Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
04-21-2014, 10:28 PM
Photo RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(04-16-2014 07:54 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(04-15-2014 10:28 PM)incep Wrote:  I have now installed the latest AMD 14.3 driver, and while patching it with the atimdag patcher, it couldn't find the DVI/HDMI value, it told me.
I'm setting custom resolutions in CRU, but they're not showing up in CC or Windows resolution settings.
You need to update the patcher: https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Threa...ck-Patcher

I have 1.2.3 and with the latest 14.4 AMD drivers released today, the patcher doesn't find SL Limit on DL-DVI.
http://i.imgur.com/WmW3fnb.png
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-22-2014, 09:24 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(04-21-2014 10:28 PM)slimething Wrote:  I have 1.2.3 and with the latest 14.4 AMD drivers released today, the patcher doesn't find SL Limit on DL-DVI.
I've updated the patcher: https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Threa...ck-Patcher

If you already patched 14.4 with 1.2.3, the restore from backup won't work correctly unless you reinstall the driver first.
04-23-2014, 12:01 AM
(04-22-2014 09:24 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(04-21-2014 10:28 PM)slimething Wrote:  I have 1.2.3 and with the latest 14.4 AMD drivers released today, the patcher doesn't find SL Limit on DL-DVI.
I've updated the patcher: https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Threa...ck-Patcher

If you already patched 14.4 with 1.2.3, the restore from backup won't work correctly unless you reinstall the driver first.
Works. Thanks.
04-25-2014, 10:58 PM
(12-14-2012 02:02 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  It's possible you're editing the wrong one. Each connection creates a separate entry, and there may be outdated entries that aren't being used anymore. CRU should pick the first active entry it finds, but if you're not sure which is which, delete all of them and reboot. Then the list should only have entries that are currently active.

Hello Toasty!

I quotet you so you get notified. I think ur the person that can help me most with my problem, as ur the developer and I have a question about ur tool.

I posted this in the Blurbubstersforum, but I think it is better here. So I paste what I written there and hope you can help me out.

here:

Hello,

as a AMD-Grafik user I have to use the ToastyX tool to apply the 1350 trick to my XL2720Z+BlurBusterUtility.

But I think it did not apply this patch, as the screen is really dim. Anyway I find no way to approve if the Trick worked.

What I did:

Started the ToastyX Custom Resolution Utility 1.1.2 (OS: windows 8.1 x64, all Updates, Grafik Driver 14.4 beta)

then I deleted all "Detailed resolutions"-Profiles and just added one Profile as it is described in this how-to:http://www.blurbusters.com/benq/strobe-utility/#1350

I realized the how-to is written for an older version of ToastyX. So it is unclear wich settings have to be done for "Sync width" and "Front porch". I just set them exactly as they are in the picture in the how-to.

I then pressed OK,...OK, Resterted machine.

(I also unticked all boxes under "Established resolutions" but I think this does not matter)

The Problem is:

After restart it seems as nothing happened. For testing-purposes I made a single 1600x900 Profile in "detailed resolutions, but this resolution was not selected after restart.

Can someone say me how I can check if the 1350 trick worked ? For now it seems it didnt work.

Are there any new entries in windows-resolution-list after this patch ? I dont understand how to see if it worked.

any help would be apriciated

greetz rev
04-26-2014, 09:22 PM
(04-25-2014 10:58 PM)revnu Wrote:  Started the ToastyX Custom Resolution Utility 1.1.2 (OS: windows 8.1 x64, all Updates, Grafik Driver 14.4 beta)

then I deleted all "Detailed resolutions"-Profiles and just added one Profile as it is described in this how-to:http://www.blurbusters.com/benq/strobe-utility/#1350

I realized the how-to is written for an older version of ToastyX. So it is unclear wich settings have to be done for "Sync width" and "Front porch". I just set them exactly as they are in the picture in the how-to.
The pixel clock cannot exceed 330 MHz unless the driver is patched: https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Threa...ck-Patcher

You don't need the patch if you set the horizontal total to 2032, but the monitor might not support that. The picture shows NVIDIA's custom resolution dialog. You can use the same front porch and sync width values with CRU. The back porch and blanking are automatically calculated from the totals.

AMD's driver also has a bug with Windows 8.1 where EDID overrides don't take effect after rebooting. Restart the driver to work around the problem: https://www.monitortests.com/restart.zip

Rename restart64.exe to restart-only.exe and put it in the Startup folder (Win+R shell:startup) to make it automatically restart the driver after rebooting.
04-26-2014, 09:57 PM
(04-26-2014 09:22 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  ....
AMD's driver also has a bug with Windows 8.1 where EDID overrides don't take effect after rebooting. Restart the driver to work around the problem: https://www.monitortests.com/restart.zip

Rename restart64.exe to restart-only.exe and put it in the Startup folder (Win+R shell:startup) to make it automatically restart the driver after rebooting.

THX for ya help. I now patched the driver, then deleted all detailed resulotions in your costum resulution Utility and made only one detailed resolution like the Chief Admin of Blurbusters.com posted it in the picture I attached.

After that I pressed OK and now I only use your restart.exe to load this.

How can I now control if it worked ? Are there any values I can read somewhere, or any additional entries to check out?

For now I did not totally understand what happens. There are values, that override the standards.....but are these values only active if I play games ?

Is this active automatically if I select the resolution 1920x1080, 120hz via Windows ?

So if I have 1920x1080, 144hz the tweak I made is not active ?

PLZ help me to understand what is happening. For now I only trust in the Chief Admin of Blurbusters, because he says we should make the "1350-Trick" and after that use his utility to get the best gaming result out of the BenQ XL2720z......also the screen should be brighter and that would be really nice, as this anti-blur-techniques make the screen really dim.

sry for so many questions, but I really like to make this work Smile

greetz revnu

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

04-27-2014, 08:44 AM
(04-26-2014 09:57 PM)revnu Wrote:  How can I now control if it worked ? Are there any values I can read somewhere, or any additional entries to check out?
Usually people use CRU to add new resolutions or refresh rates. If you're trying to replace an existing resolution, that makes it harder to check if it's working.

One way to know for sure is to disable the extension block and remove all the other resolutions. Then if only 120 Hz is available, it's using your settings for sure.

If you're using DVI, I know for sure it wasn't working before you patched the driver because of the 330 MHz pixel clock limit. If you're using DisplayPort, then you don't need the patch.

(04-26-2014 09:57 PM)revnu Wrote:  For now I did not totally understand what happens. There are values, that override the standards.....but are these values only active if I play games ?

Is this active automatically if I select the resolution 1920x1080, 120hz via Windows ?

So if I have 1920x1080, 144hz the tweak I made is not active ?
The graphics driver uses the monitor's EDID to determine what resolutions are available. CRU creates an EDID override to tell the graphics driver to use your settings instead, so the new values should be active everywhere. Each resolution has separate settings, so changing 120 Hz would not affect 144 Hz.

Your monitor defines 120 Hz and 144 Hz in the extension block, so if you disable the extension block and 144 Hz isn't available anymore, then it's definitely using your settings. You can add 144 Hz manually as a detailed resolution using the "LCD reduced" timing option.
04-27-2014, 11:36 AM
THX 4 your explaination. I now realized how it works and managed to make it work.

Itz really a difference like night & day. The games are much brighter [so bright that I had to make brightness lower Smile ]

before the "1350-Trick" the Blurbuster tool made, that there was no blurr but it was really dim.

greetz revnu
05-05-2014, 02:15 PM
Hello everybody!

I think anyone here would like to OVERclock its own monitor! Well, I'm trying to do so as well, but I also trying to UNDERclock it!

I'm a cinema addicted, trying to achieve fluid video motion on a PC-monitor and PC-projector based systems, so my limitations are the 60hz-59hz-50hz @1920x1080 for my monitor ViewSonic VG2427, and the 60hz-59hz-50hz @1280x720 (progressive) plus 30hz-29hz-25hz @1920x1080 (interlaced) for my projector Epson EMP-TW620.

I'm playing my movies with MPC-HC plus FFDSHOW (audio and video filters), ReClock (for changing audio-video speed according to the actual monitor vertical refresh rate) and MadVR renderer.

With this software I already obtained very high quality results with perfectly fluid motion, specially with projector at 25hz interlaced (INCREDIBLE cinema-like experience for a system that costs less than €1000)... BUT movies are playing at 25fps instead of the original 24fps (actually 23,976) speed. This is called PAL SpeedUp, required because movies at 24fps STUTTERING when played on monitors with vertical hz different than a multiple of the original fps. PAL SpeedUp results, yes, in a fluid motion, but also you have the movie playing around 4% faster (and audio tones sound higher).

So, I tryed the CRU utility for achieving 72hz or 48hz progressive, or 24hz interlaced on my projector, with theese results:

Monitor VG2427
- at 72hz (tried many adjustments) the image is flickering with digital noise fussing around the screen... unusable!
- at 48hz (precisely 47.985hz) seems more stable, so I'm pretty happy!

Projector EMP-TW620
- at 48hz (precisely 47.953hz, very close to 23.976) seems stable, BUT projection is scaled to 720p (and still stutters, don't know why...)
- at 24hz (with CRU setted to 1920x1080@48hz interlaced) it results on a hyper saturated image and refresh have horizontal frequence of vibrations that goes up... I tried many variables on refresh and manual rates, but the result is still very bad!

Can anyone help me with any suggestion, may be with CRU manual settings?

Thank you, and sorry for the long post!
Lorenzo
05-06-2014, 02:33 PM
(05-05-2014 02:15 PM)lureb74 Wrote:  So, I tryed the CRU utility for achieving 72hz or 48hz progressive, or 24hz interlaced on my projector, with theese results:

Monitor VG2427
- at 72hz (tried many adjustments) the image is flickering with digital noise fussing around the screen... unusable!
- at 48hz (precisely 47.985hz) seems more stable, so I'm pretty happy!

Projector EMP-TW620
- at 48hz (precisely 47.953hz, very close to 23.976) seems stable, BUT projection is scaled to 720p (and still stutters, don't know why...)
- at 24hz (with CRU setted to 1920x1080@48hz interlaced) it results on a hyper saturated image and refresh have horizontal frequence of vibrations that goes up... I tried many variables on refresh and manual rates, but the result is still very bad!

Can anyone help me with any suggestion, may be with CRU manual settings?
48 Hz might work with the 50 Hz timing parameters. Try "LCD standard" timing with 1920x1080 @ 50 Hz, then switch to "Manual" and change the refresh rate to 47.952 Hz. You can try interlaced with those settings as well.