Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
02-14-2014, 01:57 AM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(02-11-2014 11:39 AM)lols90 Wrote:  My monitor is connected with an DVI-D SL cable. I just bought a new one a few weeks ago just because of this.
I must admit it worked.. for once.
I went to CRU, added a custom refresh rate and exported it as an .inf file.
Then I applied this .inf to my monitor via Device Manager and after that it really displayed a 75hz option. I selected it and it worked but after I restarted my computer or if I just even detected my monitor, the screen goes black instantly. Behind the blackscreen I have found out that it changes the display name to "VGA" via teamviewer
If I reset everything and do the same steps I did before, it doesn't work anymore. Something is refusing the EDID override.

Anyway here are the files you wanted:
http://www.file-upload.net/download-8609...U.bin.html
http://www.file-upload.net/download-8609...1.bin.html
I think I know what the problem is. Your monitor incorrectly sets some reserved bits for the signal type, so when CRU upgrades the EDID version, that causes the monitor to be defined as a 48-bit color display with an invalid connection type, which then causes the driver to reject the monitor instead of just ignoring the override.

This is a rare problem that only affects a few monitors and only seems to cause trouble with AMD's driver. I can work around this problem. I will need some time to prepare a new version. I will have something for you to test shortly.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-14-2014, 02:14 PM (Last edited: 02-14-2014, 02:30 PM by molepole)
Hi Toasty,
I forgot what I had done a while back to downsample but after 14.1 it stopped working. I was reading around and now people say CRU is the way to go and so I've got the desired resolution going however every time I launch anything in that resolution, my monitor pops up with a notification saying "Not Optimum Mode - 1680x1050 60Hz". When I downsampled before, it never came up with that and it is very annoying that I have to reach over to my monitor to press a few buttons to get rid of it each time.

I also feel (don't know if I'm looking into it too much) like the downsampling is a bit off and not as crisp as it was before.

Do you know how to fix this?
02-14-2014, 04:10 PM
CRU is not a downsampling program. CRU is for monitor resolutions. You are sending the higher resolution to the monitor.
02-15-2014, 04:56 AM
(02-14-2014 01:55 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  I'm not sure about the GTX 260. All the other cards are too old.

3840x2160 @ 30 Hz requires a 297 MHz pixel clock. HDMI originally only supported 165 MHz. You need a card that supports HDMI 1.3 at least. The problem is even though HDMI 1.3 is supposed to support up to 340 MHz, most video cards that supposedly support HDMI 1.3 can't handle that much. Only newer video cards have been able to handle 297 MHz reliably over HDMI. I would recommend a Kepler-based card or a 7000-series AMD card minimum.

The patch requires a 400-series card minimum, but you might not need the patch with HDMI if you enable the extension block and import the hdmi-audio.dat file.

Thank you sir! Looks like I'll be buying a card.
02-16-2014, 02:06 PM (Last edited: 02-16-2014, 02:17 PM by lawson67)
Hi ToastyX i have noticed that weather i run the Qnix monitor driver file and use only NVCP to load my custom resolutions or if i use ONLY CRU using the blank extension file with Nvidia experience installed it seem that Nvidia experience is still coursing problems with EDID overrides and windows will randomly not see my custom resolutions...70% of the time?...they are listed in NVCP but if i go to windows resolution it only sees my 60hz profile...then i can reboot and windows and it sees them again!

Questions:
1: When i stopped using only NVCP and the Qnix monitor drive and went back to CRU i left the Qnix monitor driver still install....is it better to remove this and set monitor back to generic?..( will it help in anyway )

2: I can only Assume my problem is Nvidia experience as what you have said about Nvidia experience coursing problems with EDID overrides and windows not seeing my custom resolutions but being displayed in NVCP...Well my computer is displaying the exact same symptoms with Nvidia experience installed!...however i have used imported the blank extension!..so what i would like to know now is....would you being the Creator of CRU and the blank extension file and understanding how it all works find it simply impossable that my problems could still be related Nvidia experience? ...or do you believe i should look else where for the course?

3: If you still believe my problems are/could still related to Nvidia experience...( which at this point in time i think they must be as i am displaying word for word the symptoms you have described using Nvidia experience ) would not loading Nvidia experience windows at boot up help at all?....IE could i run it on demand to set up my games?...or do you believe this still would make no difference at all and it could still course EDID overrides in windows as in still not seeing my custom resolutions?...or do you believe a full uninstall is the only sure way to stop this?...to me not understanding fully how CRU/ the blank extension dat / and Nvidia experience fully work together!....believe it could be the order in which windows is loading things on a reboot...as in 70% of the time windows sees my custom resolutions...so would running Nvidia experience on demand help in your opinion?....or would adding a delay to Nvidia experience loading at boot up via task scheduler help in anyway?

This morning i got up checked windows resolution could not see my 120hz profile so i removed the Qnix monitor driver...i have now gone back to the generic monitor drive....would this in your opinion help cure it or not make any difference?

If you believe it is still Nvidia experience and running it on demand instead of loading it with windows will not help at all....do you plan on updating the blank extension dat any time in the future?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.... and as always thank you for your great software and your continued support with it enabling this monitor overclocking community to continue Smile....Lawson
02-16-2014, 04:21 PM
(02-16-2014 02:06 PM)lawson67 Wrote:  Hi ToastyX i have noticed that weather i run the Qnix monitor driver file and use only NVCP to load my custom resolutions or if i use ONLY CRU using the blank extension file with Nvidia experience installed it seem that Nvidia experience is still coursing problems with EDID overrides and windows will randomly not see my custom resolutions...70% of the time?...they are listed in NVCP but if i go to windows resolution it only sees my 60hz profile...then i can reboot and windows and it sees them again!
Is that happening even if you're just using the NVIDIA control panel to add custom resolutions? The NVIDIA control panel doesn't use EDID overrides, so it shouldn't trigger that problem. I haven't heard of that happening with just the NVIDIA control panel.

When you stopped using CRU, did you make sure to delete the override first? Make sure there isn't a * next to the monitor name.

(02-16-2014 02:06 PM)lawson67 Wrote:  1: When i stopped using only NVCP and the Qnix monitor drive and went back to CRU i left the Qnix monitor driver still install....is it better to remove this and set monitor back to generic?..( will it help in anyway )
The qnix.inf file has no effect on the problem. It's not needed with CRU, but having it installed won't hurt.

(02-16-2014 02:06 PM)lawson67 Wrote:  2: I can only Assume my problem is Nvidia experience as what you have said about Nvidia experience coursing problems with EDID overrides and windows not seeing my custom resolutions but being displayed in NVCP...Well my computer is displaying the exact same symptoms with Nvidia experience installed!...however i have used imported the blank extension!..so what i would like to know now is....would you being the Creator of CRU and the blank extension file and understanding how it all works find it simply impossable that my problems could still be related Nvidia experience? ...or do you believe i should look else where for the course?
NVIDIA's driver has a bug where EDID overrides don't work properly if something does a hardware scan. GeForce Experience does a hardware scan when it starts, which triggers the bug in the driver. Samsung Magician is also known to trigger this problem.

The problem only seems to happen if the monitor has the extension block enabled while the override doesn't, but NVIDIA's driver has another problem where EDID overrides are ignored if the extension block is enabled without an extension block override, so the blank-extension.dat is just a dummy extension block with nothing in it.

If the problem still happens after enabling the extension block and importing the blank-extension.dat file, then there must be some other way to trigger the bug that I don't know about. I don't know any other way around the problem other than to uninstall GeForce Experience and Samsung Magician.

(02-16-2014 02:06 PM)lawson67 Wrote:  3: If you still believe my problems are/could still related to Nvidia experience...( which at this point in time i think they must be as i am displaying word for word the symptoms you have described using Nvidia experience ) would not loading Nvidia experience windows at boot up help at all?....IE could i run it on demand to set up my games?
That will stop the bug from triggering on startup, but the bug might still trigger when you load GeForce Experience manually. I think disabling the NVIDIA tray icon will stop GeForce Experience from loading on startup.
02-16-2014, 05:08 PM
(02-16-2014 04:21 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(02-16-2014 02:06 PM)lawson67 Wrote:  Hi ToastyX i have noticed that weather i run the Qnix monitor driver file and use only NVCP to load my custom resolutions or if i use ONLY CRU using the blank extension file with Nvidia experience installed it seem that Nvidia experience is still coursing problems with EDID overrides and windows will randomly not see my custom resolutions...70% of the time?...they are listed in NVCP but if i go to windows resolution it only sees my 60hz profile...then i can reboot and windows and it sees them again!
Is that happening even if you're just using the NVIDIA control panel to add custom resolutions? The NVIDIA control panel doesn't use EDID overrides, so it shouldn't trigger that problem. I haven't heard of that happening with just the NVIDIA control panel.

When you stopped using CRU, did you make sure to delete the override first? Make sure there isn't a * next to the monitor name.

(02-16-2014 02:06 PM)lawson67 Wrote:  1: When i stopped using only NVCP and the Qnix monitor drive and went back to CRU i left the Qnix monitor driver still install....is it better to remove this and set monitor back to generic?..( will it help in anyway )
The qnix.inf file has no effect on the problem. It's not needed with CRU, but having it installed won't hurt.

(02-16-2014 02:06 PM)lawson67 Wrote:  2: I can only Assume my problem is Nvidia experience as what you have said about Nvidia experience coursing problems with EDID overrides and windows not seeing my custom resolutions but being displayed in NVCP...Well my computer is displaying the exact same symptoms with Nvidia experience installed!...however i have used imported the blank extension!..so what i would like to know now is....would you being the Creator of CRU and the blank extension file and understanding how it all works find it simply impossable that my problems could still be related Nvidia experience? ...or do you believe i should look else where for the course?
NVIDIA's driver has a bug where EDID overrides don't work properly if something does a hardware scan. GeForce Experience does a hardware scan when it starts, which triggers the bug in the driver. Samsung Magician is also known to trigger this problem.

The problem only seems to happen if the monitor has the extension block enabled while the override doesn't, but NVIDIA's driver has another problem where EDID overrides are ignored if the extension block is enabled without an extension block override, so the blank-extension.dat is just a dummy extension block with nothing in it.

If the problem still happens after enabling the extension block and importing the blank-extension.dat file, then there must be some other way to trigger the bug that I don't know about. I don't know any other way around the problem other than to uninstall GeForce Experience and Samsung Magician.

(02-16-2014 02:06 PM)lawson67 Wrote:  3: If you still believe my problems are/could still related to Nvidia experience...( which at this point in time i think they must be as i am displaying word for word the symptoms you have described using Nvidia experience ) would not loading Nvidia experience windows at boot up help at all?....IE could i run it on demand to set up my games?
That will stop the bug from triggering on startup, but the bug might still trigger when you load GeForce Experience manually. I think disabling the NVIDIA tray icon will stop GeForce Experience from loading on startup.

Hi ToastyX i have 2 stars ** by the monitors name in CRU which ever resolution i click on...how to help with this please...also you have given me some great information by telling me that Samsung Magician which i have installed along with the 2 stars ** could be coursing me this problems...however i am totally unsure of how to get rid of the 2 stars ** next to the monitors name in CRU and what ever resolution i click on in CRU be it the top middle of bottom custom resolution including the 60hz resolution which i am scared of deleting or doing something wrong and deleting that i dont know what to to sort out the star by the monitors name....could you please help me with that as in tell me what to do and then i can uninstall Samsung Magician and just try using the NVCP again....many thanks for your help Lawson
02-16-2014, 05:19 PM
(02-16-2014 05:08 PM)lawson67 Wrote:  Hi ToastyX i have 2 stars ** by the monitors name in CRU which ever resolution i click on...how to help with this please...also you have given me some great information by telling me that Samsung Magician which i have installed along with the 2 stars ** could be coursing me this problems...however i am totally unsure of how to get rid of the 2 stars ** next to the monitors name in CRU

(09-07-2012 09:06 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  To reset a display back to the default configuration, use the "Delete" button at the top and reboot. To reset all displays, run reset-all.exe and reboot. This can be done in safe mode if necessary.

Samsung Magician shouldn't matter if GeForce Experience is working because the workarounds should work for both.
02-16-2014, 05:50 PM (Last edited: 02-16-2014, 05:54 PM by lawson67)
(02-16-2014 05:19 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(02-16-2014 05:08 PM)lawson67 Wrote:  Hi ToastyX i have 2 stars ** by the monitors name in CRU which ever resolution i click on...how to help with this please...also you have given me some great information by telling me that Samsung Magician which i have installed along with the 2 stars ** could be coursing me this problems...however i am totally unsure of how to get rid of the 2 stars ** next to the monitors name in CRU

(09-07-2012 09:06 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  To reset a display back to the default configuration, use the "Delete" button at the top and reboot. To reset all displays, run reset-all.exe and reboot. This can be done in safe mode if necessary.

Samsung Magician shouldn't matter if GeForce Experience is working because the workarounds should work for both.

ToastyX thank you so much for your time and help it looks like you have cured my problems....using your instructions to " To reset a display back to the default configuration, use the "Delete" button at the top and reboot. To reset all displays, run reset-all.exe and reboot. This can be done in safe mode if necessary " appears to have done the trick and i am once again using only NVCP and the Qnix monitor driver...with nvidia experience installed

what did the little star by the monitor mean?....and why did i have 2 of them...i am asking questions to better understand what is happening which will lead to me not needing to bother you with stupid questions and as i will be better able to help myself if i understand what is happening instead of just blindly following instructions...also i the 2 little stars could of had something to do with windows not always seeing my custom resolutions while using CRU with nvidia experience installed and using the blank extension dat?...maybe the 2 stars by the monitor name was messing with the extension dat?. which allowed nvidia experience to course problems with the EDID?
02-16-2014, 06:17 PM
* means an override was saved.
** means an extension block override was also saved.

You should have ** if you imported blank-extension.dat.