Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
11-25-2013, 10:06 AM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
Ok Thank you, i will test this evening with another dual link cable and try to switch the graphic card..
otherwise i try with singe link dvi and patch ...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-25-2013, 09:57 PM
@ToastyX is 331.82-desktop-win8-win7-winvista-64bit-international-whql.exe supported? I've tried both nvlddmkm-patcher.exe and nvlddmkm-patcher-full.exe with my single GTX 780 Ti and I can't get the CRU res's to appear in my native resolution drop down.

It worked fine on my same setup with my R9-280X...I've also used DriverFusion to remove all ATI drivers...

Any ideas?

Thanks for your great work Big Grin
11-25-2013, 10:25 PM
(11-25-2013 09:57 PM)d33bz Wrote:  @ToastyX is 331.82-desktop-win8-win7-winvista-64bit-international-whql.exe supported? I've tried both nvlddmkm-patcher.exe and nvlddmkm-patcher-full.exe with my single GTX 780 Ti and I can't get the CRU res's to appear in my native resolution drop down.
Make sure the extension block is disabled, and make sure GeForce Experience is not installed.
11-25-2013, 11:14 PM
Ahh so simple. Thanks, unchecked that box, reboot, all my res' are there! Awesome!
11-27-2013, 08:18 AM (Last edited: 11-28-2013, 09:09 PM by madmanmarz)
Hi, noob here. I have an HP 23BW monitor (seems to be the same as the 23xi, which is confirmed at 75hz). I currently have an AMD 7850, soon to be an R9 270. What would be the easiest solution to overclock this thing the best way?

1 - I understand single link DVI and HDMI are limited, but is that still the case for a modern GPU with a good v1.4 HDMI cable?
2 - I understand that I can patch the drivers but I update my drivers a lot and would prefer not to have to patch them every time. Would I be best off going with a dual-link DVI cable?
3 - Also I have an HDMI to DVI cable and all the pins are filled so it appears to be dual link, same goes with an adapter I have laying around, any problems using one of those?

Thanks for the help in advance!!

Update 1: meh I tried both the single link DVI and HDMI cable with the patch and I was unable to achieve more than 75hz. On another note I WAS able to achieve 75hz on both HDMI and single link DVI (tested with 3 ufo tests)!!! ya can't beat dem free hz!!!

Update 2: Looks like the patch killed my video playback! I reinstalled my drivers and had a fuzzy screen at 75hz using single link dvi. Tried with HDMI @ 75hz without the patch and all is OK. Any reason why my video playback was nerf'd with the patch?
11-28-2013, 12:39 AM
Hi all!
Just wondering if someone can help me.
Just updated my windows from 7 to 8 and have problem with cru not keep the settings after a reboot.
I add for example 60, 96, 105, and 120. With 96 in the first line. But when I restart the computer 60hz is always on. I need to delete all values but one to get it to start with the custom refresh rate.

Some info:
I have the AMD drivers patched (test with the patcher that says everything patched. using 13.11 beta 9.4.)
7950 Graphic
latest CRU (by 2013/11/28)
Overlord OC PCB in a crossover 27Q

I had it working good under Win7 but this darn Win8 screw many things up...
Any suggestions? Read in this thread that you can install a .inf file from device manager with driver signature off. But there arent a .inf file with the latest patcher or CRU.
Sincerely
11-28-2013, 03:34 AM
I have the same exact setup as you and I am struggling. I was unclear as to what exactly worked for you. Did you have to create new resolution entries using CRU as well as purchasing the active display port?

If so, could you share the .dat file which worked?

Thanks,

- Pat

(11-19-2013 01:56 PM)cptcorn Wrote:  
(11-19-2013 07:37 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(11-18-2013 09:16 PM)cptcorn Wrote:  I have a SEIKI SE39UY04 monitor, and a AMD FirePro M8900 gpu in a Dell M6600 Workstation.

DisplayPort > HDMI

Every time I plug it in, I get 1080p/60 resolution.

I started adding custom resolutions to no avail. I then found the amd patch. That didn't help.
If that laptop has switchable graphics, custom resolutions won't work.

If custom resolutions do work, then that adapter might be a problem. If it's an active adapter, it might not be able to handle higher resolutions. Active adapters are usually only made to handle up to 1080p @ 60 Hz.

If it's a passive adapter, it might work. You might have to disable the extension block to get it working with the patch, or you can try importing this extension block: https://www.monitortests.com/hdmi.dat

I'm not 100% certain but I don't believe it has switchable graphics. I see nothing for a built in gpu, in the system or in the bios.

The adapter I'm using is bizlink TK041
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0041OB2RG/?tag=mtests-20#ad

I installed the hdmi.dat file and I still have the same results. Along with enabling and disabling the extension block.

UPDATE
So I unpatched the driver and started over. I set a resolution of 3840x2160@15hz to keep it under the limit and it worked... I can get up to 18hz before it stops working. However, patching the drivers and doing 3840x2160@19-30 doesn't work.

UPDATE2
StarTech.com DP2HDS came today. Same results as above. I know for sure that this is an active adapter.

UPDATE3
The bizlink TK041 I believe is a passive adapter. When I view edid information in CCC switching between the two shows adaptive and passive. Still doesn't seem to want to go past the 165mhz clock speed, even with the patch. Makes me wonder if it's a Raedon vs FirePro issue... would that affect the amd patcher you created at all?

More Info...
I tried plugging directly in through my hdmi out port, thinking it wouldn't work, but it did, 3840x2160@18 ... I even tried using the docking station + DP>HDMI both adapters, same results... and that's about all I have. Not sure what else to do or try.

More research... from displayport wiki
In January 2013, a new VESA specification was released called DisplayPort Dual-Mode Standard version 1.1, which brings dual-mode capabilities on par with HDMI 1.4, allowing a TDMS clock rate of up to 300 MHz... -and- A notable limitation of Type 1 dual-mode is that it can only transmit single-link DVI (and HDMI), as the number of pins in the DisplayPort connector is insufficient for dual-link connections. Also, it is limited to a TMDS clock rate of 165 MHz. As a result, an active converter is needed for Dual-Link DVI, HDMI 1.3+, and analog component video such as VGA.

Well I have both passive and active, neither go above the 165mhz clock rate.

FINAL UPDATE
I just recieved Accell B086B-003B which is a Type 2 active adapter. Everything works perfectly!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ESFF5O4/?tag=mtests-20#ad
11-29-2013, 05:06 PM
When I opened CRU initially, my monitor's native resolution 2560x1600 is already displayed in the detailed resolutions. However, I cannot find this resolution on windows' resolution options or on CCC. The highest they both go is 1920x1600. I added another set of values for 2560x1600 and restarted the compute and still can't find this resolution (except now it appears twice on CRU). I'm sorry if I'm being stupid, but do you have any suggestions?
11-29-2013, 10:02 PM
Pease, can someone help me with an issue I have with my tv not being able to use 1080p with 60hz on my pc? I made a new thread in the "monitors" section with all the details.
11-30-2013, 03:32 AM
(11-28-2013 03:34 AM)patrick145 Wrote:  I have the same exact setup as you and I am struggling. I was unclear as to what exactly worked for you. Did you have to create new resolution entries using CRU as well as purchasing the active display port?
That adapter uses DisplayPort and acts as a converter, so you should be able to add custom resolutions without worrying about the 165 MHz limit.