Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
11-05-2013, 01:01 PM (Last edited: 11-05-2013, 01:01 PM by Stylook)
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
Hi ToastyX,

Any comments on installing new NVidia Drivers 331.65. The last conversation with you I still haven't got the guts to update the Nvidia drivers, hearing a lot mix problems. I would like to see better improvements on BF4. I am currently running 320.49. So far it hasn't caused any serious problem running BF4 but would like to see game running more smoothly. I am using EVGA GTX 690 Gpu.

Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-05-2013, 05:27 PM
The GTX 690 shouldn't have any major problems. Some people with 500-series cards are having weird problems with newer drivers, which NVIDIA is working on figuring out, but 600-series cards should be fine.
11-05-2013, 11:17 PM
Hi ToastyX,

Ok, will try to muster up courage this weekend. One more question, when ingame, such as BF4, etc. When you pan (slow to fast) around looking at environment, would the environment, building, trees, etc blurred a little? (I have turned off motion blur). I don't know how to describe it. Is that normal, I thought I saw someone demo on CS4GO, when the person pan the environment building it looks very clear without much blurriness or undetectable.

Thanks.
11-06-2013, 07:18 AM
Any monitor that doesn't strobe will have motion blur, and monitors with slower response times will have a slight smearing effect. This is more noticeable with lower frame rates. Some games may also have their own effects, but most don't.
11-06-2013, 09:16 AM (Last edited: 11-06-2013, 09:19 AM by Stylook)
Hi Toastyx,

Thanks for the reply. I felt that though it is playable in Ultra on GTX 690 for BF4 but the frame rates ranges from 20fps to 60fps. I am using Qnix monitor and the BF4 Ingame video setting for resolution is 2560x 1440 120hz with v-sync off. There is slight blurriness when panning on the surrounding. When I changed the video settings to High. The frame rates raises from 20 to 90fps but It's still got slight blurriness when panning. I don't know if it's game effects. I mean, of course, in real life you do get slight blurriness of surrounding when we pan our head around looking at the environment. (My desktop is set to 110hz.)

That's the reason why I was thinking of update the Nvidia driver to latest hope it would give better results or more optimized, whatever that means?

Thanks.
11-07-2013, 06:28 PM
ToastyX,

I hope you remember my case (here) and maybe help me a little bit.

Like I said earlier, I have terrible image quality after installing Nvidia drivers on Windows 7. So I went and installed a Linux distro to see if blurry image would persist and much to my surprise (or dismay) image quality is perfect as it should. Therefore, only on Windows does blurriness occur (and installing Nvidia drivers). Have tried everything and nothing works (CRU, custom resolutions, driver tweaking, different cables, etc). But on Linux, it all damn fine. So what the hell? I have a 'edid.bin' file here (Lubuntu), can't remember exactly how I got it (guess it was from fiddling around with LXRandR or Xorg or something). Problem is I can't even open that file? Maybe it has monitor settings used on Lubuntu which happen to be the correct settings for Windows 7 too. So my question is, do you have any idea how to open that file or extract or get display settings info on Ubuntu so that I can use that to create custom resolution on Windows? Not sure if you are a Linux user there though.
11-07-2013, 07:28 PM
You should be able to use the "Import..." button in CRU to import the edid.bin file.
11-08-2013, 01:51 PM
ToastyX

I am wondering if CRU will be able to help with my problem of setting the correct screen resolution for my Acer AL2202W monitor.
I have just installed Windows 7 which does not offer the correct res. of 1680 x 1050.
My computer is a Dust with MSI board and AMD processors. Acer connected by VGA cable.

I have downloaded CRU but cannot understand how to use it.

Ironically my previous installation of a Linux distro on this machine automatically provided the correct screen resolution! I guess Linux can do some things right
:-)
11-08-2013, 06:50 PM
(11-08-2013 01:51 PM)feenix Wrote:  I am wondering if CRU will be able to help with my problem of setting the correct screen resolution for my Acer AL2202W monitor.
I have just installed Windows 7 which does not offer the correct res. of 1680 x 1050.
If the monitor name is "Generic Non-PnP monitor" and CRU doesn't show any resolutions, then either the EDID in your monitor crapped out or the cable or adapter is not passing the DDC signal. You should be able to override that by adding the correct resolution using CRU.

(11-08-2013 01:51 PM)feenix Wrote:  I have downloaded CRU but cannot understand how to use it.
All you have to do is add a detailed resolution for 1680x1050 @ 60 Hz, and choose the "LCD standard" timing option to make it fill in the timing parameters for you.
11-08-2013, 09:21 PM
Thank you very much for advice, I'll try that.

F