Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
02-19-2014, 09:19 AM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(02-19-2014 04:37 AM)purecussion Wrote:  The new Nvidia update seems to be incompatible with CRU now. Everytime I turn it on now, it's a bad signal monitor.
CRU creates EDID overrides. It doesn't deal with the driver directly. It shouldn't need to be updated for new driver versions.

What video card and monitor are you using? What settings are you using with CRU? Export a file or take a screen shot.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-20-2014, 02:08 AM
(02-19-2014 09:19 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(02-19-2014 04:37 AM)purecussion Wrote:  The new Nvidia update seems to be incompatible with CRU now. Everytime I turn it on now, it's a bad signal monitor.
CRU creates EDID overrides. It doesn't deal with the driver directly. It shouldn't need to be updated for new driver versions.

What video card and monitor are you using? What settings are you using with CRU? Export a file or take a screen shot.

I don't know why I ever doubt you. I did the "FULL" patch vs the non one and it works now.
02-21-2014, 12:11 PM (Last edited: 02-21-2014, 12:24 PM by lawson67)
Hi toastyX i wonder if you could help me please?... i am using the the monitor qnix inf file with NVCP to overclock my Qnix monitor in custom resolutions......i was using CRU and i have deleted all EDID overrides in CRU by hitting delete at the top and using the reset all.exe....i am also using the full patch sine i have SLI..also i have just updated to the new Nvidia drivers 334.89...i updated by dropping back down to 60hz NOT deleting my custom prfiles in NVCP and i let nvidia grforce experience do an express install which over wrote your patch and installed the new drivers...then i repatched using your new 1.2.5 Nvidia driver patcher and then went into NVCP and re-selected my 120hz custom resolution which was still there after i upgraded my drivers...

However something can and will stop my games that normally see my customs resolutions from NVCP working?....if i go to the UFO test page i get 120 valid...but if i try ANY games they can NOT see my NVCP customs resolutions anymore?....also if i check windows resolution it also reports i that my refresh rate is 120 hertz...so it is something only going on with games...if i reboot 99% of the time everything works fine again and my games can now see my customs resolutions again?....so my problem is only games and i also believe whatever it is that stops my games seeing my 120hz customs resolutions on these occasions can EVEN happen in the middle of a windows session!....can you give me any pointers on where to look for the problem?..also with it being only games does this have something to do with DirectX being messed up and could there be some process running in the back ground that could stop DirectX seeing my custom resolutions?...if it is at all directX that could be being blocked seeing them?

i only mention DirectX because it only is happening with games when it does happen....it might have nothing to do with directX ...basically i am at a loss where to look? ...mainly because i simply do not understand the process that allows my games to see my custom resolutions...if i knew what allowed my games to see my custom resolutions i might be able to find the problem?...but i can only say this...whatever allows my browsers to see my custom resolutions works flawlessly and the UFO page always works fine.....however the process that allows my games to see my custom resolutions only works 70% of the time?....any help or pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated...many thanks Lawson
02-21-2014, 02:47 PM
(02-21-2014 12:11 PM)lawson67 Wrote:  However something can and will stop my games that normally see my customs resolutions from NVCP working?....if i go to the UFO test page i get 120 valid...but if i try ANY games they can NOT see my NVCP customs resolutions anymore?....also if i check windows resolution it also reports i that my refresh rate is 120 hertz...so it is something only going on with games...if i reboot 99% of the time everything works fine again and my games can now see my customs resolutions again?....so my problem is only games and i also believe whatever it is that stops my games seeing my 120hz customs resolutions on these occasions can EVEN happen in the middle of a windows session!....can you give me any pointers on where to look for the problem?..also with it being only games does this have something to do with DirectX being messed up and could there be some process running in the back ground that could stop DirectX seeing my custom resolutions?...if it is at all directX that could be being blocked seeing them?
This seems like a driver issue. If you're not using EDID overrides, then there might be another driver bug that affects custom resolutions. Only NVIDIA users seem to have this problem. If the refresh rate is listed in the Windows screen resolution advanced settings with "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display" enabled, then it should be available to games. Background processes can't affect what resolutions are available unless they're triggering a driver bug.

Check the device manager under display adapters and make sure there aren't any mirror drivers or anything other than your video cards. Check under monitors and make sure the qnix.inf file is still installed. The monitor will be listed as "Generic PnP Monitor" if it's not installed.
02-21-2014, 11:32 PM (Last edited: 02-21-2014, 11:57 PM by lawson67)
(02-21-2014 02:47 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(02-21-2014 12:11 PM)lawson67 Wrote:  However something can and will stop my games that normally see my customs resolutions from NVCP working?....if i go to the UFO test page i get 120 valid...but if i try ANY games they can NOT see my NVCP customs resolutions anymore?....also if i check windows resolution it also reports i that my refresh rate is 120 hertz...so it is something only going on with games...if i reboot 99% of the time everything works fine again and my games can now see my customs resolutions again?....so my problem is only games and i also believe whatever it is that stops my games seeing my 120hz customs resolutions on these occasions can EVEN happen in the middle of a windows session!....can you give me any pointers on where to look for the problem?..also with it being only games does this have something to do with DirectX being messed up and could there be some process running in the back ground that could stop DirectX seeing my custom resolutions?...if it is at all directX that could be being blocked seeing them?
This seems like a driver issue. If you're not using EDID overrides, then there might be another driver bug that affects custom resolutions. Only NVIDIA users seem to have this problem. If the refresh rate is listed in the Windows screen resolution advanced settings with "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display" enabled, then it should be available to games. Background processes can't affect what resolutions are available unless they're triggering a driver bug.

Check the device manager under display adapters and make sure there aren't any mirror drivers or anything other than your video cards. Check under monitors and make sure the qnix.inf file is still installed. The monitor will be listed as "Generic PnP Monitor" if it's not installed.

Thank you for replying toastyX sorry i could not reply sooner as it was my sisters wedding today....however i shall look in device manager for any mirror drivers and i did not have "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display"in windows resolution which i have now checked thanks to your advise..i am hoping that this alone could cure it?...anyhow thank you for giving me some insight on how the process works and some areas to go looking for possible courses...many thanks Lawson

Edit: hi again toastyX i have just looked in device manager and enabled show hidden devices....under display adapters are my 2 GTX660 and my I7-4770K Onboard haswell CPU chip "HD intel Graphics 4600" ..do you believe i should disable this?....i wonder if this could be the course of my problems?...also under monitors i had my Qnix driver monitor installed and my "Generic PnP Monitor" which i have now deleted leaving only my Qnix monitor driver left?....i will wait for a reply before disabling my "HD intel Graphics 4600" under display adaptors incase you think i should leave it enabled...many thanks again Lawson
02-22-2014, 12:16 AM
(02-21-2014 11:32 PM)lawson67 Wrote:  i did not have "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display"in windows resolution which i have now checked thanks to your advise..i am hoping that this alone could cure it?
That would not cure the problem. The point is to check if the refresh rate is still listed and not hidden after enabling that option. If it's still there, then it should be available to games.

(02-21-2014 11:32 PM)lawson67 Wrote:  Edit: hi again toastyX i have just looked in device manager and enabled show hidden devices....under display adapters are my 2 GTX660 and my I7-4770K Onboard haswell CPU chip "HD intel Graphics 4600" ..do you believe i should disable this?....i wonder if this could be the course of my problems?
I don't think that would cause any problems, but if you're not using the onboard GPU, then you might as well disable it in the BIOS.

(02-21-2014 11:32 PM)lawson67 Wrote:  also under monitors i had my Qnix driver monitor installed and my "Generic PnP Monitor" which i have now deleted leaving only my Qnix monitor driver left?
That's odd. If you only have one monitor connected, then there should have been only one monitor listed. I wonder why you had two. Right-click and choose "Scan for hardware changes" to make sure it doesn't reappear. Also, check if doing that triggers the problem because that's how the EDID override bug is triggered.
02-22-2014, 01:07 AM (Last edited: 02-22-2014, 01:09 AM by Tyras)
Hello everyone!

First of all, congrats for the amazing program, Toasty, and thanks =). Thanks to you i can have 75hz on my monitor. 60hz hurt my eyes bad...

But, since I installed the new Catalyst 14.1 beta, games like GRID 2 and BF4 (using mantle or DX11) crashes after a while. I've confirmed its something with CRU: To test, I did a clean install of the driver, tested the games and they ran without issues in 60hz. I then used CRU to create my native res (1600x900), but with 75hz (fully supported by my monitor), and then the games started to crash, regardless if I use 75 or 60hz. I repeated the test many times to confirm it. It doesn't happen with the latest stable driver (13.12).

Some games run flawlessly but others crash.

Have anyone experienced this?

Im using a Sapphire r9 290 (reference model) on a LG E2060.
02-22-2014, 02:08 AM (Last edited: 02-22-2014, 03:13 AM by lawson67)
(02-22-2014 12:16 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(02-21-2014 11:32 PM)lawson67 Wrote:  i did not have "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display"in windows resolution which i have now checked thanks to your advise..i am hoping that this alone could cure it?
That would not cure the problem. The point is to check if the refresh rate is still listed and not hidden after enabling that option. If it's still there, then it should be available to games.

(02-21-2014 11:32 PM)lawson67 Wrote:  Edit: hi again toastyX i have just looked in device manager and enabled show hidden devices....under display adapters are my 2 GTX660 and my I7-4770K Onboard haswell CPU chip "HD intel Graphics 4600" ..do you believe i should disable this?....i wonder if this could be the course of my problems?
I don't think that would cause any problems, but if you're not using the onboard GPU, then you might as well disable it in the BIOS.

(02-21-2014 11:32 PM)lawson67 Wrote:  also under monitors i had my Qnix driver monitor installed and my "Generic PnP Monitor" which i have now deleted leaving only my Qnix monitor driver left?
That's odd. If you only have one monitor connected, then there should have been only one monitor listed. I wonder why you had two. Right-click and choose "Scan for hardware changes" to make sure it doesn't reappear. Also, check if doing that triggers the problem because that's how the EDID override bug is triggered.

Hi again toastyx..no i never had 2 monitors installed but i did try a different dvi-d port the other day when i had this problem of my 120hz being seen then not seen and i can only think it put the "Generic PnP Monitor" in there also...however that has now gone and after a hardware scan did not come back....i only have one problem now and it this!

If i check the box in NVCP that says "enable resolutions not exposed by the display"....then once i enable that it knocks out the windows resolution under the advanced options that says "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display" gets unticked?....and if i re-tick the NVCP "enable resolutions not exposed by the display" gets unticked....one is knocking the other out for some reason?....if the one in NVCP gets knocked out my desktop always boots at 60 hz there after...so i have to leave that NVCP one enabled and the windows one unenabled?...do you think this could be a problem with my Qnix Driver?...i have attached my Qnix monitor file idont know if anything could be wrong with it?...i wonder if it needs an entry saying 120hz?......once again many thanks for your help....Lawson

Edit: do you think reinstalling the Nvidia drivers with only the Qnix monitor driver installed could fix it so i could check both box NVCP box and windows resolutions box together?

Edit i don't know how i have done it but i have got windows resolution "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display" to to save my custom profiles at last!...i kept making them and eventually windows said apply settings and they have now been set with the tick in the box in "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display" even after many reboots which is great!....the NVCP "enable resolutions not exposed by the display" is unticked but windows is booting into my 120hz and so far my games have seen it...relief for now lol

Attached File(s)
.zip  qnix.zip (Size: 477 bytes / Downloads: 561)
02-22-2014, 04:15 AM
(02-22-2014 02:08 AM)lawson67 Wrote:  If i check the box in NVCP that says "enable resolutions not exposed by the display"....then once i enable that it knocks out the windows resolution under the advanced options that says "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display" gets unticked?
Those options seem to be the same except worded oppositely, which is why they behave oppositely. 120 Hz should be available to games regardless of that option if the qnix.inf file is installed. I don't see anything wrong with the qnix.inf file.
02-22-2014, 04:20 AM
(02-22-2014 01:07 AM)Tyras Wrote:  But, since I installed the new Catalyst 14.1 beta, games like GRID 2 and BF4 (using mantle or DX11) crashes after a while. I've confirmed its something with CRU: To test, I did a clean install of the driver, tested the games and they ran without issues in 60hz. I then used CRU to create my native res (1600x900), but with 75hz (fully supported by my monitor), and then the games started to crash, regardless if I use 75 or 60hz. I repeated the test many times to confirm it. It doesn't happen with the latest stable driver (13.12).
CRU only creates EDID overrides, so it wouldn't be a CRU problem. There might be a driver bug related to EDID overrides or some other issue. The only thing that comes to mind is make sure the paging file is set to automatically manage because I've heard of games crashing with weird DirectX errors if not enough virtual memory is available.