Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
04-11-2014, 08:54 AM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
Thanks, Toasty,
However there is no 1280x720@60hz to remove.
It's shown in the list of resolutions in CCC and in display settings, but I can't remove it.

Here's something else I just found out: Maybe this will help you with what's going on:

If I use reset-all, restart the computer, etc, 50 hz is gone (well its in italics, so its "unsupported") at 1920x1080.
HOWEVER.....

if I export the cru file right after doing reset all (and restarting before exporting), then reboot, then re-import the stock file I just exported....guess what?
50 hz is there again, even though I "changed" nothing...

It seems that if I make *ANY* change to anything in CRU, even if its an edit and a remove of something, 50 hz is added, but only at 1920x1080....
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-11-2014, 10:37 AM
(04-11-2014 08:54 AM)falkentyne Wrote:  Here's something else I just found out: Maybe this will help you with what's going on:

If I use reset-all, restart the computer, etc, 50 hz is gone (well its in italics, so its "unsupported") at 1920x1080.
HOWEVER.....

if I export the cru file right after doing reset all (and restarting before exporting), then reboot, then re-import the stock file I just exported....guess what?
50 hz is there again, even though I "changed" nothing...

It seems that if I make *ANY* change to anything in CRU, even if its an edit and a remove of something, 50 hz is added, but only at 1920x1080....
I just checked with the VG248QE. For some reason, AMD's driver is adding 50 Hz even if I reset everything and don't make any changes with CRU. I don't know why the driver is behaving that way. The monitor's EDID doesn't even define any 50 Hz resolutions.

The driver won't add 50 Hz and 60 Hz if you remove all the standard and established resolutions. Technically, you don't need them anyway because the driver will automatically add lower resolutions with GPU scaling.
04-11-2014, 03:24 PM
ToastyX, sometimes I can see a very brief flash and some line across the screen, but that is just sometimes. Now Im thinking is that because of this overclock ? Should I be worried ? How can I spot if my overclock is not good?
04-12-2014, 12:23 PM
(04-10-2014 09:22 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(04-09-2014 06:44 AM)monitor Wrote:  Yes iv seen in this thread people lowering the blanking/total values to reduce the pixel clock and acheive higher refresh rates. What im needing explained is what the front porch, sync width, back porch, blanking and total values are and if a higher or lower number is best. Is increasing the pixel clock beneficial and what is the pixel clock limit.
The front porch is the period before the sync pulse. The sync width is the length of the sync pulse. The back porch is the period after the sync pulse. There are no "best" values for those parameters. The actual values don't matter much with most LCD monitors. Just use whatever works with the monitor.

The blanking is the period between each line and frame that includes the front porch + sync width + back porch. If you want to reduce the blanking, you'd have to reduce at least one of those values. CRU changes the back porch if you change the blanking or total values. The total is the active + blanking.

The pixel clock is the total number of pixels per second: horizontal total * vertical total * refresh rate. If you were trying to get higher refresh rates and the standard values weren't working, you'd want to try lower blanking/total values to reduce the pixel clock. Increasing the pixel clock is not beneficial because it wastes bandwidth and can cause signal quality problems if the hardware or the cable can't handle it.

I don't know what you're trying to do because you're not trying to get higher refresh rates and the standard values work with your monitor.

Thanks for the explanation. At first i was trying to downsample with CRU but all it resulted in was a blurry screen. So i then decided to see if i could improve the monitor with different settings. What i dont understand is that if there are no best settings and higher or lower settings dont matter then why are the still shipping 60Hz IPS monitors when those monitors are capable of at least 72Hz ?
04-14-2014, 08:56 PM
(04-12-2014 12:23 PM)monitor Wrote:  Thanks for the explanation. At first i was trying to downsample with CRU but all it resulted in was a blurry screen. So i then decided to see if i could improve the monitor with different settings. What i dont understand is that if there are no best settings and higher or lower settings dont matter then why are the still shipping 60Hz IPS monitors when those monitors are capable of at least 72Hz ?
Manufacturers don't seem to care. They must not consider it a significant market.

While there are no best settings, there are standards to make sure everything can interoperate with each other. For 1920x1080 monitors, 72 Hz with standard timing parameters exceeds the 165 MHz pixel clock limit for single-link DVI. Using dual-link DVI would increase cost and reduce compatibility with systems that don't have dual-link DVI. It could be done with HDMI, but only newer GPUs support going past 165 MHz with HDMI, and HDMI requires paying royalties.

In reality, interoperability shouldn't even be a concern because monitors report what settings to use in the EDID. 1920x1080 @ 72-75 Hz could also be done with non-standard timing parameters, but that's not commonly done. I've only seen 144 Hz monitors use non-standard timing parameters to fit 144 Hz under 330 MHz, and the same timing parameters could be used to fit 72 Hz within 165 MHz.

Regardless, it's technically possible and not even that difficult, so they must not care enough to offer 72-75 Hz IPS monitors.
04-14-2014, 09:01 PM
(04-11-2014 03:24 PM)La9000 Wrote:  ToastyX, sometimes I can see a very brief flash and some line across the screen, but that is just sometimes. Now Im thinking is that because of this overclock ? Should I be worried ? How can I spot if my overclock is not good?
Have you tried the "LCD standard" or "LCD reduced" timing options? Overclocking monitors is generally safe. You don't have to worry about 75 Hz damaging your monitor. Either the monitor can handle it, or it won't display a proper picture. If you don't see any problems, then it's good.
04-15-2014, 10:51 AM
Toasty -

I'll be the first to admit I did not search through the 80+ pages of this thread, but I'm hoping you can give me a quick and dirty answer.

I'm looking to lock the resolution on my XP machine regardless of the monitor attached.

Example:

I have an ASUS attached, I set the resolution to 1280x1024 60Hz, I run the EDID override to lock this in.

I connect an LG, I would like the resolution to be locked to 1280x1024 60Hz without needing to perform additional steps. ie EDID is block for every monitor after I've defined my settings.

Is this possible? It appears your tool creates an entry for the monitor attached, is there a way to assign this globally rather than on a per monitor basis?

THANKS! Wink

FYI I have the ability to disable DDC completely in hardware, this may be the necessary solution, let me know your thoughts on that.
04-15-2014, 10:28 PM
(03-20-2014 05:42 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(03-19-2014 01:50 PM)incep Wrote:  However, yesterday I updated my driver to the latest ATI beta (14.3), which put my monitor into a test loop because it couldn't understand the input it was getting anymore. It happened right when the driver started up, in the middle of the installation process. Is this due to an incompatability in this tool, or is it the patchtool which doesn't work?
That shouldn't happen unless you deleted 60 Hz. You need to keep a resolution that the updated driver can use before it's patched.

There shouldn't be any compatibility issues with 14.3. If the patcher needs to be updated, it should tell you which limits were not found.

Hi again. Thanks for your reply. I'm a little slow here. You were right, I had only changed my 60hz mode, and it had nothing to fall back to.

I have now installed the latest AMD 14.3 driver, and while patching it with the atimdag patcher, it couldn't find the DVI/HDMI value, it told me.
I'm setting custom resolutions in CRU, but they're not showing up in CC or Windows resolution settings.

Win 8.1
HD7970GE
Qnix QX2710 monitor

Oh, and by the way.. Thanks for making these tools for the community, and replying to everyones questions in these threads. It's people like you that make the world a slightly better place!
04-16-2014, 07:54 PM
(04-15-2014 10:28 PM)incep Wrote:  I have now installed the latest AMD 14.3 driver, and while patching it with the atimdag patcher, it couldn't find the DVI/HDMI value, it told me.
I'm setting custom resolutions in CRU, but they're not showing up in CC or Windows resolution settings.
You need to update the patcher: https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Threa...ck-Patcher
04-16-2014, 08:34 PM
(04-15-2014 10:51 AM)blazin912 Wrote:  I'm looking to lock the resolution on my XP machine regardless of the monitor attached.
Windows XP does not support EDID overrides.

(04-15-2014 10:51 AM)blazin912 Wrote:  It appears your tool creates an entry for the monitor attached, is there a way to assign this globally rather than on a per monitor basis?
I don't know of a way to do that with software. EDID overrides were meant to apply to specific monitors. The driver considers each monitor with a different EDID to be a separate monitor, so the override would only apply to that monitor. It could be done with a device that sends the same EDID no matter what monitor is connected, or you can try modifying a cable to remove the DDC pin to disable monitor detection.