Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
10-09-2021, 09:11 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(10-08-2021 12:02 PM)yourrandomnobody Wrote:  So, after experimenting around CRU for the quest to remove PWM by matching refresh rate with pwm frequency (thus achieving strobing/BFI), I managed to get a +400hz overclock on my AUO13ED panel in my Elitebook 8570p, but I have a problem. The image seems to be GPU scaled and skewed/distorted horribly, as soon as I set it above 100hz (so, 1080p above 100hz just doesnt display, lower res 101hz displays but skewed it seems to be a LVDS limit of 240mhz pixel clock in play here?) as shown here:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/2...134015.jpg
I know I don't frameskip on 240hz, cannot test further up as it doesn't want to sync on 360hz and 420hz
I cannot remove 1080p with CRU at all for some reason, running on W10 21H1, it still displays 1080p 60hz :/
Is there any way I could salvage the panel and perhaps take advantage of these higher refresh rates with some LVDS to HDMI/DP adapter and use it on my desktop?
Would be lovely if Toasty could chime in on this!
Laptop panels normally don't have scalers and can't display lower resolutions without GPU scaling, so you can't use a lower resolution to get a higher refresh rate. I don't think any sort of adapter would help because you will still be limited by whatever you can get at the native resolution. You might be able to use a lower vertical resolution like 1920x540 to get 200 Hz, but the image will be repeated until it fills the screen.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-09-2021, 09:12 PM
(10-07-2021 08:58 PM)PersonPersonMagic Wrote:  Hi, I've got an Intel GPU and a 3840x1600 144hz monitor over TB3 that Windows won't recognize as such. I'm trying to create a profile to manually push it to its refresh rate max. Best I can do at 3830x1600 at 97 HZ. What settings can I try to get it to 120 to 144?
There are no settings that can get 3840x1600 @ 120-144 Hz if it's limited by bandwidth.
10-09-2021, 11:23 PM
(10-09-2021 09:11 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(10-08-2021 12:02 PM)yourrandomnobody Wrote:  So, after experimenting around CRU for the quest to remove PWM by matching refresh rate with pwm frequency (thus achieving strobing/BFI), I managed to get a +400hz overclock on my AUO13ED panel in my Elitebook 8570p, but I have a problem. The image seems to be GPU scaled and skewed/distorted horribly, as soon as I set it above 100hz (so, 1080p above 100hz just doesnt display, lower res 101hz displays but skewed it seems to be a LVDS limit of 240mhz pixel clock in play here?) as shown here:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/2...134015.jpg
I know I don't frameskip on 240hz, cannot test further up as it doesn't want to sync on 360hz and 420hz
I cannot remove 1080p with CRU at all for some reason, running on W10 21H1, it still displays 1080p 60hz :/
Is there any way I could salvage the panel and perhaps take advantage of these higher refresh rates with some LVDS to HDMI/DP adapter and use it on my desktop?
Would be lovely if Toasty could chime in on this!
Laptop panels normally don't have scalers and can't display lower resolutions without GPU scaling, so you can't use a lower resolution to get a higher refresh rate. I don't think any sort of adapter would help because you will still be limited by whatever you can get at the native resolution. You might be able to use a lower vertical resolution like 1920x540 to get 200 Hz, but the image will be repeated until it fills the screen.

This tip is actually amazing! It worked! It actually displays somewhat properly (its split right at the middle, as it should!
I'm curious though, if I'd salvage this panel outside for desktop use, would I be able to go above LVDS limits? And use NVidia's GPU scaling and adjust image accordingly? Or perhaps some LVDS to VGA and manually adjust image like on a CRT? Thank you very much for the tip btw!! I basically have a backlight strobed laptop right now at 200hz lol
10-10-2021, 03:15 AM
(10-09-2021 11:23 PM)yourrandomnobody Wrote:  This tip is actually amazing! It worked! It actually displays somewhat properly (its split right at the middle, as it should!
I'm curious though, if I'd salvage this panel outside for desktop use, would I be able to go above LVDS limits? And use NVidia's GPU scaling and adjust image accordingly? Or perhaps some LVDS to VGA and manually adjust image like on a CRT? Thank you very much for the tip btw!! I basically have a backlight strobed laptop right now at 200hz lol
The limit will depend on the timing controller on the panel and interface used to connect to the panel. If you get something to convert HDMI or whatever to LVDS, that will also have its own limits. Usually those have a scaler chip so you can use lower resolutions, but the chip might not support more than 60 Hz without skipping frames.
10-11-2021, 05:12 PM (Last edited: 10-11-2021, 05:21 PM by felipaopl)
Hi ToastyX,

First post here, great app and great, continuous support for almost a decade here, truly impressive mate.

Got a question for you - I've been trying to lower the VRR range of my Neo G9 monitor (5120x1440) to avoid LFC kicking in under 48 FPS in an attempt to minimise VRR flickering, but CRU can't find the resolution straight away (it detects 3840x1080), I suppose because its native res is too high at 5120x1440. Now, I can use an extension block using DisplayID 1.3 to add a valid 5120x1440 resolution, but then how can I edit the VRR range later as the recommended for Display Port is doing it at the "Detailed Resolutions" box, which I can't use since my resolution isn't detected there? It also detects a CTA-861 extension block where it correctly displays my VRR range for when the monitor is running @ 120 hz (48-120), but lowering the range there has no effect at all and I can still see the monitor duplicating frames when going lower than 48 FPS (and thus flickering).

Thanks!
10-12-2021, 07:36 AM
Hi ToastyX

Thank you for your Tool! English isnt my main language... Sorry

With your Coloremetry Settings i could improve the HDR Colors on my Samsung G7 Odyssey. i activate all options and Metadata and now Windows uses the right colorspaces in Games and on Desktop and it makes a huge difference compared to before!
Thats the right tool to fix Windows HDR problems!

but now i have a question:
with active Freesync in my Monitor OSD Windows 11 will show me

[Image: StDf.jpg]

that my Display has 603Nits Peak Brightness..
Thats correct couse the G7 Odyssey is a HDR600 Display

but if i disable freesync in my Monitor OSD settings
windows cant detect this and will think its a 1500Nit display

[Image: TtDf.jpg]

This information has to be in the Edid Datas.. but i cant edit it with your tool.
can you maybe Update your tool so that we can edit this too?
Thanks
10-12-2021, 05:15 PM
(10-12-2021 07:36 AM)blackfirehawk Wrote:  This information has to be in the Edid Datas.. but i cant edit it with your tool.
I don't know where that would be. CRU can already edit HDR static metadata blocks, although you will have to figure out what numbers translates to what luminance. I don't see why the luminance would change with FreeSync off.
10-12-2021, 05:16 PM
(10-11-2021 05:12 PM)felipaopl Wrote:  Got a question for you - I've been trying to lower the VRR range of my Neo G9 monitor (5120x1440) to avoid LFC kicking in under 48 FPS in an attempt to minimise VRR flickering, but CRU can't find the resolution straight away (it detects 3840x1080), I suppose because its native res is too high at 5120x1440. Now, I can use an extension block using DisplayID 1.3 to add a valid 5120x1440 resolution, but then how can I edit the VRR range later as the recommended for Display Port is doing it at the "Detailed Resolutions" box, which I can't use since my resolution isn't detected there? It also detects a CTA-861 extension block where it correctly displays my VRR range for when the monitor is running @ 120 hz (48-120), but lowering the range there has no effect at all and I can still see the monitor duplicating frames when going lower than 48 FPS (and thus flickering).
5120x1440 is in the DisplayID extension block. The range limits is for all resolutions, not just the detailed resolutions box. That's just where the information is stored. If you see a FreeSync data block in the extension block, then editing that should work. If you have an NVIDIA GPU, make sure to replace the default extension block with a DisplayID 1.3 extension block, and add 5120x1440 @ 240 Hz. If you don't replace the default extension block, NVIDIA's driver will ignore any changes you made.
10-12-2021, 07:17 PM
(10-12-2021 05:15 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(10-12-2021 07:36 AM)blackfirehawk Wrote:  This information has to be in the Edid Datas.. but i cant edit it with your tool.
I don't know where that would be. CRU can already edit HDR static metadata blocks, although you will have to figure out what numbers translates to what luminance. I don't see why the luminance would change with FreeSync off.

On my Display the luminance Data is empty
When i Change them.. Windows max Peak brightness dosnt Change.. i dont know how Windows get this value..
So i thougt this must Something in the EDID Data
10-13-2021, 06:41 AM (Last edited: 10-13-2021, 06:41 AM by felipaopl)
(10-12-2021 05:16 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(10-11-2021 05:12 PM)felipaopl Wrote:  Got a question for you - I've been trying to lower the VRR range of my Neo G9 monitor (5120x1440) to avoid LFC kicking in under 48 FPS in an attempt to minimise VRR flickering, but CRU can't find the resolution straight away (it detects 3840x1080), I suppose because its native res is too high at 5120x1440. Now, I can use an extension block using DisplayID 1.3 to add a valid 5120x1440 resolution, but then how can I edit the VRR range later as the recommended for Display Port is doing it at the "Detailed Resolutions" box, which I can't use since my resolution isn't detected there? It also detects a CTA-861 extension block where it correctly displays my VRR range for when the monitor is running @ 120 hz (48-120), but lowering the range there has no effect at all and I can still see the monitor duplicating frames when going lower than 48 FPS (and thus flickering).
5120x1440 is in the DisplayID extension block. The range limits is for all resolutions, not just the detailed resolutions box. That's just where the information is stored. If you see a FreeSync data block in the extension block, then editing that should work. If you have an NVIDIA GPU, make sure to replace the default extension block with a DisplayID 1.3 extension block, and add 5120x1440 @ 240 Hz. If you don't replace the default extension block, NVIDIA's driver will ignore any changes you made.

Awesome, thanks for the detailed explaination. Will give it a try later today.