Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
05-22-2014, 12:13 AM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(05-21-2014 12:49 AM)lawson67 Wrote:  Edit: I only want and need to run 110hz so i have written an 110hz.inf monitor driver file which seems the only reliable way of seeing anything other than 60hz for me right now!... If i use CRU right now it seems that i have a 90% change of windows never seeing anything other than 60hz ...I don't have a clue what is conflicting with my CRU overrides?... i has tried everything stopping all programs loading that i believe could be conflicting with my overrides and more like afterburner and HWiNFO and all my Epson printer software all to know avail?...Out of 10 reboots one might see my CRU EDID overrides the rest ignore them?.....However my 110hz monitor driver files seems to work flawlessly.
What happens if you export an .inf file using CRU and install it using the Device Manager?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-22-2014, 01:40 AM
(05-22-2014 12:13 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(05-21-2014 12:49 AM)lawson67 Wrote:  Edit: I only want and need to run 110hz so i have written an 110hz.inf monitor driver file which seems the only reliable way of seeing anything other than 60hz for me right now!... If i use CRU right now it seems that i have a 90% change of windows never seeing anything other than 60hz ...I don't have a clue what is conflicting with my CRU overrides?... i has tried everything stopping all programs loading that i believe could be conflicting with my overrides and more like afterburner and HWiNFO and all my Epson printer software all to know avail?...Out of 10 reboots one might see my CRU EDID overrides the rest ignore them?.....However my 110hz monitor driver files seems to work flawlessly.
What happens if you export an .inf file using CRU and install it using the Device Manager?

Ok i just tried that i created a 110hz resolution along with the 60hz standard resolution with CRU and saved it as an inf from CRU!...on the first re-boot windows could see them both 60hz and 110hz but on the second reboot windows could not see the 110hz again only the 60hz?....so It was back to only seeing 60hz again?....Would it be best to run the reset-all.exe and then install the inf in device manager?....Or use the inf along side the CRU overrides?...which is only working randomly right now...
05-22-2014, 03:26 AM
(05-22-2014 01:40 AM)lawson67 Wrote:  Ok i just tried that i created a 110hz resolution along with the 60hz standard resolution with CRU and saved it as an inf from CRU!...on the first re-boot windows could see them both 60hz and 110hz but on the second reboot windows could not see the 110hz again only the 60hz?....so It was back to only seeing 60hz again?....Would it be best to run the reset-all.exe and then install the inf in device manager?....Or use the inf along side the CRU overrides?...which is only working randomly right now...
I'm trying to figure out why your .inf file works for you while CRU does not. There should be no difference between using CRU and installing the .inf file. The override is installed in the same place. If you install the .inf file using the Device Manager, the resolutions in the override should show up in CRU.

Your .inf file has 2560x1440 @ 110 Hz as a detailed resolution, 1920x1080 @ 60 Hz as a standard resolution, and the extension block enabled. I want you to use the same settings with CRU to make sure the settings are not triggering the problem. Import your .inf file using CRU, then export an .inf file and install it using the Device Manager. If CRU's .inf doesn't work but yours does, then the override itself is not the problem. There might be another registry entry that needs to be added to work around the problem.
05-22-2014, 03:49 AM
(05-22-2014 03:26 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(05-22-2014 01:40 AM)lawson67 Wrote:  Ok i just tried that i created a 110hz resolution along with the 60hz standard resolution with CRU and saved it as an inf from CRU!...on the first re-boot windows could see them both 60hz and 110hz but on the second reboot windows could not see the 110hz again only the 60hz?....so It was back to only seeing 60hz again?....Would it be best to run the reset-all.exe and then install the inf in device manager?....Or use the inf along side the CRU overrides?...which is only working randomly right now...
I'm trying to figure out why your .inf file works for you while CRU does not. There should be no difference between using CRU and installing the .inf file. The override is installed in the same place. If you install the .inf file using the Device Manager, the resolutions in the override should show up in CRU.

Your .inf file has 2560x1440 @ 110 Hz as a detailed resolution, 1920x1080 @ 60 Hz as a standard resolution, and the extension block enabled. I want you to use the same settings with CRU to make sure the settings are not triggering the problem. Import your .inf file using CRU, then export an .inf file and install it using the Device Manager. If CRU's .inf doesn't work but yours does, then the override itself is not the problem. There might be another registry entry that needs to be added to work around the problem.

Ill try tomorrow toasty its 4.30am here UK time need sleep!....I am sure its that bloody Epson printer software that has mess things up!....However i have stopped all of that stuff loading at boot up so yeah i am lost....Also dont know why the other driver works i made that with monifo....Thinking about doing a roll back to before i installed that printer and see if windows has drivers for it instead...but i doubt windows has or it will work correctly as it does so much...scanner/ printer/fax / even makes you a cuppa tea i think!...its the Epson WF-3520...to tired to think right now....Thanks for your help so far toasty
05-22-2014, 08:04 AM (Last edited: 05-22-2014, 10:27 AM by drunkonredwine)
I have an LG L227WT 1680 x 1050 monitor.

Using CRU I have set the max refresh of my monitor which is 75Hz. Windows 8.1 was detecting it as 60Hz and showing it as a Generic PNP monitor in Device Manager.

To get this to work I had to place the detailed resolution entries under all monitor profiles not just the active.

75Hz seems to work however the screen has shifted about 8mm downwards, and therefore the taskbar at the bottom of the screen is cut-off and I have a black bar at the top. Horizontal looks to be correct.

The question is, is there a way to shift the image upwards without messing things up? The monitor buttons themselves do not allow me to move / change this, nor does AMD's Catalyst.

The program is great, I discovered it on a forum that identified this utility as useful for Titanfall. This game locks the FPS to your LCD refresh rate. Thus this utility comes in to its own.

Further info, (if it helps)

Monitor specs are as follows : -

Vertical frequency [Hz]: 56 - 75
Max. horizontal frequency/ video bandwidth [kHz/MHz]: 30 - 83

Using a AMD R9 270 with the latest Catalyst driver, 14.4, using DVI-D
05-23-2014, 05:25 AM
(05-22-2014 08:04 AM)drunkonredwine Wrote:  I have an LG L227WT 1680 x 1050 monitor.

Using CRU I have set the max refresh of my monitor which is 75Hz. Windows 8.1 was detecting it as 60Hz and showing it as a Generic PNP monitor in Device Manager.

To get this to work I had to place the detailed resolution entries under all monitor profiles not just the active.
Are you sure about that? The active one should be the correct one. AMD's driver has an issue with Windows 8.1 where EDID overrides don't always take effect, but restarting the driver should work around that.

(05-22-2014 08:04 AM)drunkonredwine Wrote:  75Hz seems to work however the screen has shifted about 8mm downwards, and therefore the taskbar at the bottom of the screen is cut-off and I have a black bar at the top. Horizontal looks to be correct.

The question is, is there a way to shift the image upwards without messing things up? The monitor buttons themselves do not allow me to move / change this, nor does AMD's Catalyst.
The image shouldn't be shifted unless the monitor can't handle the timing parameters or the refresh rate. What timing parameters have you tried? If "LCD standard" doesn't display properly at 75 Hz, then the vertical total might need to be adjusted.
05-23-2014, 09:18 AM (Last edited: 05-23-2014, 10:15 AM by drunkonredwine)
(05-23-2014 05:25 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(05-22-2014 08:04 AM)drunkonredwine Wrote:  I have an LG L227WT 1680 x 1050 monitor.

Are you sure about that? The active one should be the correct one. AMD's driver has an issue with Windows 8.1 where EDID overrides don't always take effect, but restarting the driver should work around that.

(05-22-2014 08:04 AM)drunkonredwine Wrote:  75Hz seems to work however the screen has shifted about 8mm downwards, and therefore the taskbar at the bottom of the screen is cut-off and I have a black bar at the top. Horizontal looks to be correct.

The image shouldn't be shifted unless the monitor can't handle the timing parameters or the refresh rate. What timing parameters have you tried? If "LCD standard" doesn't display properly at 75 Hz, then the vertical total might need to be adjusted.

Thank you for the reply ToastyX.

No I'm not sure. Just setting 'active' I couldn't get in to Windows, the monitor was blanking out. I ended up going into safemode from the command prompt using bcdedit. Then placed the entries under all monitors. Seemed to work! I could have done something else but I can't remember, I may have deleted the 60Hz refresh settings initially. That is more likely why Windows OS couldn't get a signal.

I have used Automatic - LCD Standard and set active Horizontal to 1680, Vertical to 1050 & Frequency Refresh to 75Hz.

I haven't used Manual as I'm unsure what Front Porch, Sync Width, Back Porch, Blanking, Total & Sync Polarity actually do. Should I change the Vertical Total to a higher or lower figure?

The image seems to be the right size just off vertical centre. The blank bar at the top is the size of the drop at the bottom.

72Hz and 74Hz exhibit the same issue, image is off the bottom by half a taskbar with the same displaced gap at the top, it's like the whole screen image has dropped whilst the screen size is correct!

Perhaps my monitor isn't capable of 75Hz @ 1680 ?
05-24-2014, 12:16 AM (Last edited: 05-24-2014, 01:27 AM by lawson67)
Hi Toasty my .INF File proved to be unreliable also!....Think i just had a few lucky random re-boots using my INF file where windows allowed me to see the overrides!...Then back to maybe a one in ten chance of seeing them again!.. So just to let you know i have found that the only reliable way to get windows 8.1 to see the my EDID overrides is to run restart64.exe at boot up via task scheduler with of course highest privileges set!...Not a pretty pretty sight or a nice clean boot up anymore with desktop icons being thrown all over the desktop as both my cards reloads the drivers but at its the only way for windows to reliably see them!...I can not help believe that its not a bug but more a conflict with something else as they do on occasions show up!...showing up randomly leads me to believe its its something else that is booting with windows.....yet i have stopped nearly everything from booting up and even set delays for all programs one by one via task scheduler....In fact i don't believe anyone could think of something i have not tried!...I have spent 4 days on it....and i admit defeat now!...Its icons being thrown over the desktop at bootup from now on and its not a pretty sight....

Edit: I have had to enable auto arrange on the desktop which i hate!.... And I have turned off windows Disconnect and Connect Wav sounds files!....I can kinda live with this solution better now lol
05-24-2014, 12:43 AM (Last edited: 05-24-2014, 01:25 AM by ShY)
Hello everyone!

I just recently purchased a Samsung 40 inch 120hz 3d TV. I assumed that I would have no problems getting 1920x1080p @ 60hz/120hz when connecting to my PC but boy was I wrong.

The TV I purchased is: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6889354275
And my GPU is an Asus R290x

I have used CRU to add 60hz and 120hz to the TV but I keep getting no signal messages. The only thing that works is 1920x1080p @ 30hz. I am connected to my PC via HDMI. I have also installed AMD pixel clock patcher. I don't know what I'm doing wrong please help!!

EDIT
After browsing the net a bit more I decided to try a different HDMI cable. Now I can get it running at 60hz!! The hdmi cable I replaced is a brand new 10ft hdmi cable since the ones I have on hand are all very short. Is this a common issue with long HDMI cables? I don't even tihnk its worth the money to RMA this cable but I do need a longer one...
05-28-2014, 09:19 AM
Today for no apparent reason 75Hz is displaying properly with no vertical shift downwards. It fixed itself ! Confirmed with Fraps that it is running 75Hz.