Monitor Tests Forum

Full Version: Can a single link DVI card ever feed a dual link monitor?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi and thanks for reading my first ever post here. I've obtained a 27" Hazro IPS monitor which I want to use on a non-gaming PC. Because it doesn't have a built-in scaler, it has to run at its native resolution of 2560 x 1440 and to do this it only has one input, a dual link DVI-D socket. My graphics card is an Asus Radeon R7 250 and this has VGA, single link DVI and HDMI outputs. The specs say it achieves a maximum DVI resolution of 2560 x 1600. Since a single link DVI connection tops out at 1980 x 1200, I can only assume it is the HDMI connection which gives maximum resolution.

I guess a simple passive HDMI to DL DVI cable will not work because you can't connect 3 data lines to 6 data lines without some electronic jiggery pokery. Will the Custom Resolution Utility help me? Connecting the card to the monitor currently just gives a blank screen. Hoping somebody has "been there, done that" and can tell me how. Perhaps a DL-DVI Radeon HD5450 for £21 is my only solution.
Yes, it's possible if the monitor can handle a single-link signal. You can use the pixel clock patcher to modify the video driver to allow higher pixel clocks with single-link DVI: https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Threa...ck-Patcher

It might also be possible without modifying the driver by using Custom Resolution Utility to create a custom extension block with an HDMI support data block. That will make the driver treat the monitor as an HDMI display (even on DVI ports), which allows higher pixel clocks on most newer cards.
Thanks ToastyX, it's great to get a definitive answer straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak. So it all comes down to finding out IF the Hazro can handle a single link input with higher pixel clocks on its dual link DVI connector. I guess I can hook up my 1920 x 1200 Dell U2412 via the card's HDMI using an adapter so I can see what I'm doing and have the Hazro on the single link DVI output waiting to burst into life when I've mastered the Patcher/CRU software?

I realise I'm at the bottom of a steep learning curve, it is a lot to take in for a mere girlie Blush I may have to dye my hair away from blonde Big Grin
(07-29-2015 05:13 AM)Toobad Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks ToastyX, it's great to get a definitive answer straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak. So it all comes down to finding out IF the Hazro can handle a single link input with higher pixel clocks on its dual link DVI connector. I guess I can hook up my 1920 x 1200 Dell U2412 via the card's HDMI using an adapter so I can see what I'm doing and have the Hazro on the single link DVI output waiting to burst into life when I've mastered the Patcher/CRU software?
That's all it takes. Keep in mind that if you use the patcher, you'll have to patch the driver again after driver updates. The settings in CRU usually stick between driver updates, but not always.
Reference URL's