Monitor Tests Forum

Full Version: 60hz on 75hz monitor
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Sorry if my english isn't perfect.

I bought AOC 22V2Q and it is 75hz 5ms monitor IPS. It is quite nice for this price (that's what they say) but i am disappointed about one thing. While i try to play games on 60hz the movement is a bit ... how to say .. blurry or slower despite stable 60fps.

I was using for years LG TN monitor what was 75hz and 5ms too but i was using it as 60hz and i haven't noticed any problems like that.

on AOC as 75hz is all ok but sometimes i need to play on 60hz because i can't get stable 75fps. I use also gtx 970 windforce 3 and it is plugged by displayport.

why is this problem? isn't 5ms meaning same for both TN and IPS? How could i fix this problem? Is it possible to use AOC as 60hz without problem?
5ms doesn't mean anything. TN has better midtone transitions but is worse with high-contrast transitions. IPS is more well-rounded. Both should have some motion blur without some form of backlight strobing: https://www.blurbusters.com/faq/lcd-motion-artifacts/
how to fix my problem then?
I'm not sure exactly what you're seeing. If you're seeing PWM artifacts, setting the monitor's brightness to 100% will usually eliminate that effect. If it's motion blur, you can't really change the responsiveness of a monitor other than the refresh rate. Monitors with backlight strobing eliminate motion blur, but many of them can't strobe at 60 Hz.
there are IPS gaming monitors 60hz. even famous Acer Predator have 4ms. after experiences with mentioned LG TN i was expecting buying 75hz monitor wound't be problem. in my case on 75hz everything is fine. on 60hz movement is a bit motion blur yes but it was even on TN. but it looks slower like it was a movie in some games despite 60fps. maybe I can create some custom resolution and edit some other things in this window http://i53.tinypic.com/10p8rgw.jpg ?

i care because i can't get stable 75 fps. it is a way easier to get 60fps. i could play on 75hz pernament if the lags and stutter on any framerate below 75. it's depends on game. some games runs quite smooth even on 30fps some others like battlefield series if you get any lower then 60/75 fps picture stutter. same thing is on other monitors so it is engine problem.
The timing parameters don't affect motion other than the refresh rate. If you're not happy with the performance of a monitor, the only thing you can do is try a different monitor. If you really want to eliminate motion blur, you need a monitor that can strobe the backlight, but many of them can't do that at 60 Hz.
so only TN is good?
Reference URL's