Monitor Tests Forum

Full Version: 120 hz HDMI
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello,

I have purchased an Acer predator gn246hlbbid 144hz monitor. I'd like to use it with my Lenovo ideapad 700 laptop which only has HDMI port. I can't choose 120hz in the intel graphic driver settings and I was trying to use CRU with no luck. I have done testing with an other 144hz monitor in a store and after plugging it in it displayed the option for 120hz and worked without any exta steps straight away. That was with a basic HDMI cable. I have tried 2 cables and they are the same now I cannot set 120hz what so ever.
Please help me to solve this somehow as I'm on a budget and purchased this display just to achieve 120hz.Sad
My monitor setting menu shows 1920 x 1080 H:132 KHZ V120 HZ as video output but at HDMI input it shows 68 KHZ 60HZ.

Thank you in advance,
KLZ the struggling man
Does that monitor support 120 Hz with HDMI? Usually 120 Hz only works with DVI or DisplayPort. Did you try the same monitor at the store or was it a different model?
(06-08-2017 07:25 PM)ToastyX Wrote: [ -> ]Does that monitor support 120 Hz with HDMI? Usually 120 Hz only works with DVI or DisplayPort. Did you try the same monitor at the store or was it a different model?

The monitor supports up to 144HZ. The store I was trying a different monitor with regular HDMI cable. Btw after some testing I managed to get 120hz with a HDMI to DVI cable on 1024x768 resolution but for some reason its not working with regular HDMI. When I'm trying to set a custom resolution to 1920x1080 @ 120 HZ the intel driver gives me an error msg "Custom Resolution Exceeds Maximum Bandwidth Capacity". It does the same for the now working 120hz on HD with regular HDMI.
I was trying to use CRU to implement 1920x1080 120hz to my intel driver but it is not appearing on the dropdown list when I'm chosing resolution.
I believe that the message you're getting is the final answer: "Custom Resolution Exceeds Maximum Bandwidth Capacity".

AFAIK, only Display Port or DVI can support 120Hz at that resolution, it's not about the monitor but the HDMI cable just not having enough bandwidth. If you really want 120Hz then you'd have to lower the resolution or try another PC with Display Port/DVI no matter what. I use a projector at 120Hz 720p and the main reason I haven't upgraded to a 1080p one is because they're all HDMI and therefore impossible to reach 120Hz.
(06-09-2017 06:08 AM)DeFierro Wrote: [ -> ]I believe that the message you're getting is the final answer: "Custom Resolution Exceeds Maximum Bandwidth Capacity".

AFAIK, only Display Port or DVI can support 120Hz at that resolution, it's not about the monitor but the HDMI cable just not having enough bandwidth. If you really want 120Hz then you'd have to lower the resolution or try another PC with Display Port/DVI no matter what. I use a projector at 120Hz 720p and the main reason I haven't upgraded to a 1080p one is because they're all HDMI and therefore impossible to reach 120Hz.
I have tested it on an other monitor before and got 120hz on Full HD after plugging it in. I was also able to choose 120hz in the intel driver without a problem. Cable was a normal HDMI.
(06-08-2017 08:47 PM)120hzpls Wrote: [ -> ]The monitor supports up to 144HZ. The store I was trying a different monitor with regular HDMI cable. Btw after some testing I managed to get 120hz with a HDMI to DVI cable on 1024x768 resolution but for some reason its not working with regular HDMI. When I'm trying to set a custom resolution to 1920x1080 @ 120 HZ the intel driver gives me an error msg "Custom Resolution Exceeds Maximum Bandwidth Capacity". It does the same for the now working 120hz on HD with regular HDMI.
I was trying to use CRU to implement 1920x1080 120hz to my intel driver but it is not appearing on the dropdown list when I'm chosing resolution.
That monitor does not support 144 Hz with HDMI. I'm asking specifically about HDMI. Does that monitor support 120 Hz with HDMI? 144 Hz monitors usually don't support 120 Hz with HDMI. Some models might, but I don't think that Acer does. You need to use dual-link DVI with that monitor. HDMI-DVI cables are single-link.

CRU can't read the extension block with Intel GPUs, so it might not be overriding correctly. Try importing the hdmi.dat file. Then add 1920x1080 @ 120 Hz manually as a detailed resolution using the "LCD standard" timing option.
(06-09-2017 02:30 PM)ToastyX Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-08-2017 08:47 PM)120hzpls Wrote: [ -> ]The monitor supports up to 144HZ. The store I was trying a different monitor with regular HDMI cable. Btw after some testing I managed to get 120hz with a HDMI to DVI cable on 1024x768 resolution but for some reason its not working with regular HDMI. When I'm trying to set a custom resolution to 1920x1080 @ 120 HZ the intel driver gives me an error msg "Custom Resolution Exceeds Maximum Bandwidth Capacity". It does the same for the now working 120hz on HD with regular HDMI.
That monitor does not support 144 Hz with HDMI. I'm asking specifically about HDMI. Does that monitor support 120 Hz with HDMI? 144 Hz monitors usually don't support 120 Hz with HDMI. Some models might, but I don't think that Acer does. You need to use dual-link DVI with that monitor. HDMI-DVI cables are single-link.

CRU can't read the extension block with Intel GPUs, so it might not be overriding correctly. Try importing the hdmi.dat file. Then add 1920x1080 @ 120 Hz manually as a detailed resolution using the "LCD standard" timing option.

I have managed to make it work with the HDMI-DVI cable and the file you provided but not with the regular HDMI. 1920x1080 120hz is working now but my monitor menu gives me a floating error window saying "Incorrect cable. Please use the dual link DVI cable that came with your monitor." Do you think there is a possible workaround? I have a perfect picture on 120 hz it must be some setting issue and the monitor supports it otherwise could I even get the picture? Please see attached photo.
It's really cunfusing for me. I really appreciate your help and what you do hopefully now we are some steps closer to solving this.

Thanks for your time.
(06-09-2017 06:44 PM)120hzpls Wrote: [ -> ]I have managed to make it work with the HDMI-DVI cable and the file you provided but not with the regular HDMI. 1920x1080 120hz is working now but my monitor menu gives me a floating error window saying "Incorrect cable. Please use the dual link DVI cable that came with your monitor." Do you think there is a possible workaround?
No because as I said, you need to use dual-link DVI with that monitor. HDMI-DVI is single-link, which is why you're getting that message. Even though you're getting a picture, you're basically running the DVI port out of spec, which the monitor doesn't officially support. The ASUS VG248QE behaves the same way, although it will let you dismiss the message by pressing the menu button. The proper solution is to get a monitor that actually supports 1920x1080 @ 120 Hz with HDMI like the one you tried at the store.
(06-11-2017 06:18 AM)ToastyX Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-09-2017 06:44 PM)120hzpls Wrote: [ -> ]I have managed to make it work with the HDMI-DVI cable and the file you provided but not with the regular HDMI. 1920x1080 120hz is working now but my monitor menu gives me a floating error window saying "Incorrect cable. Please use the dual link DVI cable that came with your monitor." Do you think there is a possible workaround?
No because as I said, you need to use dual-link DVI with that monitor. HDMI-DVI is single-link, which is why you're getting that message. Even though you're getting a picture, you're basically running the DVI port out of spec, which the monitor doesn't officially support. The ASUS VG248QE behaves the same way, although it will let you dismiss the message by pressing the menu button. The proper solution is to get a monitor that actually supports 1920x1080 @ 120 Hz with HDMI like the one you tried at the store.
Now I can not even set it as I had before with the error msg. My custom resolution is not appearing in the intel driver but 'm following your instructions I don't know why it is like that. I have contacted Asus support will see what they say hopefully next week. If it's not going to work I'm going to have to return the monitor for a refund. I'll give my update. Even if I could close the error window on the screen I'm not able to get to that point where I have the resolution and refresh as when I had on the photo.
SOME 144hz monitors HDMI 1.4 support 120hz over HDMI. But VERY few. All HDMI 2.0 monitors support 120hz over HDMI.
The only 144hz monitor that was proven to support 120hz over HDMI was some Korean made monitor, and the service manual even listed 120hz over HDMI as supported natively, and I don't remember which one it was (You can go search on blurbusters for an old thread on it if you want the proof).

The HDMI 1.4 specification actually allows 120hz over HDMI, but the problem is that most monitors use TDMS (?) chips that are only rated for 75hz (165 mhz) pixel clock maximum at 1920x1080, which is the same as DVI single link, because they just use the lowest end part which works. Only that Korean monitor (you have to go search for the name on blurbusters) uses chips that can run HDMI at 120hz at 1080p.

HDMI 2.0 does not have this limitation.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's