Monitor Tests Forum

Full Version: ASUS VG248QE - Non-default aspect ratio and display scaling, is it enabled?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there,

So I use stretched resolutions for my games (lower Field of View, stretched hitboxes, preference) due to my bothersome eyesight and like to take advantage of my monitor's display scaling feature since I find NVIDIA's GPU scaling to provide a feeling of delay/sluggishness (nor do I want to use the inferior Fullscreen Windowed option). This usually involves a fair bit of trickery, some games are happy, some games won't force itself back to 1080p if I have the 1080p refresh rate set at 145Hz (it's a 144hz monitor), and some require me to set up the resolution via NVIDIA control panel rather than using CRU (but this disallows the use of 1080p in games, a nuisance).

Anyway, I want to take advantage of my monitor's built-in crosshair and it was implemented off-centre: I've managed to find an aspect ratio which corrects this off-centredness and wish to use it. However, the Aspect Ratio menu option which is available with a recognised resolution such as 1280x960 (4:3) is greyed out for non-recognised aspect ratios such as the one I want. However, the screen is correctly stretched and the OSD's Display Information shows the resolution I want, but is this stretching being done by the display or the GPU (I have NVIDIA scaling set to None). I'm curious as to what is dictating the Fullscreen stretching if it is the display doing the work - why is it not just showing the resolution unstretched since the Aspect Ratio option is Greyed Out (but the greyed out option is on Full though). Is this the default mode of operation for non-recognised Aspect Ratios?

Furthermore, upon adding a larger resolution and/or higher Hz resolution I discovered that I could add blackbars according to my specification (I wondered if this could help my eyes focus). The resolution that was deemed native by CRU (the lower one) was being scaled to the higher one and the OSD was showing the higher resolution (e.g. 1280x922 resolution in game to 1280x1000 on OSD). My initial impression was that there was some added delay, however, this could have been down to other factors and was wondering if there is extra processing involved which could be inefficient and cause even further 'input delay' as a result of this method.

Thanks all.
(08-02-2018 08:16 PM)Shrib Wrote: [ -> ]Anyway, I want to take advantage of my monitor's built-in crosshair and it was implemented off-centre: I've managed to find an aspect ratio which corrects this off-centredness and wish to use it. However, the Aspect Ratio menu option which is available with a recognised resolution such as 1280x960 (4:3) is greyed out for non-recognised aspect ratios such as the one I want. However, the screen is correctly stretched and the OSD's Display Information shows the resolution I want, but is this stretching being done by the display or the GPU (I have NVIDIA scaling set to None). I'm curious as to what is dictating the Fullscreen stretching if it is the display doing the work - why is it not just showing the resolution unstretched since the Aspect Ratio option is Greyed Out (but the greyed out option is on Full though). Is this the default mode of operation for non-recognised Aspect Ratios?
If the OSD shows the resolution you want, then the display is scaling. GPU scaling would show the native resolution. Monitors usually stretch to full screen by default.
Reference URL's