Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
04-08-2014, 08:36 AM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(04-08-2014 04:42 AM)kallell Wrote:  Anyone having issues with the qnix2710 and the latest nvidia drivers? I can't seem to OC for the life of me. No experience installed, drivers patched, 96 or 120 won't show up in select- able resolutions.
Either disable the extension block, or enable the extension block and import the blank-extension.dat file.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2014, 03:16 PM (Last edited: 04-08-2014, 03:19 PM by monitor)
Hi, i own a benq xl2420t and an HD7950 and iv been playing around with cru and id like to know the benefits of each value. This screenshot is of the manual values im running at on the left and what would be default values running on the right.

[Image: http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/824/1eaz.png]

Is there any benifit to having non standard values. Thanks.
04-08-2014, 08:14 PM
(04-07-2014 10:50 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  That happens because your TV stops transmitting the EDID when turning it off or switching inputs, so it's like the TV is disconnecting. I guess at some point when the TV disconnects, the driver is assuming you're using an HDMI-DVI cable
I’ve been using the exact same setup in Windows XP for years. I mean it’s still the same computer with the same hardware and I’ve never had this problem. The only thing is different now is the operating system (Windows 7) on another HDD. The reason (and I’m sure you know about it) I started looking for the software like yours is because the support for Win XP is gone and I had to switch to Win 7 which only provides the resolution that it “thinks” is good enough for me with no additional options.
Here is the way it is on XP (I still have fully operational OS on the other HDD). You’ll see in this video that the resolution in “display properties” is set to 1600X1200 and there’s plenty of room to change it. And of course (the main thing) it would not go away while cloning displays.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erm5pOrwVs8

In Win 7 (without your software) I have the maximum available resolution 1600X900 with the latest driver. But what I need is 1600X1200.

(04-07-2014 10:50 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  but if that's not causing problems, then just check "Don't display this message again" to ignore it.
The message itself is not a problem. I can definitely check that box. The problem I bumped into last night was that when I turned my TV on to watch the movie the sound from the computer was gone (HDMI not plugged in). In my previous post I told you that it was not affecting the sound but this time it did. I restarted the computer – still the same thing. Ran “reset-all”-> reboot-> still nothing. Unplugged/plugged back the HDMI cable from computer and TV-> reboot-> nothing. Uninstalled the drivers using device manager -> reboot -> Windows reinstalled drivers-> no effect. Connected my XP drive-> still the same. I already thought that something happened to my video card. Then I just turned off both the computer and TV -> turned them back on and there was the sound again. As you can see it is causing problems. Can it be fixed? I can go back to the old drivers if that’s going to help not to refresh the displays (like it is in XP).

(04-07-2014 10:50 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  That's an issue with the video player not handling the resolution changes properly when the TV disconnects. Does that happen with the latest version of VLC?
Yes. I have the latest version of VLC. This is not a major problem though.
04-09-2014, 01:04 AM
(04-08-2014 08:14 PM)rmike1991 Wrote:  I’ve been using the exact same setup in Windows XP for years. I mean it’s still the same computer with the same hardware and I’ve never had this problem. The only thing is different now is the operating system (Windows 7) on another HDD. The reason (and I’m sure you know about it) I started looking for the software like yours is because the support for Win XP is gone and I had to switch to Win 7 which only provides the resolution that it “thinks” is good enough for me with no additional options.
Windows 7 gets the available resolutions from the video driver. The video driver gets the supported resolutions from the TV's EDID. CRU overrides the TV's EDID, but that only works while the TV is connected. Your TV stops transmitting the EDID when you turn it off or switch inputs, which makes the video driver believe the TV disconnected. That causes Windows to rearrange the desktop, which is confusing the video player. That's what's happening. The HDMI audio information is also stored in the EDID, and the driver seems to be getting confused at some point during the disconnections and causing problems with audio.

The only way around those issues is to use a device like the HDMI Detective to continually transmit the EDID, which tricks the video card into thinking the TV is always connected. I did some searching and found this guy selling a cheaper device that does the same thing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/201052588124
04-09-2014, 01:12 AM
(04-08-2014 03:16 PM)monitor Wrote:  Hi, i own a benq xl2420t and an HD7950 and iv been playing around with cru and id like to know the benefits of each value. This screenshot is of the manual values im running at on the left and what would be default values running on the right.
I'm not sure what you're trying to do. Usually people want to use lower blanking/total values to reduce the pixel clock, which can help with trying to get higher refresh rates. The only issue is the video card won't clock down on idle if the vertical blanking/total values are too low. The other values don't really matter. Just use whatever works with the monitor.
04-09-2014, 06:44 AM
Yes iv seen in this thread people lowering the blanking/total values to reduce the pixel clock and acheive higher refresh rates. What im needing explained is what the front porch, sync width, back porch, blanking and total values are and if a higher or lower number is best. Is increasing the pixel clock beneficial and what is the pixel clock limit.
04-09-2014, 12:35 PM
Hi,

Is it possible to add 3D resolution + hz ?

I need 1080p30 instead 1080p24.

I only have 1920x1080 60Hz (148.50) 1920x1080 50Hz (148.50) on the Detailed resolutions.

I have ATI 7970 and Philips 7007 series (PHL0000 Philips FTV) using HDMI cable.

I want to be able to use HD3D ATI 1.4 with 30 Hz instead of 24 Hz/
04-09-2014, 04:22 PM
(04-09-2014 01:04 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  Windows 7 gets the available resolutions from the video driver. The video driver gets the supported resolutions from the TV's EDID. CRU overrides the TV's EDID, but that only works while the TV is connected. Your TV stops transmitting the EDID when you turn it off or switch inputs, which makes the video driver believe the TV disconnected.

Thanks a lot for the explanation. Since it was a driver making my displays to refresh I uninstalled the current one and installed one from 2009. Guess what. Now (of course with CRU) everything works fine. At least for now.

Thank you very much for your help! I really appreciate it!
All the best.
04-09-2014, 08:52 PM
Greetings,

Can someone help me overclocking my Dell P2414H to 75Hz or higher with some safe values? I'm using DisplayPort as a connection for my HD7950 GPU.
04-10-2014, 08:16 AM
Does the changing of 60Hz to 75Hz affects the colors ?
I opened a threa here : https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Threa...ility--105
After i changed the refresh rate, the colors are a bit washed out, even the settings are untouched in Nvidia Control Panel / monitor setting
It looks a bit more different, more white, i don't know how to explain.
Could someone explain how to have the 75Hz but to keep the nice colors like with 60Hz ?
Thank you