Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
11-12-2021, 11:56 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(11-12-2021 08:22 AM)LOV Wrote:  I read it, but still can't use 215hz on my monitor, my native resolution is 3440x1440 and on CRU 1.5.1, i can't insert 215hz in detailled resolution on 3440x1440 or 2560x1440, but 1024x768 @215hz is working (i use it on CSGO).

I deleted the default extenstion block, and i tried to add a DisplayID 2.0, then 3 detailed resolutions that i mentioned, my monitor is MSI Optix MPG341CQR
Are you adding the resolutions in the extension block? Show me what you're doing.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-12-2021, 11:56 PM
(11-12-2021 01:25 AM)d2freak Wrote:  The problem: Every time I reboot the computer, all the resolutions comes back in the Windows 10 settings panel, but not in my Nvidia control panel.

Now, if I run simply restart64 again, they vanish again. Another reboot and they are back again. I don't want to restart the graphics driver every time I reboot the computer. This is very weird because it always stays working in the Nvidia control panel.
That can only be an NVIDIA driver bug. Export a file in CRU after making the changes and post it here.
11-13-2021, 12:18 AM
(11-12-2021 11:56 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(11-12-2021 01:25 AM)d2freak Wrote:  The problem: Every time I reboot the computer, all the resolutions comes back in the Windows 10 settings panel, but not in my Nvidia control panel.

Now, if I run simply restart64 again, they vanish again. Another reboot and they are back again. I don't want to restart the graphics driver every time I reboot the computer. This is very weird because it always stays working in the Nvidia control panel.
That can only be an NVIDIA driver bug. Export a file in CRU after making the changes and post it here.

Thanks so much for looking into this. I've attached the exported bin file.

Attached File(s)
.bin  whatswrong.bin (Size: 128 bytes / Downloads: 230)
11-13-2021, 01:31 AM
(11-13-2021 12:18 AM)d2freak Wrote:  Thanks so much for looking into this. I've attached the exported bin file.
I assume since this is a TV that you're using HDMI? Deleting the extension block will make it act as single-link DVI, which should still work for 1080p, but that might be what's triggering the driver bug. Try adding a CTA-861 extension block, and add an HDMI data block with the default options.
11-13-2021, 03:33 AM (Last edited: 11-13-2021, 03:38 AM by LOV)
(11-12-2021 11:56 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(11-12-2021 08:22 AM)LOV Wrote:  I read it, but still can't use 215hz on my monitor, my native resolution is 3440x1440 and on CRU 1.5.1, i can't insert 215hz in detailled resolution on 3440x1440 or 2560x1440, but 1024x768 @215hz is working (i use it on CSGO).

I deleted the default extenstion block, and i tried to add a DisplayID 2.0, then 3 detailed resolutions that i mentioned, my monitor is MSI Optix MPG341CQR
Are you adding the resolutions in the extension block? Show me what you're doing.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CoRgl-Q...sp=sharing

I've recorded a video, so it might be easier to see what i did Wink
In the video, when i launch Dota 2, the game is frozed and i have to press ALT+TAB x3225 times to see what's happen when i click on stuff in game (when the screen is black it is when i press ALT+TAB)

As you can see, the timings between NVIDIA panel and CRU are differents. I already tried with same values for both.

Thanks for help bro Smile
11-13-2021, 01:49 PM
(11-13-2021 01:31 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(11-13-2021 12:18 AM)d2freak Wrote:  Thanks so much for looking into this. I've attached the exported bin file.
I assume since this is a TV that you're using HDMI? Deleting the extension block will make it act as single-link DVI, which should still work for 1080p, but that might be what's triggering the driver bug. Try adding a CTA-861 extension block, and add an HDMI data block with the default options.

I did as you suggested (I attach hdmiadded.bin to show it), but it ended up with the same result. Although, as you said, now Nvidia control panel detects it as a HDMI vs the incorrect DVI. Still the exact same problem remains.

If it is of any help to you, I reset the TV back to defaults and I attach that file here as TVoriginal.bin. There you can see the default values.

One thing is on my mind though. This used to work. On the very same computer. This weird behaviour started after I used another program called Moonlight, which is a program for Android to mirror the PC screen to your phone for gaming. It hooks into GeForce Experience.

Why can this be related? Well, here is the thing: If you use a non-standard resoulution in that program (such as my phones res) it injects it somehow onto the computer and switches to it. This is supposed to be temporary and it should not be visible in any list (I asked the dev about this). Problem is, this resolution got "stuck" on my computer. I tried to remove it in CRU but it didn't show up there.

So... I used reset-all from CRU and it removed the weird resolution, as well as my working CRU settings. Ever since then, I've had this weird problem I described. Like from exactly that day. Do you think CRU and Moonlight could have interacted badly with eachother causing this buggy state?

Also, if I go into "list all modes" in windows, after applying the correct CRU settings, I still see 4k resolutions as well as that resolution from Moonlight (1440x900)...not sure if this is the problem too? I don't know how to delete stuff from that list.

Attached File(s)
.bin  TVoriginal.bin (Size: 256 bytes / Downloads: 211)
.bin  hdmiadded.bin (Size: 256 bytes / Downloads: 218)
11-13-2021, 05:19 PM (Last edited: 11-13-2021, 05:30 PM by wyld0077)
Hello everyone. I would like to share something that happened to me, and kindly ask the more experienced people if I got all this right, lol.

I own an LG 29WK600 monitor, 29inch Ultrawide ""HDR"" FreeSync, connected to an RTX2080S via DisplayPort, that works with a native resolution of 2560x1080 75Hz. I had a little experience with CRU in the past, boiling down to successfully tinkering with refresh rate overclocking on old monitors, so, naturally, my first thought when this new one arrived at the time was to try and do that again. Unfortunately though, ANYTHING above 75Hz results in no image, but that's completely fine, 75Hz for non competitive stuff is more than acceptable.

Moving on, one day I'm searching for reviews and tests, looking for some base picture settings, when I stumbled upon a review mentioning two other, bigger monitors, but sharing the same design characteristics (I can't remember the models), but they had bigger resolutions. Out of the blue, I had the idea to create a custom resolution, starting at 3440x1440 60Hz, and for my surprise, it worked... image came on, no glitches, no flickering. Then I went for 75Hz, and, it worked, again... At this point I wasn't entirely sure anymore of what I was seeing. Image was spotless, movies, games, whatever, ran frame skipping tests, and some other tests from the TestUFO website, but I honestly have no idea if they would've shown anything. After that I went for 3840x1600, 60 and 75Hz, and both worked as well, could also still select 10bit on nVidia Panel and enable the ""HDR"" through Windows 10 and games, it is working just like native.

Well, I ran all the tests I could think of at that time, but not having a ton of experience in the matter still made me take these results with a grain of salt. Ok, from what I understand, CRU actually ADDS resolutions, and, if the monitor can't, it simply WON'T show any image without a working setting, is that correct? My main question is: is this monitor really working at higher resolutions? Or could be some kind of "gimmick" going on that could act as if it were working fine? I really don't know what to think lol, I'll attach a few images with my settings, any input is much appreciated. The DisplayID 1.3 block I added manually, along with the two resolutions.

Thanks in advance.

--Edit--
Forgot to mention that I also edited the Range Limits: Freesync range was 40-75, the other one was 90-90kHz and the last one was at 240MHz stock, I believe.

11-14-2021, 12:15 AM
(11-13-2021 03:33 AM)LOV Wrote:  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CoRgl-Q...sp=sharing

I've recorded a video, so it might be easier to see what i did Wink
In the video, when i launch Dota 2, the game is frozed and i have to press ALT+TAB x3225 times to see what's happen when i click on stuff in game (when the screen is black it is when i press ALT+TAB)

As you can see, the timings between NVIDIA panel and CRU are differents. I already tried with same values for both.
You're doing too many steps at once. You don't need the same resolutions in both the NVIDIA control panel and CRU. Delete the NVIDIA custom resolutions. Then run reset-all.exe and reboot to reset everything. Then use CRU to delete the second extension block only, and add a DisplayID 1.3 extension block. Then add the 215 Hz resolutions in the extension block. Don't do anything else until you confirm that works. That should be enough to get Dota to recognize the refresh rate.
(11-13-2021 01:49 PM)d2freak Wrote:  One thing is on my mind though. This used to work. On the very same computer. This weird behaviour started after I used another program called Moonlight, which is a program for Android to mirror the PC screen to your phone for gaming. It hooks into GeForce Experience.

Why can this be related? Well, here is the thing: If you use a non-standard resoulution in that program (such as my phones res) it injects it somehow onto the computer and switches to it. This is supposed to be temporary and it should not be visible in any list (I asked the dev about this). Problem is, this resolution got "stuck" on my computer. I tried to remove it in CRU but it didn't show up there.

So... I used reset-all from CRU and it removed the weird resolution, as well as my working CRU settings. Ever since then, I've had this weird problem I described. Like from exactly that day. Do you think CRU and Moonlight could have interacted badly with eachother causing this buggy state?

Also, if I go into "list all modes" in windows, after applying the correct CRU settings, I still see 4k resolutions as well as that resolution from Moonlight (1440x900)...not sure if this is the problem too? I don't know how to delete stuff from that list.
NVIDIA does have a function to set a temporary resolution, which is what the NVIDIA control panel uses when testing custom resolutions, so Moonlight could have triggered a bug in the driver that's persisting in the driver's settings. Try reinstalling the NVIDIA driver after using DDU to completely uninstall the driver: https://www.wagnardsoft.com/display-driv...aller-ddu-
(11-13-2021 05:19 PM)wyld0077 Wrote:  Moving on, one day I'm searching for reviews and tests, looking for some base picture settings, when I stumbled upon a review mentioning two other, bigger monitors, but sharing the same design characteristics (I can't remember the models), but they had bigger resolutions. Out of the blue, I had the idea to create a custom resolution, starting at 3440x1440 60Hz, and for my surprise, it worked... image came on, no glitches, no flickering. Then I went for 75Hz, and, it worked, again... At this point I wasn't entirely sure anymore of what I was seeing. Image was spotless, movies, games, whatever, ran frame skipping tests, and some other tests from the TestUFO website, but I honestly have no idea if they would've shown anything. After that I went for 3840x1600, 60 and 75Hz, and both worked as well, could also still select 10bit on nVidia Panel and enable the ""HDR"" through Windows 10 and games, it is working just like native.

Well, I ran all the tests I could think of at that time, but not having a ton of experience in the matter still made me take these results with a grain of salt. Ok, from what I understand, CRU actually ADDS resolutions, and, if the monitor can't, it simply WON'T show any image without a working setting, is that correct? My main question is: is this monitor really working at higher resolutions? Or could be some kind of "gimmick" going on that could act as if it were working fine? I really don't know what to think lol, I'll attach a few images with my settings, any input is much appreciated. The DisplayID 1.3 block I added manually, along with the two resolutions.
Some monitors can scale down higher resolutions similar to how NVIDIA's DSR works except in the monitor instead of the GPU. The monitor should tell you what resolution it's receiving somewhere in the OSD.