Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
02-06-2014, 08:34 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(02-05-2014 12:18 PM)hannes69 Wrote:  Beside that I want to replace my current GPU (Radeon HD4550) with a newer model with more power, Powerstrip fully supports only models up to the HD4000 series.
So two reasons to change over from Powerstrip to CRU.
So what´s the problem? - As far as I can see, CRU allows setting the pixelclock frequency to 2 decimal places, that isn´t sufficient for a really accurate setting of the refresh rate for a movie to avoid framedrops/repeats. With Powerstrip there are 5 or 6 decimal places, that´s ok.
So, where sits the limitation of this within CRU and why can Powerstrip work more accurate?
CRU creates EDID overrides. EDIDs only have two decimal places for the pixel clock. PowerStrip controls the video card directly through its own driver. I don't know any other program that can adjust the pixel clock with that much precision. I remember PowerStrip working with 5000/6000-series cards even though they're not officially supported. 7000-series cards won't work though.

(02-05-2014 12:18 PM)hannes69 Wrote:  Another question to ToastyX especially because as author of this software I hope you can give me an answer or idea:
Is there an tool / excelfile / script to show combinations of the porches with corresponding pixelclock setting for a wanted refresh rate?
The pixel clock is just the total number of pixels per second (horizontal total * vertical total * refresh rate). Keep in mind that the hardware clock is not 100% accurate, so some adjustment will still be required to achieve an exact rate.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-07-2014, 04:28 AM (Last edited: 02-07-2014, 02:33 PM by antonio93)
ToastyX I've got a problem.

I tried to follow your steps but 'cause I'm noob with pc I failed.

My monitor is refreshed into 75hz (60hz default and 72-75 if I use AMD VISION) and aparrently cannot support more than these values.

The steps were:

1) Click on AMD/ATI Pixel Clock Patcher, patch, reboot.
2) Click on CRU, delete all configs. Make new configs about my resolution desired (1600x900 @85hz) Reboot.
3) So I wrote after that on windows search "display", then I went to adjust resolution, then advanced settings, then monitor, then monitor settings, screen refresh rate, and finally I unchecked the box about only use default hz modes. So I was able to change the hz from 60hz to 85hz, and what happened? Black screen and the AI monitor telling me about something like that "higher frecuency than supported" and after a few seconds the black screen dissapeared.

So after that, I tried using AMD Vision Engine Control Center. I was able to put my max. resolution on 2560*1536 and max hz on 200hz. After that I manage the option about select desktop resolution. I put 1600x900 and 85hz, didn't work. So I tried using a lower hz, 75hz, and voila it's works.
But I tried again after my little win with higher values of frecuency, and it didn't work. Trying everything I saw an option which said something about "use EDID drivers default", I checked the box option and click okay, the result was a black screen as happened to me in other ocassions when I tried to gain more hz, but this time the black screen kept forever on my screen, it's not disabled. So I joined on Windows on secure mode low resolution (640x480), I manage AMD VISION to change my resolution to 1600x900 @75hz + disabling "use EDID drivers default" + restoring settings from AMD/ATI Pixel Clock Patcher + restore setttings from CRU.

I hope you can help me.

[Image: http://oi59.tinypic.com/wri4bs.jpg]
[Image: http://oi61.tinypic.com/v61b48.jpg]

PS. Sorry for my bad english, thx you so much. I will donate you a little amount if you can help me reach more than 75hz.

Finally about my specs:

BenQ GL2460
ATI 4850 512MB connected through VGA to BenQ (this card don't have dvi or hdmi)
Phenom II 965BE @3,4GHZ
4GB RAM DDR3
02-07-2014, 10:18 AM
Quote:EDIDs only have two decimal places for the pixel clock.
Ok, I understand, nothing to do at this point to increase the accuracy...

Quote:The pixel clock is just the total number of pixels per second (horizontal total * vertical total * refresh rate). Keep in mind that the hardware clock is not 100% accurate, so some adjustment will still be required to achieve an exact rate.
My projector can work with many porch and pixelclock combinations. I thougt about a script which delivers all possible porch-pixelclock combinations for a given refresh rate. For Powerstrip I had found such a script a few years ago, but the website doesn´t exist anymore and I have lost the script... With the accuracy of Powerstrip there were >20 different porch-pixelclock settings for a given refresh rate that were perfect enough for drop/repeatless movie playback within a few hours. It´s much work and trial and error process to find out these combinations manually... Lower one porch, higher another, higher the pixel clock, ... to hopefully get eg. a vertical frequency between 23.9759 and 23.9761. With only 2 decimal places for the pixelclock the goal is probably achieveable by one combination or with less luck with no combination. I´ll try if I can do a little script and try out. The automatic display switching feature of madvr in combination with CRU would be really nice. If it doesn´t work I´ll stick to Powerstrip, and when I change my GPU I would have to work with smoothmotion so no different refresh rates needed anymore. Not the perfect solution, but maybe I can live with that.
Greetings, Hannes.
02-09-2014, 12:08 AM
I have a question. I am having an issue with my games recognizing the 120hz option or 115...whatever profile I created in CRU doesn't appear to be picked up in the games. The nvidia control panel seems to pick them up fine.

I am running an Nvidia GTX 670 with an overlord tempest overclockable monitor 2560x1400.

I've had the games pick them up before but it seems very inconsistent and if I restart it disappears. Any help would be appreciated.
02-09-2014, 11:45 AM
(02-09-2014 12:08 AM)Gouda Wrote:  I have a question. I am having an issue with my games recognizing the 120hz option or 115...whatever profile I created in CRU doesn't appear to be picked up in the games. The nvidia control panel seems to pick them up fine.
Are the refresh rates listed in the Windows screen resolution settings? Did you uninstall GeForce Experience?
02-09-2014, 11:46 AM
(02-07-2014 04:28 AM)antonio93 Wrote:  ToastyX I've got a problem.

I tried to follow your steps but 'cause I'm noob with pc I failed.

My monitor is refreshed into 75hz (60hz default and 72-75 if I use AMD VISION) and aparrently cannot support more than these values.
I'm not seeing what the problem is. You're able to get 75 Hz, which is typical. Most monitors don't support more than 70-77 Hz. You don't need the patch with VGA.
02-09-2014, 11:47 AM
(02-06-2014 02:28 PM)Dragonheart Wrote:  Hi guys!
I'm choosing a new monitor for my friend, currently thinking of something like Benq GL2460. Is there any statistics about it's overclocking capabilities? I would really like to get 75Hz at least.
Looks like it can get 75 Hz, according to antonio93.
02-09-2014, 11:50 AM
(02-06-2014 05:46 AM)Pda Wrote:  I've managed to have Windows showing again with two screens working at same time.The trick is i can get output working on my T.V but ONLY with DVI/HDMI adaptor slotted on my graphical card's second DVI output.The direct HDMI is stilly desperatly showing nothing on my Panasonic plasma.
The TV should work just by plugging it in. You shouldn't have to do anything special to get it working. It might be an NVIDIA driver bug. Try an older driver like 320.49. Some NVIDIA users have had trouble with recent drivers not working with their display: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic...-1-23-14-/

(02-06-2014 05:46 AM)Pda Wrote:  Without HDMI direct,if i remember well,impossible to try your different Tweaks,right? Sad
Which tweaks? HDMI ports work like single-link DVI ports. It should work the same with DVI.
02-09-2014, 12:07 PM
(02-05-2014 03:54 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(02-03-2014 09:10 PM)valerio65 Wrote:  So there aren't anymore? I should use only the 60hz input? D:
Anymore what? If 75 Hz doesn't even work, then it probably can't handle anything over 60 Hz.

at 75 hz i show only a bit of the screen (the top part on the left) even if the resolution displayed is 1920x1080
02-09-2014, 01:21 PM
Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
Hello Toasty, thank you for your reply. I have reverted back to 7, because Vista was only using half of my CPU Power :/

ToastyX Wrote:  Make sure the highest resolution is listed first even if it's not native. You can use the arrow buttons to move them around. If the extension block is enabled, try disabling it.
I've tried everything you suggested me but none of them worked.

ToastyX Wrote:  Where did that happen?
Have a look at my screenshot below.

ToastyX Wrote:  That's a driver issue. I don't know why you are having this problem.
I don't think it's a driver issue, because other people still can apply custom resolutions/refresh rates with the latest AMD driver.

ToastyX Wrote:  It should work with Windows 7. Something was getting in the way with your old setup, but I don't know what it could be.
I know it should work but I don't know what's causing the problem.

Here's a screenshot of my system:
[Image: http://s14.directupload.net/images/140209/9wfjrgu5.png]

This is exactly what will happen after I just add a simple custom refresh rate @1080p:
-Windows Aero turns off
-I can't change the resolution anymore
-No more monitors are displayed in Device Manager
-"Generic PnP-Monitor" changes to "Default Monitor"
-No more "active" monitors in CRU
-Only 60HZ option available
-Monitors OSD still reports 1920x1080@60hz
-In the screen resolution settings from windows it shows me six displays instead of just one
-Identifying or detecting my monitor does not work anymore

I would appreciate any help you can provide!