Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
03-20-2014, 05:40 AM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(03-19-2014 05:50 PM)Wilk Freeman Wrote:  I found my monitor used a Dual-Link DVI and from what I read I should be able to use custom resolutions that use a 330MHz or less pixel clock. The default max resolution uses 268.50 MHz. But when I try any resolution over 2560x1600 I just get the message "The current input timing is not supported by the monitor display."

I've tried all different combinations of resolutions but it will not display above 1600p, why?

(09-07-2012 09:06 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  Notes:
  • This program adds monitor resolutions, not scaled resolutions. Lower resolutions will be scaled up if GPU scaling is enabled, but higher resolutions won't be scaled down by the GPU. Higher resolutions will only work if the monitor can handle them.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-20-2014, 05:42 AM
(03-19-2014 01:50 PM)incep Wrote:  However, yesterday I updated my driver to the latest ATI beta (14.3), which put my monitor into a test loop because it couldn't understand the input it was getting anymore. It happened right when the driver started up, in the middle of the installation process. Is this due to an incompatability in this tool, or is it the patchtool which doesn't work?
That shouldn't happen unless you deleted 60 Hz. You need to keep a resolution that the updated driver can use before it's patched.

There shouldn't be any compatibility issues with 14.3. If the patcher needs to be updated, it should tell you which limits were not found.
03-20-2014, 05:45 AM
(03-19-2014 02:16 AM)dice65 Wrote:  im showing 5760x1080 at 60hz in the ccc , also in windows in the display settings on win 7 , i dont remember seeing the TVs flash 120 hz , in the rfactor video setup config exe it also is set to 60hz , 120hz is not av , both the games ran at 60fps with vsync on before i got these TVs , with vsync on they should be running at 60 but there running at 120 fps ,i would still love to be able to send true 120hz signal to them tho via ccc , what should we try ? im open to anything lol , thanks again Toastyx !!
Have you added 120 Hz to all three TVs using CRU? Make sure the driver is still patched.

You might also have to do this:
(09-07-2012 09:06 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
  • Some monitor/GPU combinations can bypass the 165 MHz HDMI limit without patching the driver by enabling the extension block and importing one of these files:
03-21-2014, 10:36 PM (Last edited: 03-21-2014, 10:55 PM by apav)
Little off topic but I'm just wondering. So if I understand this correctly, when your monitor is at its limit with the refresh rate it can handle, you may see artifacts or scan lines that look like this:

https://flic.kr/p/edF574

I've also heard of scan lines that are other colors as well. So now I'm wondering what it is that I'm seeing on my monitor:

https://flic.kr/p/mhJAVz

It's hard to notice, but they are flickering, dark, almost transparent, horizontal lines that appear when my monitor is at 120hz and sometimes also at 110hz. I notice them the most in the top corners of my monitor. Are these just another form of artifacts because my monitor can't perfectly handle 120hz? What's interesting is my monitor can even display 135hz but the colors look much darker and blue scan lines start to appear. I have been running 120hz in games, but sometimes I can notice the lines. I have a QNIX 1440p PLS.
03-22-2014, 09:05 AM
(03-21-2014 10:36 PM)apav Wrote:  I've also heard of scan lines that are other colors as well. So now I'm wondering what it is that I'm seeing on my monitor:

https://flic.kr/p/mhJAVz

It's hard to notice, but they are flickering, dark, almost transparent, horizontal lines that appear when my monitor is at 120hz and sometimes also at 110hz. I notice them the most in the top corners of my monitor. Are these just another form of artifacts because my monitor can't perfectly handle 120hz? What's interesting is my monitor can even display 135hz but the colors look much darker and blue scan lines start to appear. I have been running 120hz in games, but sometimes I can notice the lines. I have a QNIX 1440p PLS.
I'm not sure what that is, but it could be an overclocking artifact. It almost looks like backlight/PWM flicker, but that wouldn't cause horizontal lines.
03-22-2014, 09:17 PM (Last edited: 03-22-2014, 09:48 PM by Nachbar)
Interesting utility here Toasty. I have a dilemma with my television and I hope you can help. I have a Pioneer VSX 1021-K receiver and a Magnavox 40mf430b/f7 TV connected via HDMI to my Geforce GTX 560 Ti on Windows 7 64-bit Pro. When I first plugged them in I would get a horrible overscan problem so for the longest time I would just go into the Nvidia control panel and enable desktop resizing and resize it down to 1824x1026 to get the image to fit the screen. However lately I discovered that if I set a custom resolution in the control panel and use CVT Reduced Blank I could then get full 1080p and have an awesome picture. The downside to doing this is that I lose HD audio capability. For example with the resized desktop @ 1824x1026p I get DTS, DD+, DTS-HD, Dolby TrueHD, DD @ a max of 24-bit, 192khz but with CVT-RB @ 1080p I only get DTS, DD+, DD @ a max of 24-bit, 96khz. Mangix in the Guru3D forums pointed me here to this utility and I tried it out however with the HDMI audio extension I'm not even getting dolby digital. Maybe I am doing something wrong and you can help me out?

So far what I've done in the utility is select the display, select the 1080p detailed resolution and edit it and choose automatic-lcd reduced, then ticked include extension block and imported blank-extension.dat and hdmi-audio.dat, clicked OK and restarted. I made sure I deleted the custom resolution in the nvidia control panel and that desktop resizing was disabled before I did this. I also tried the regular nvidia pixel clock patcher but it didn't help. The screen looks as it should just missing higher audio resolutions and bitstreaming support.
03-23-2014, 03:59 AM
(03-20-2014 05:45 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(03-19-2014 02:16 AM)dice65 Wrote:  im showing 5760x1080 at 60hz in the ccc , also in windows in the display settings on win 7 , i dont remember seeing the TVs flash 120 hz , in the rfactor video setup config exe it also is set to 60hz , 120hz is not av , both the games ran at 60fps with vsync on before i got these TVs , with vsync on they should be running at 60 but there running at 120 fps ,i would still love to be able to send true 120hz signal to them tho via ccc , what should we try ? im open to anything lol , thanks again Toastyx !!
Have you added 120 Hz to all three TVs using CRU? Make sure the driver is still patched.

You might also have to do this:
(09-07-2012 09:06 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
  • Some monitor/GPU combinations can bypass the 165 MHz HDMI limit without patching the driver by enabling the extension block and importing one of these files:

how do i import the hdmi.dat ? i tryed importing it in cru but nothing happened
03-23-2014, 08:13 AM
(03-23-2014 03:59 AM)dice65 Wrote:  how do i import the hdmi.dat ? i tryed importing it in cru but nothing happened
Use the "Import..." button in CRU. That should add a * next to "Include extension block" to indicate a custom extension block. That plus the patch should let you add 120 Hz as a detailed resolution. The TV might not support it though.
03-23-2014, 08:14 AM
(03-22-2014 09:17 PM)Nachbar Wrote:  Interesting utility here Toasty. I have a dilemma with my television and I hope you can help. I have a Pioneer VSX 1021-K receiver and a Magnavox 40mf430b/f7 TV connected via HDMI to my Geforce GTX 560 Ti on Windows 7 64-bit Pro. When I first plugged them in I would get a horrible overscan problem so for the longest time I would just go into the Nvidia control panel and enable desktop resizing and resize it down to 1824x1026 to get the image to fit the screen. However lately I discovered that if I set a custom resolution in the control panel and use CVT Reduced Blank I could then get full 1080p and have an awesome picture. The downside to doing this is that I lose HD audio capability. For example with the resized desktop @ 1824x1026p I get DTS, DD+, DTS-HD, Dolby TrueHD, DD @ a max of 24-bit, 192khz but with CVT-RB @ 1080p I only get DTS, DD+, DD @ a max of 24-bit, 96khz. Mangix in the Guru3D forums pointed me here to this utility and I tried it out however with the HDMI audio extension I'm not even getting dolby digital. Maybe I am doing something wrong and you can help me out?
Audio data is transmitted during the blanking periods, so reducing the blanking reduces the amount of data that can be sent. You'll have to play around with the blanking/totals to see what the TV will accept without causing the overscan problem.

The hdmi-audio.dat file only includes basic stereo audio. You need a custom extension block that includes the other formats.

You can import this file as a starting point: http://www.toastyx.net/1080p-bitstream.dat

That includes the standard 1080p as a detailed resolution and the audio formats in the extension block.
03-23-2014, 07:28 PM (Last edited: 03-23-2014, 09:04 PM by Nachbar)
Thanks Toasty for suggesting messing with the totals. I finally got it to work but will have to see if it will hold for the long run.
Here's how for anyone interested: I looked at the difference between totals between the automatic and reduced setting and went from there.
Automatic: 2200,1125 (148.5Mhz), Reduced: 2080,1111 (138.65Mhz). The difference is 120,14 (9.8Mhz). Since this is close enough to 10:1 I just went with that and started bumping it up from the reduced setting. The first bump actually worked (2090,1112 (139.45Mhz)) so I decided to keep bumping it up from there until I encountered problems. Around 2130,1116 (142.62Mhz) the monitor starts to randomly lose the signal.

Ultimately I decided to go with 2100,1113 (140.24Mhz) and so far there aren't any problems. Should I adjust the other settings to keep in line with the Totals change or leave them alone? Right now I am using the reduced values.

Edit: that timing eventually lost and regained signal after about ten minutes so I bumped it down to 2090,1112 and so far so good.
Edit again: I messed around to find the lowest pixel rate the monitor would do and still be 1080p with Hd audio and it is at 2088,1111 (139.1861Mhz). I'm going to go with this as my guess is the lower the pixel rate the more stable my monitor will be.