Monitor Tests Forum

Full Version: Overlord 120Hz with GTX 690, only 110 with 980 Ti
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I had a GTX 690 for the past 3 years, and my monitor was an Overlord 2560x1440x120Hz (using a thick 24AWG Dual DVI cable).
It was running at 120Hz (only in games. 60 Hz desktop) with no issue at all.

I just replaced the card with a 980 Ti, but i can't go past 110Hz without having sporadic green lines appearing at random places.

I knew that the Monitor and the Cable could be the cause of thoose artefacts, but i din't know the card itself (especially a Newer card), could be the cause of these kind of troubles. RAMDAC seems to be of the same kind (400 Mhz).

Monitor and cable are the exact same as before, and i tried several DVI connectors on the card, but no luck.

Can i do something or do i have to live with it? Is it the RAMDAC not able to go far above 400 MHz?

When using displayport, does it go through the RAMDAC? (I guess not since the max resolution on displayport is 5120x3200x60Hz)
Is there a Displayport to DVI adapter able to cope with 2560x1440x120Hz ???

I am using pixel clock patcher (don't remeber if i applied the full or not on the new card).

Thanks
(09-07-2015 11:30 AM)Zouby Wrote: [ -> ]I just replaced the card with a 980 Ti, but i can't go past 110Hz without having sporadic green lines appearing at random places.

I knew that the Monitor and the Cable could be the cause of thoose artefacts, but i din't know the card itself (especially a Newer card), could be the cause of these kind of troubles.
I've heard several reports about some 900-series cards having lower-quality DVI ports than older cards. I don't know if that applies to all 900-series cards or if that depends on the manufacturer, but there's nothing you can do other than try another card.

(09-07-2015 11:30 AM)Zouby Wrote: [ -> ]Can i do something or do i have to live with it? Is it the RAMDAC not able to go far above 400 MHz?

When using displayport, does it go through the RAMDAC? (I guess not since the max resolution on displayport is 5120x3200x60Hz)
DVI and DisplayPort don't use the RAMDAC. The RAMDAC is for VGA only. The driver was applying the RAMDAC limit to DVI with older cards, but that doesn't affect 600-series and newer cards, and the patch gets around that for 400/500-series cards. SLI has a separate limit which also happens to be 400 MHz, but that doesn't apply to the Titan, GTX 780, and 900-series cards, and the patch gets around that for older cards.

(09-07-2015 11:30 AM)Zouby Wrote: [ -> ]Is there a Displayport to DVI adapter able to cope with 2560x1440x120Hz ???
No.

(09-07-2015 11:30 AM)Zouby Wrote: [ -> ]I am using pixel clock patcher (don't remeber if i applied the full or not on the new card).
You don't need the patch with the 980 Ti if you use the NVIDIA control panel to add custom resolutions. You only need the patch if you're using CRU, and the 980 Ti doesn't need the full patch for SLI.
Argg...the one i have is a great overclocker, it is a Gigabyte G1 and it reach 1500Mhz/8Ghz (i didn't bother trying above 8Ghz) with ease despite it's low ASIC (71%, but the original cooling is already nice). Don't even know if i can convice my reseller to swap cards now.

I still use CRU because it worked better than nvidia control panel (same res/timings would not pass in nvpanel and worked great with CRU on my GTX 690). I will give a try with NVpanel only and no patch (I can reach 120Hz in NVpanel. But i have green lines).
It won't help for the green lines but at least i won't have to mess with the drivers.

Thank Toastyx
Have you tried Precision X for the OC? http://www.evga.com/precision/
I used it before, but i switched to afterburner for the 64 bit OSD support some time ago.
I guess they all have 64 bit OSD support now. Didn't switch back.
Reference URL's