Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
10-12-2013, 03:27 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(10-12-2013 03:55 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  That depends on the refresh rate. AMD/ATI GPUs seem to want the "LCD standard" vertical total. You might be able to go one or two lower than that. Horizontal can be reduced without affecting idle clocks.
75.000 Hz on 1920x1080. My native timings for 60.000 Hz are:
H: 88 44 148 280 2200
V: 4 5 36 45 1125

I suppose, there is absolutely no way to get 75.000 Hz under 165 Mhz on single link by just reducing horizontal total. So it's either the pixel-clock patcher (and no DXVA, doh!) and 165 Mhz+ or no patcher, <165 Mhz and higher clocks in idle. But even in first case it's better too keep the pixel clock as low as possible, am I right? That's why I wonder what is the lowest I can get.

BTW, it's all just hypothetically. As I previously mentioned here, the patcher didn't work for my previous DELL U2211H. I got black screen going above 165. Now, as it died and now I have U2212HM, I've still yet to try the patcher on it and I have no reasons to think that now it is going to work, as these monitors *should* be very similar. I'll give it a try in future thou.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-13-2013, 01:52 AM
The standard vertical total for 1920x1080 @ 75 Hz is 1119. It's possible to get 75 Hz under 165 MHz if the monitor can handle low horizontal values:

H: 1920 8 24 8 40 1960
V: 1080 3 5 31 39 1119
10-13-2013, 02:36 PM
Thanks, but unfortunately neither these timings nor the patcher worked for me. I got black screen with no messages about "wrong input" using these timings, which is kinda odd.
And then I went to 165+ timings and the patcher - black screen with a "60hz or GTFO" message. I ensured that it patched the driver by observing a beautiful green screen while playing DXVA, so nothing went wrong.
I guess I'll have to stick with low vertical timings for eternity now, unless *something new* is found. Thanks again for your help.
10-14-2013, 10:22 PM (Last edited: 10-14-2013, 10:24 PM by stonzWhat)
Does anyone have an issue where their refresh rates would just vanish and only 60hz is avail? I'll be in 120, 110 or 96hz, doesn't matter, but if i leave the screen sitting for a few minutes and come back the refresh rate is 60hz and the custom resolutions are not available until restart and eventually it will go back to 60hz by itself.

The only thing I have at boot is EVGA precision, geforce experience is not installed.. Its been fine for a month or 2, it just started happening a few days ago. Tried the old drivers, old patcher, old CRU , nothing seems to keep my custom values working. The weird thing is it switches when Im not doing anything.. I dont have screen saver or anything on.

Also, I cannot get my video card to idle down on anything but 60hz. It doesnt mater what the pixel clock is.

I have an EVGA GTX 580 Classified, I am wondering if the GPU is damaged in anyway? I've even tried reformatting to clean system and I get the same outcome.

Any advice? Thank you!

EDIT:
I'm assuming this error is because of the patch but does anyone else get this..I looked in my windows logs in system and found this:

The description for Event ID 14 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

\Device\Video1
CMDre 00000000 00000804 00862a20 00000004 00000084
10-15-2013, 04:57 AM
(10-14-2013 10:22 PM)stonzWhat Wrote:  Does anyone have an issue where their refresh rates would just vanish and only 60hz is avail? I'll be in 120, 110 or 96hz, doesn't matter, but if i leave the screen sitting for a few minutes and come back the refresh rate is 60hz and the custom resolutions are not available until restart and eventually it will go back to 60hz by itself.
If the refresh rates are not listed in the Windows screen resolution settings but are still listed in the NVIDIA control panel, then something running in the background is triggering a hardware scan like Samsung Magician did.

If the refresh rates are not available at all, then something weird is going on. Is the monitor still shown as active in CRU when that happens?

(10-14-2013 10:22 PM)stonzWhat Wrote:  I'm assuming this error is because of the patch but does anyone else get this..I looked in my windows logs in system and found this:

The description for Event ID 14 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found.
The patch wouldn't cause that error. The driver might be crashing or encountering a hardware error while you're away, which might explain why the refresh rates are disappearing.
10-15-2013, 09:24 PM (Last edited: 10-16-2013, 05:24 PM by stonzWhat)
(10-15-2013 04:57 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(10-14-2013 10:22 PM)stonzWhat Wrote:  Does anyone have an issue where their refresh rates would just vanish and only 60hz is avail? I'll be in 120, 110 or 96hz, doesn't matter, but if i leave the screen sitting for a few minutes and come back the refresh rate is 60hz and the custom resolutions are not available until restart and eventually it will go back to 60hz by itself.
If the refresh rates are not listed in the Windows screen resolution settings but are still listed in the NVIDIA control panel, then something running in the background is triggering a hardware scan like Samsung Magician did.

If the refresh rates are not available at all, then something weird is going on. Is the monitor still shown as active in CRU when that happens?

(10-14-2013 10:22 PM)stonzWhat Wrote:  I'm assuming this error is because of the patch but does anyone else get this..I looked in my windows logs in system and found this:

The description for Event ID 14 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found.
The patch wouldn't cause that error. The driver might be crashing or encountering a hardware error while you're away, which might explain why the refresh rates are disappearing.

I had nothing running in the background and I think it just started happening on its own because I was tinkering sooo much. This is a different PC than the one with the SSD software. But I was playing around with the drivers like crazy trying to get my card to idle down, so I bet something leftover caused it. Because I reformatted to W7 last night and so far it hasn't switched refresh rates at all, normally it would have happened multiple time already. And I dont think its W8 either. That was with the latest NVIDIA drivers. But I was still getting the, "The description for Event ID 14 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found." error message every 20-30 mins or so.

So, at around 11am this morning I downgraded to the 320.18 drivers just as a last resort, I found someone on the geforce forums that had the same issue and said to try the 320.18 driver. And to my surprise I have not had that error since! Its been about 6 hours.. It would normally happen every 20-30 mins, but this issue started weeks before the refresh rates were switching. I thought it was totally normal since we were patching/editing the drivers.. Please dont think I was blaming your patch, as I really appreciate all of your time you put into this. So Im thinking maybe it has something to do with the latest drivers and maybe 5xx series cards? IDK. I'll do some testing if you want, I dont mind having to reformat again if needed.

My card still doesnt idle down unless Im at 60hz but someone at overclock.net has the same issue with their 5xx series card, so Im gonna assume my card is 100% fine and just keep the fan a little higher and just deal with it.

Thanks again! I truly appreciate your help.

EDIT: Its been more than 24 hours since I downgraded my drivers to 320.18 and I have not gotten that EVENT ID 14 error once.
10-15-2013, 11:08 PM
Has anyone figured out how to do this in linux? I imagine it would be a little bit easier but I don't know where to look.
10-17-2013, 04:47 AM
Quote:Higher resolutions will not work unless the monitor can handle them, and the video driver would have to be modified to go beyond 165 MHz with a single-link DVI monitor.

The pixel clock is the total number of pixels per second including blanking:

Horizontal Total * Vertical Total * Refresh Rate = Pixel Clock

Hello, Thanks for doing this and continuing to support it. Pretty fun stuff to play with. I'm still learning but not sure I completely understand the above.

I've got a Dell U3011 and I tried the LCD Reduced to see if I could get past 70 but to of no avail. Even trying to manually set the vertical to 1625 to give a Pixel Clock of 309.4. I thought that would do it since it's < 330?

I did a nice bump at 1920x1200 - up to 89Hz though.
10-17-2013, 08:04 PM
hey all - Ive searched high and low trying to get my Dell 2713H and Windows Pro 8.1 to display 2560x1440. All Windows offers is 1920x1080 resolution, even after downloading, running the CRU software, and restarting.
In the past (w/Windows 8) I was able to edit the registry, but today I updated to Windows 8.1 and cant get my external monitor to run at 2560x1440.
I am running W8.1 Pro x64
ATI Radeon HD5500 (1GB) with HDMI out to the 2713H.
Updated drivers for video card and monitor

Suggestions/ideas?
10-17-2013, 09:00 PM
(10-15-2013 11:08 PM)dstathis Wrote:  Has anyone figured out how to do this in linux? I imagine it would be a little bit easier but I don't know where to look.
You can use modelines, but I don't have patches for Linux, so the pixel clock is limited to 330 MHz.

This should work for 2560x1440 @ 85 Hz:

Modeline "2560x1440_85" 329.90 2560 2608 2640 2684 1440 1442 1444 1446 +HSync -VSync

Modelines are structured like this:

"Name"
Pixel clock
Horizontal active
Horizontal active + front porch
Horizontal active + front porch + sync width
Horizontal total
Vertical active
Vertical active + front porch
Vertical active + front porch + sync width
Vertical total
Flags like +HSync/-HSync and +VSync/-VSync for sync polarity