference between a computer or bluray player was a good idea.

I'm wondering if it does some kind of pin detection, detects missing audio pins or something.

I'm going to take some pictures and I'm going to try an hdmi>dvi>dvi>hdmi cable and see what happens.

Holy crap it worked with reduced timings, I can even leave the extension block enabled.
What exactly does that do?

My tv is also supposed to support 120hz. I also tried reduced timings with 120hz and it didn't work. Just having dot by dot at 1920x1080 is great though.

Thank you so much for everything you do. Is there any way I can pay you for this? Bitcoin maybe? You seriously saved me from buying a new TV, I owe you something.

Whoa, that is the weirdest thing I've seen in a while. As soon as I start a video, my screen starts to stretch towards the left. I have to alt-f4 to kill the process then my tv reboots.

I'm going to try older amd drivers. I'm using an a6-3400m mobile apu.
No luck with Catalyst 13.12, the video still stretches to the right. I managed to alt-f4 the program before it crashed and it caused the upper right corner to go laggy. Running restart64 fixed it.

I suppose I may have to buy some adapters after all and test that.
Reference URL's