Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
04-27-2020, 04:04 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
Hi, I just bought a new laptop running AMD integrated graphics and an Nvidia gpu. I tried to set a 144hz 1440*1080 resolution to play CSGO, which I could do on my old laptop with the intel graphics control panel. However, it does not work when I use this app with this new laptop. The laptop black screens whenever I try to switch to the new 1440*1080 resolution, but everything continues to run in the background, e.g. background music, game selecting effects, etc. It's just that it does not display anything when I switch to 1440*1080. Will you have a solution for this? Many many thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-27-2020, 04:44 PM
(04-27-2020 04:04 PM)AngusTCT Wrote:  Hi, I just bought a new laptop running AMD integrated graphics and an Nvidia gpu. I tried to set a 144hz 1440*1080 resolution to play CSGO, which I could do on my old laptop with the intel graphics control panel. However, it does not work when I use this app with this new laptop. The laptop black screens whenever I try to switch to the new 1440*1080 resolution, but everything continues to run in the background, e.g. background music, game selecting effects, etc. It's just that it does not display anything when I switch to 1440*1080. Will you have a solution for this? Many many thanks.
You need to enable GPU scaling.
04-27-2020, 11:02 PM
Ok I registered because first of all, I'd like to thank ToastyX for making this utility! This is a really useful tool. That aside, I do have a question regarding HDMI 2.1 on Sony TVs. Apparently, high end 2019 Sony TVs, specifically the x950g has a mainboard equipped with HDMI 2.1 and is just firmware locked. I'm wondering if this tool would be able to unlock HDMI 2.1 at that TV. The mods at AVS Forums deleted the discussion about FW modding, but this reddit post pretty much sums up the facts behind it.

I had been researching this for some time now so I got in touch with the poster at AVS Forum who was able to mod the X950g's FW and unlock most of the HDMI 2.1 spec features except for 4k 120hz. He told me the FW is missing the 4k 120hz "block", and it just dawned on me that CRU have an extension blocks section, so maybe CRU can unlock what he meant? Anyways I don't know much about these things so pardon my ignorance.
04-27-2020, 11:24 PM
(04-27-2020 11:02 PM)reginaldvs Wrote:  Ok I registered because first of all, I'd like to thank ToastyX for making this utility! This is a really useful tool. That aside, I do have a question regarding HDMI 2.1 on Sony TVs. Apparently, high end 2019 Sony TVs, specifically the x950g has a mainboard equipped with HDMI 2.1 and is just firmware locked. I'm wondering if this tool would be able to unlock HDMI 2.1 at that TV. The mods at AVS Forums deleted the discussion about FW modding, but this reddit post pretty much sums up the facts behind it.

I had been researching this for some time now so I got in touch with the poster at AVS Forum who was able to mod the X950g's FW and unlock most of the HDMI 2.1 spec features except for 4k 120hz. He told me the FW is missing the 4k 120hz "block", and it just dawned on me that CRU have an extension blocks section, so maybe CRU can unlock what he meant? Anyways I don't know much about these things so pardon my ignorance.
HDMI 2.1 uses the same data blocks as HDMI 2.0, so I don't think there's anything you can do in CRU.
04-27-2020, 11:26 PM
(04-27-2020 12:04 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  It has to be scaling down. Not sure you can do anything about resolution limitations.

Considering https://www.techpowerup.com/245367/your-...a-4k-panel I was hoping 5k panel Sad
04-27-2020, 11:52 PM
(04-27-2020 11:24 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(04-27-2020 11:02 PM)reginaldvs Wrote:  Ok I registered because first of all, I'd like to thank ToastyX for making this utility! This is a really useful tool. That aside, I do have a question regarding HDMI 2.1 on Sony TVs. Apparently, high end 2019 Sony TVs, specifically the x950g has a mainboard equipped with HDMI 2.1 and is just firmware locked. I'm wondering if this tool would be able to unlock HDMI 2.1 at that TV. The mods at AVS Forums deleted the discussion about FW modding, but this reddit post pretty much sums up the facts behind it.

HDMI 2.1 uses the same data blocks as HDMI 2.0, so I don't think there's anything you can do in CRU.

Gotcha, thanks for clarifying that. I guess I just have to wait for Sony to unlock the TV's full feature, hopefully.
04-30-2020, 03:37 PM
Hey Toasty, can you tell me if my idea would work before I put money on this?

I have a Sony 4K HDR TV hooked to a Nvidia Shield Pro 2019.
I'm able to gamestream in 4K and HDR (for games that use Nvidia API HDR) thanks to CRU since I use my PC with a 2560x1080p 144hz computer monitor that isn't 4K and isn't HDR capable.

The thing is, all the TV EDID is lost in the process and Windows HDR (for Forza 4) doesn't work.

I was thinking if this could work:
Get a dummy HDMI plug like this one:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XT1Z9TF/?tag=mtests-20#ad

Plug my PC once directly into the TV and dump the TV EDID.
Use CRU to replace everything from the dummy plug for the TV information.

What I suppose would happen is that the tv would show up as a secondary monitor that I could use with nvidia gamestream.

Do you think this could work?

And just to state here, I tried to look for dummy hdmi plugs with 4k and hdr capabilities and I wasn't able to.
04-30-2020, 04:46 PM
(04-30-2020 03:37 PM)fandangos Wrote:  Hey Toasty, can you tell me if my idea would work before I put money on this?
To be honest, I have no idea.
04-30-2020, 04:54 PM
no problem.

I'll give this a go when the mail starts delivering again here.
Thank you.
05-02-2020, 09:44 AM
How do I make it as an custom DSR utility?
I have an AMD card, and when I try to set it higher than AMD's DSR allows me (for example 2560x1600, while the normal max is 1920x1200) my monitor just spits out "Not Optimum Mode" and not showing anything. How do I fix this?