Monitor Tests Forum

Full Version: Overclocking Help - Acer G257HL BMIDX
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm attempting to overclock this monitor hopefully up to 75hz (one Amazon reviewer got up this high). My build uses a XFX R9 280X and I have Radeon Settings installed. Using Win10 64-bit. Monitor is connected to the pc via hdmi, though I don't know the hdmi version.

So far, I have tried both Radeon Settings and CRU to overclock this monitor. In Radeon Settings, I've gone to Display, create custom resolution, and changed to 61, 70, and 75 followed by going to the desktop, right-clicking, display settings, display adapter, then monitor tab and selecting the new refresh rate. The screen blacks out when saving the custom resolution in Radeon Settings and after selecting the new refresh is display settings, but when I go to the ufo test site, that site reports 60 refresh (the bar beneath the ufo animation always goes to "Ready", though.

Using CRU, I follow the instructions to add the new refresh rates, change to LCD Standard, and then restart64 to restart the driver, then go into the windows display settings, monitor tab, and select the new refresh, and, again, ufo test with a reported 60 refresh.

Can anyone help me find a guide for this specific model or provide some advice on what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.
If you can select the refresh rate in the Windows display settings, then the refresh rate should be working correctly on the video card's end. You can check the info section in the monitor's OSD to see what refresh rate it's actually receiving.

The UFO test reporting the wrong refresh rate usually indicates a browser-specific VSync issue and not necessarily a problem with the actual refresh rate. Make sure hardware acceleration is enabled in the browser, and make sure you're only using one monitor while running the test. VSync on the desktop doesn't work well with multiple monitors.
(08-31-2017 10:14 PM)ToastyX Wrote: [ -> ]If you can select the refresh rate in the Windows display settings, then the refresh rate should be working correctly on the video card's end. You can check the info section in the monitor's OSD to see what refresh rate it's actually receiving.

The UFO test reporting the wrong refresh rate usually indicates a browser-specific VSync issue and not necessarily a problem with the actual refresh rate. Make sure hardware acceleration is enabled in the browser, and make sure you're only using one monitor while running the test. VSync on the desktop doesn't work well with multiple monitors.

Thanks, Toasty.

When you say the monitor's OSD do you mean activating the monitor's display settings via the buttons on the monitor and checking that to confirm what the refresh rate is?

I tried verifying that hardware acceleration was turned on in Chrome, but couldn't find that setting.

Is there another way to confirm that the refresh rate change is actually working?
(08-31-2017 11:07 PM)JMak00 Wrote: [ -> ]When you say the monitor's OSD do you mean activating the monitor's display settings via the buttons on the monitor and checking that to confirm what the refresh rate is?
Yes, using the monitor's menus. The info section should tell you what refresh rate it's receiving.

(08-31-2017 11:07 PM)JMak00 Wrote: [ -> ]I tried verifying that hardware acceleration was turned on in Chrome, but couldn't find that setting.
Should be in the "Advanced" settings, all the way near the bottom in the "System" section. Try Edge or Firefox as well.

This site also tests VSync in the browser: http://www.vsynctester.com/

(08-31-2017 11:07 PM)JMak00 Wrote: [ -> ]Is there another way to confirm that the refresh rate change is actually working?
Run a full screen game with VSync on and an FPS counter. Make sure the game doesn't have a frame rate cap. The frame rate should match the refresh rate unless the GPU can't keep up.

That won't check for frame skipping though. If you have a 500/1000 Hz mouse, you can test for frame skipping by moving the mouse cursor in a circle while taking a picture with a camera using a slow shutter speed like 1/10. There should be no obvious gaps between each frame.
Reference URL's