Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
05-06-2021, 02:30 AM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(05-05-2021 01:06 AM)Ref Wrote:  system (video driver) will crash if i try to up even 1 HZ of refresh rate =>
black screen when applying restart64.exe or system reboot
Crashing would be a driver bug. Intel seems to have issues with EDID overrides on some laptops.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-06-2021, 02:31 AM
(05-04-2021 04:53 AM)aelius Wrote:  OK, good to know about the range.

To make sure I've gotten the steps right, what do I do in CRU assuming an AMD GPU? I may not even be doing it correctly at all.

I've tried defining the freesync range, and displayID, but I'm not sure how it all works exactly.

Does freesync have to be defined in the same extension block as the resolutions you're going to use it for?

Should I even need to define a displayID?

Do I need to make the monitor Hz limits match the freesync range, or just define a freesync range that fits within the monitor Hz?

Nvidia knows my displayport DAC outputs VGA and it specifically says "this is VGA", that might be part of the problem, how might I address that?

thank you for your time.
With AMD, all you need is a FreeSync data block in a CTA-861 extension block and an HDMI data block for HDMI. You don't need a DisplayID extension block. The high end of the range needs a corresponding detailed resolution. The resolution doesn't have to be in the extension block. You need an HDMI->VGA adapter. DP->VGA won't work.
05-06-2021, 02:36 AM
(05-06-2021 02:30 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(05-05-2021 01:06 AM)Ref Wrote:  system (video driver) will crash if i try to up even 1 HZ of refresh rate =>
black screen when applying restart64.exe or system reboot
Crashing would be a driver bug. Intel seems to have issues with EDID overrides on some laptops.

So, I am hearing You saying: "There's a chance!" .. if i find the right driver for my Intel HD Graphics Integrated, which does not crash? Yeees?
05-06-2021, 02:42 AM
(05-06-2021 02:36 AM)Ref Wrote:  So, I am hearing You saying: "There's a chance!" .. if i find the right driver for my Intel HD Graphics Integrated, which does not crash? Yeees?
Maybe, I don't know if such a driver exists.
05-07-2021, 10:22 PM (Last edited: 05-10-2021, 07:45 AM by hoffr)
Issue: Monitor wake/Sleep resume - Dim screen, 'hardware removed, then inserted' chim
Issue: Monitor wake/Sleep resume - Dim screen, 'hardware removed, then inserted' chimes

If I have any custom Detailed Resolutions whatsoever even if I'm not actively using one, on resume from sleep (more specifically it's the wake of the powered-off monitor, have tested that with PC on), the Windows 10 'hardware inserted' chime will sometimes play, and sometimes 'hardware removed' will couple that. Every time though, I will have a dim screen. I suspect it's the driver's presentation of colors that's dim and not the backlight, since my cursor is bright like normal.

Pressing CTRL+SHIFT+WIN+B resets something in the driver and then it's normal. Dim screen happens about 9 out of 10 times, otherwise may still make hardware chimes. USB Selective Suspend in power plan options doesn't solve the issue as some online sources may present

I've read a reply here about this exact issue: My monitor does not support HDR, nor are there any HDR-related extension blocks used. It really doesn't seem to matter what the content of the custom detailed resolution is, just that one needs to be present. I made one identical to the default & restart.exe'd and there's still the issue, even though I'm not actively using that detailed resolution entry.

Here's my current config anyway:
[Image: lLVceYt.png]

Thank you ToastyX for all your hard work managing this project's support line, really seems like a lot to do. Could I recommend using Github to track issues? It's much more graceful for both parties involved, reviewer and submitter (plus users wouldn't have to create new forum accounts just to report a bug).

Environment:
- CRU 1.5.1
- Win10 Pro 20H2
- RX 570 stock
- Radeon software version 21.5.1 (dates at least back to versions 4 months old, havent tried others / DDU doesn't solve issue)
- I had f.lux installed but uninstalled/restarted pc to test this, it's not the culprit
05-11-2021, 09:44 PM
Update to previous post about the dim screen issue: It doesn't seem to have to do with restart.exe itself, since creating a new detailed resolution in CRU but then using AMD's driver restart function rather than restart.exe (by creating/deleting some random profile, forcing display restart) still causes the issue.

Creating a profile identical to what causes an issue in CRU, but instead within in AMD's custom res menu does not cause the issue. I can do anything I want in AMD's menus and I don't get a dim screen. Sometimes it'll tell me a custom res is not compatible with my monitor though, but this wasn't the case for any of the ones I had issues with in CRU.

I've also figured out that the Windows insert/remove sounds are likely just a quirk of my monitor, probably +AMD driver or some Windows thing. Not CRU related.
05-12-2021, 09:11 PM
Hi, I have a question that I can't seem to find any answers to. I'm using a Sony 4K tv and trying to add 2560x1440 @ 120hz under tv resolutions, but I can't seem to figure out how. Is it not possible? I'm doing this to try and use YCBCR instead of RGB, because 1440p @ 120hz will only do RGB when added normally in CRU. Am I attempting to do something that simply can't be done, or am I doing something incorrectly? Thank you.
05-13-2021, 01:10 AM
(05-07-2021 10:22 PM)hoffr Wrote:  Issue: Monitor wake/Sleep resume - Dim screen, 'hardware removed, then inserted' chimes

If I have any custom Detailed Resolutions whatsoever even if I'm not actively using one, on resume from sleep (more specifically it's the wake of the powered-off monitor, have tested that with PC on), the Windows 10 'hardware inserted' chime will sometimes play, and sometimes 'hardware removed' will couple that. Every time though, I will have a dim screen. I suspect it's the driver's presentation of colors that's dim and not the backlight, since my cursor is bright like normal.

Pressing CTRL+SHIFT+WIN+B resets something in the driver and then it's normal. Dim screen happens about 9 out of 10 times, otherwise may still make hardware chimes. USB Selective Suspend in power plan options doesn't solve the issue as some online sources may present
This is an AMD driver bug that I can't do anything about. Ctrl+Shift+Win+B is the easiest workaround. I don't know what conditions trigger the bug because I don't have any hardware that reproduces it. It's not an issue with the EDID override itself, but something AMD's driver is doing when an EDID override is present.

(05-07-2021 10:22 PM)hoffr Wrote:  Thank you ToastyX for all your hard work managing this project's support line, really seems like a lot to do. Could I recommend using Github to track issues? It's much more graceful for both parties involved, reviewer and submitter (plus users wouldn't have to create new forum accounts just to report a bug).
There haven't been many issues with CRU itself. It's been well-tested and actual bugs are rarely reported. The vast majority of issues people encounter are either driver bugs or hardware/driver limitations.
05-13-2021, 01:12 AM
(05-12-2021 09:11 PM)TheAshmanCometh Wrote:  Hi, I have a question that I can't seem to find any answers to. I'm using a Sony 4K tv and trying to add 2560x1440 @ 120hz under tv resolutions, but I can't seem to figure out how. Is it not possible? I'm doing this to try and use YCBCR instead of RGB, because 1440p @ 120hz will only do RGB when added normally in CRU. Am I attempting to do something that simply can't be done, or am I doing something incorrectly? Thank you.
2560x1440 is not in the CTA standard that defines TV resolutions, and there isn't a way to define YCbCr resolutions currently.
05-15-2021, 03:02 AM
Everytime I restart my pc, cru settings doesnt apply automatically. I always need to open restart64 everytime, why is it like that? I have latest nvidia 466.27 drivers.