Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
03-27-2013, 08:10 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(03-16-2013 09:17 AM)Chrisoldinho Wrote:  I have 74Hz working on 3 IPS224V monitors using the settings posted above working perfectly at 1920x1080, using 3x DVI-D cables (2 connected through an active Mini DP cable), AMD 13.3 BETA 2.

H: 1920 32 40 48 120 2040 +
V: 1080 3 5 5 13 1093 -

The recommended settings for LCD worked for a day or so at 75 Hz but I was seeing random artifacts on screen, then all of a sudden the middle display just had vertical lines.

I also tried the manual settings below for 75Hz, it worked but one of the 3 monitors was slightly blurred and "wobbly".

Ideally I would like to take it higher, but clearly the display isn't capable / I don't know the right settings to use.

Chris.

75Hz now working using "best for LCD" settings, not sure why it suddenly works but I am not complaining Smile

Any more than 75 though and I get out of range so this would appear to be the limit on this display.

Regards,
Chris.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-27-2013, 11:13 PM
(09-07-2012 09:06 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  Single-link DVI and HDMI are limited to 165 MHz pixel clock unless the video driver is patched

Are you serious? I thought it was a limit the the cable itself, not a software one.
03-28-2013, 01:46 PM (Last edited: 03-28-2013, 01:47 PM by ancalimon)
It seems like after installing the monitor driver I created, whenever my monitor is "dimmed" (sleep mode?) after certain amount of time, moving mouse does not wake the screen. (the only way to wake the screen is to use crlt alt del). Or maybe it's not related at all and it's an issue with the beta ati driver I'm using or even maybe a Windows7 update. Is there any info in the monitor driver regarding this sleep mode?
03-29-2013, 01:24 PM
A monitor INF shouldn't cause issues with waking up from sleep. That sounds like a video driver problem, especially if you have to press Ctrl-Alt-Delete. AMD's driver had an issue with some cards not waking up from sleep properly in some cases, but I thought they fixed that recently.
03-29-2013, 04:49 PM (Last edited: 03-29-2013, 04:50 PM by deltatux)
Hi,

I'm not sure if this utility is working on Windows 8 or not, but it's not working with my Radeon HD 6870 running Catalyst 13.3 beta 3.

This is what I've got:
[Image: http://s23.postimg.org/818ca53a3/cru1.png]

I want to add 1920x1200 as shown above, my monitor's native resolution is 1680x1050.

Here's the detailed custom resolution input:
[Image: http://s23.postimg.org/3wkv4b5cr/cru2.png]

After I applied 1920x1200 in CRU, I rebooted the machine, but I still find that 1680x1050 is still the maximum resolution I can select in the Screen Resolution section in the Control Panel.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
deltatux
03-29-2013, 07:34 PM
Re: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
Is it even possible to set a resolution higher than the native resolution without using GPU scaling?!
03-29-2013, 08:14 PM
(03-29-2013 07:34 PM)Black Octagon Wrote:  Is it even possible to set a resolution higher than the native resolution without using GPU scaling?!

Are you suggesting that I should enable GPU scaling?

deltatux
03-30-2013, 07:20 AM
Re: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
Not exactly. I'm more wondering exactly what it is you're trying to do with CRU and whether it's even something that's possible
03-30-2013, 07:59 AM
It works with Windows 8, but a few people have reported AMD's driver not picking up changes for some reason.

First, make sure you're editing the right entry. Check the drop-down list to see if there's another entry for your monitor.

If not, check the device manager to see if it shows anything unusual for the monitor.

GPU scaling won't affect higher than native resolutions, but toggling it might make the driver reload the monitor configuration.

If that doesn't help, try uninstalling and reinstalling the video driver.
03-30-2013, 06:16 PM
(03-27-2013 11:13 PM)MS-DOS Wrote:  
(09-07-2012 09:06 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  Single-link DVI and HDMI are limited to 165 MHz pixel clock unless the video driver is patched

Are you serious? I thought it was a limit the the cable itself, not a software one.
The cable is just a data transfer medium. It can't impose a limit, although after a certain point, the signal will degrade. I've found most cables and video cards can handle at least 225 MHz per link.

The DVI spec says anything over 165 MHz must run in dual-link mode. This can be implemented in hardware or in software. In the case of video cards, I've found it's implemented in the driver.

In the case of monitors, single-link DVI monitors (1920x1200 and under) and HDMI ports always run in single-link mode, so dual-link signals will not work properly. They don't have the hardware to handle dual-link signals, but they can often handle single-link signals above 165 MHz.

I haven't found any monitor that needs dual-link mode under 235 MHz for the native resolution, so it's safe to raise this limit even on dual-link DVI ports. It also doesn't make sense to impose this limit on single-link DVI or HDMI ports since they can't run in dual-link mode anyway. The patches raise the limit in both cases.