Monitor Tests Forum

Full Version: Need help with downsampling on HP Compaq LA2405x
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, I literally just started using your software, and it seem like a very interesting thing and something I would like to do with my own display. I've tried multiple times now following all steps and it goes into the resolution (2560x1440 instead of my monitors native 1920x1200) but everything just becomes smaller, it has less definition and my monitor tells me to switch back to my native, so yeah.. If you have any suggestions or ways to solve this, please answer as I would love to get that HD going Big Grin
I don't have downsampling software. Your monitor must support the resolution.

(01-15-2015 02:54 PM)MadPixie Wrote: [ -> ]everything just becomes smaller, it has less definition
Isn't that normal for downsampling?
Referring to: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=366244 and http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=...tcount=167 I can use your software to SuperSample. I wrote the wrong word haha, Supersample is what I meant, as in I put a higher resolution than my monitor is, then that SHOULD be f. ex. 2560x1440 on a 1920x1200 which means I get a higher definition of the picture, as if you would be watching a 1440p video on YouTube on a 1080p monitor, you just get a compacted version of 1440 which makes edges less visible and so on (helping alot with AA) and this is called SSAA (SuperSample Anti-Aliasing) which downsamples an image (or frame in my case (at least should)) to remove jagged edges and by doing this it should refine the graphics of games and increase the definition of images (Referring to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supersampling) I would be very glad if I could get some help with this, as I am new to the whole Anti-Aliasing scene, and for my friend his Nvidia card optimised the resolution itself to be 1440p on his 1080p monitor, and according to him the results are amazing,"it is as if you would go from graphics setting Normal to Ultra" were his words about it.

Best regards , and waiting for an answer MadPixie.
(01-16-2015 11:54 AM)MadPixie Wrote: [ -> ]I would be very glad if I could get some help with this
I don't know what you need help with. You haven't described what the problem is. You haven't given any details like what video card you're using or how you have the monitor connected or what settings you're using or anything like that.
Sorry, didn't think of that initially, connected my monitor by DVI to my AMD Sapphire HD 7900 Series. The problem is that when I set the resolution I want, instead of scaling it down to my native so I get a sharper image, it just becomes that resolution that I set and it all becomes pixelated, just like if you would try to fit a big physical picture into a small picture frame, you have to bend it and compress it so it fits. That's my problem.

My settings are pretty much default, I just set it to override Vsync and similar stuff if it can on games.
Does your video card have one DVI port or two? If it has two, is the monitor connected to the dual-link DVI port or the single-link DVI port? Are you using the pixel clock patch?

7000-series and older cards only have one dual-link DVI port. If the card has another DVI port, it will be a single-link DVI port.

60 Hz monitors 1920x1200 and lower always use single-link DVI. If you send a dual-link DVI signal to a single-link DVI monitor, the monitor will only receive one of the links and lose half the pixels, and you'll get a pixelated image that is then scaled, resulting in an ugly picture.

On single-link DVI ports, the driver will not enumerate resolutions beyond 165 MHz pixel clock. If the monitor is connected to a single-link DVI port, you need to patch the driver to allow higher pixel clocks: https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Threa...ck-Patcher

On dual-link DVI ports, the driver will send a dual-link DVI signal if the pixel clock is greater than 165 MHz. The patch only raises this to 230 MHz to keep compatibility with dual-link DVI monitors. That's not enough for 2560x1440 @ 60 Hz. If the monitor is connected to a dual-link DVI port, you need to use a special version of the pixel clock patch to always send a single-link DVI signal: https://www.monitortests.com/atikmdag-pa...sl-1.3.zip (in the next version, you can just rename the file instead of downloading a separate version)

That's assuming your monitor will accept higher resolutions and can handle higher pixel clocks. Many monitors will not, and some will display a "not optimum mode" or similar message. The quality will depend on the monitor's own scaling. You should try 2560x1600 to maintain the proper aspect ratio, or if the monitor can't handle that, try a lower resolution like 2304x1440.

CRU is not a downsampling tool, so whether higher resolutions work at all depends on the monitor and the pixel clock limitations. I don't know why people keep recommending CRU for downsampling without explaining the limitations. I don't know how people are getting it to work without taking all this into account.
It has 2 DVI ports, one white one black, one has 4 sticks around a rectangular shape. 7000 series and older as in mine is newer? since I got mine in 2012. What should I do so it works? :/ if it is impossible say so now at once and I will not other you any more Smile
(01-18-2015 12:33 AM)MadPixie Wrote: [ -> ]It has 2 DVI ports, one white one black, one has 4 sticks around a rectangular shape. 7000 series and older as in mine is newer? since I got mine in 2012. What should I do so it works?
I already told you what you should do. I don't know what else to say. You have a 7000-series card. It has one dual-link DVI port and one single-link DVI port. Just use the special version of the patch if you don't need dual-link DVI. That should cover both ports.
Oh ok thanks then.
Reference URL's