Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
12-23-2014, 05:25 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(12-23-2014 03:10 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(12-23-2014 06:20 AM)neoxatax Wrote:  Hi All! Just got an LG UHDTV with only HDMI 2.0 inputs and a AMD Sapphire HD 6950. Using ToastyX tools (thank you so much!) I've managed 2160p at 30Hz through HDMI. Now I know I cannot get any higher in Hz because of the 300MHz limit in HDMI, but which other cable option would be my best bet to achieve 45Hz? 60Hz? Dual DVI to HDMI? Mini Displayport to HDMI? My 6950 has 1 D-DVI, 1 S-DVI, 1 HDMI, 2 Minidisplayports. Any info would be great!
Only HDMI 2.0 and DisplayPort can handle 3840x2160 @ 45-60 Hz. You won't be able to get 45-60 Hz with an adapter.

I have achieved 4K at 60Hz with the LG TV, using a HDMI to HDMI cable on a Macbook Pro Retina with a Nvidia 750M in Windows 8 on Bootcamp. So it is possible to pump 60Hz through HDMI 1.4 (the Macbook is not 2.0).
If a 750M can output 4K60Hz through HDMI and this guy has achieved 4K at 45Hz on two displays using your tools with a 6990, the question is, would a Minidisplayport to HDMI cable achieve anything higher than 30Hz on a 6950? It has 2 Displayport outputs but my LG only HDMI 2.0 inputs. Would a 6950x2 in Crossfire improve the refresh rate? How do think that guy on the other forum achieved 45Hz, via Displayport to Displayport?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-24-2014, 01:38 PM
(12-23-2014 05:25 PM)neoxatax Wrote:  I have achieved 4K at 60Hz with the LG TV, using a HDMI to HDMI cable on a Macbook Pro Retina with a Nvidia 750M in Windows 8 on Bootcamp. So it is possible to pump 60Hz through HDMI 1.4 (the Macbook is not 2.0).
In that case, the hardware is capable of handling higher pixel clocks and might be 2.0-capable even though it's only rated for 1.4.

As far as I have seen, 6000-series and 7000-series cards can't handle higher pixel clocks with HDMI. I don't know about the R9 290-series cards, but the driver doesn't currently allow it. That may change with future driver or firmware updates.

(12-23-2014 05:25 PM)neoxatax Wrote:  If a 750M can output 4K60Hz through HDMI and this guy has achieved 4K at 45Hz on two displays using your tools with a 6990, the question is, would a Minidisplayport to HDMI cable achieve anything higher than 30Hz on a 6950? It has 2 Displayport outputs but my LG only HDMI 2.0 inputs.
An adapter is not going to work unless you can find an active DisplayPort to HDMI 2.0 adapter, which doesn't currently exist as far as I know. There aren't even any adapters that can handle the full 340 MHz bandwidth for HDMI 1.4, and most can't even handle more than 225 MHz.

(12-23-2014 05:25 PM)neoxatax Wrote:  Would a 6950x2 in Crossfire improve the refresh rate? How do think that guy on the other forum achieved 45Hz, via Displayport to Displayport?
He doesn't say whether he's using HDMI or DisplayPort, but it's not currently possible to add 3840x2160 @ 45 Hz when using HDMI with a 6990, and he says he's using two monitors while the 6990 only has one HDMI port, so he has to be using DisplayPort.

CrossFire will not improve the refresh rate and may even cause additional problems with games at higher pixel clocks because CrossFire has its own limitations.
12-29-2014, 10:16 AM (Last edited: 12-29-2014, 10:24 AM by wazer)
Hello i came here to ask where I'm doing wrong.

I recently Purchased the BenQ XL2720Z monitor.

I'm following this guide

http://www.blurbusters.com/benq/strobe-utility/

I put on blur reduction from benq menu, i use this utility CRU and setup resolution to this setttings

Create a new Custom Resolution of 1920×1080 at 120Hz (or refresh rate below 120Hz)
Change Timing to “Manual”
Change Vertical Total to “1350

I also set IMPORTANT: If using ToastyX, set Horizontal “Total” to 2080. else screen looks like it got too much overclock after reboot

[Image: OkT7gSe.png]

Reboot and when i come in its totally dark, i cannot see a thing, i need to either use my extreme flash light aiming from top and down to see just a tiny pixels so i can enter the benq menu and turn off blur reduction or just guess the benq menu and turn it off oO, as soon as i turn it on again, same results, instant dimmed down to like 1% vision.

What am i missing here? Thanks Smile

If it helps anything here's my service menu settings and firmware?

[Image: NzpwsRQ.png]
12-29-2014, 02:01 PM
(12-29-2014 10:16 AM)wazer Wrote:  Hello i came here to ask where I'm doing wrong.

I'm following this guide

I put on blur reduction from benq menu, i use this utility CRU and setup resolution to this setttings

Create a new Custom Resolution of 1920×1080 at 120Hz (or refresh rate below 120Hz)

I also set IMPORTANT: If using ToastyX, set Horizontal “Total” to 2080. else screen looks like it got too much overclock after reboot

[img]

Reboot and when i come in its totally dark, i cannot see a thing, i need to either use my extreme flash light aiming from top and down to see just a tiny pixels so i can enter the benq menu and turn off blur reduction or just guess the benq menu and turn it off oO, as soon as i turn it on again, same results, instant dimmed down to like 1% vision.

First, did you use the pixel clock patch? The pixel clock can't exceed 330 MHz without the patch.

Second, you should set the horizontal front porch to 48 and horizontal sync width to 32 as shown in the screen shot.

If that doesn't help, there might be a problem with the monitor.
12-29-2014, 03:14 PM
(12-29-2014 02:01 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(12-29-2014 10:16 AM)wazer Wrote:  Hello i came here to ask where I'm doing wrong.

I'm following this guide

[img]

First, did you use the pixel clock patch? The pixel clock can't exceed 330 MHz without the patch.

Second, you should set the horizontal front porch to 48 and horizontal sync width to 32 as shown in the screen shot.

If that doesn't help, there might be a problem with the monitor.

Hello i did not patch, i did that now, and i also followed picture 100% now but still same issue.. By any chance you can make the file so i can just import it and see if its working?
12-30-2014, 04:50 AM
I recently reformated my computer and therefore lost my Tempest X270OC Manual timings. Nevertheless, I took a screenshot of ToastyX's CRU settings I had taken from BlackOctagon's video.. I seem to recall that my Windows resolution was also set at 120Hz and my nVidia Control Panel is also was also set at 120Hz, but I have no proof of that.

As of now, I import the correct timings from my screenshot, it works after the restart, no screen flicker or anything...

However, when I start a game with the Windows refresh rate set at 120Hz, I get bad black flicker all over my monitor... When I leave the Windows refresh rate at 60Hz, I don't get flicker.

Does CRU completely override the Windows AND nVidia Control Panel settings? Meaning, if I have a custom resolution up and running for my Tempest X270OC in CRU BUT leave the Windows and control panel refresh rate at 60Hz, is the 120Hz from CRU properly activated for games and whatnot?

EDIT: I am running two EVGA GTX 780 in SLI, and yes I have run the pixel clock limit remover. I am also running Windows 7 ultimate 64bit.

See imgur for complete settings: http://i.imgur.com/M1VRLXy.jpg
12-30-2014, 05:41 AM
(12-29-2014 03:14 PM)wazer Wrote:  Hello i did not patch, i did that now, and i also followed picture 100% now but still same issue.. By any chance you can make the file so i can just import it and see if its working?
If you didn't patch the driver, then the new settings weren't taking effect, so you shouldn't have seen any difference.

https://www.monitortests.com/1350.dat

If that doesn't work, then there's a problem with the monitor, especially since you said you could see the image with a flashlight. That would indicate a backlight issue. I don't know if there's something different about the V3 firmware or if your monitor is defective.
12-30-2014, 05:42 AM
(12-30-2014 04:50 AM)Windoge Wrote:  Does CRU completely override the Windows AND nVidia Control Panel settings? Meaning, if I have a custom resolution up and running for my Tempest X270OC in CRU BUT leave the Windows and control panel refresh rate at 60Hz, is the 120Hz from CRU properly activated for games and whatnot?
CRU only defines what resolutions and refresh rates are available. It doesn't set the refresh rate. You have to set the refresh rate in the Windows screen resolution settings or the NVIDIA control panel or in the game if it has the option.

(12-30-2014 04:50 AM)Windoge Wrote:  EDIT: I am running two EVGA GTX 780 in SLI, and yes I have run the pixel clock limit remover. I am also running Windows 7 ultimate 64bit.

The screen shot shows you didn't follow the workaround for NVIDIA. The settings in CRU aren't even taking effect, so I don't know why you're getting black flicker. The screen shot also shows a separate custom resolution defined in the NVIDIA control panel, which has nothing to do with CRU.
12-30-2014, 11:49 AM
(12-30-2014 05:41 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(12-29-2014 03:14 PM)wazer Wrote:  Hello i did not patch, i did that now, and i also followed picture 100% now but still same issue.. By any chance you can make the file so i can just import it and see if its working?
If you didn't patch the driver, then the new settings weren't taking effect, so you shouldn't have seen any difference.

https://www.monitortests.com/1350.dat

If that doesn't work, then there's a problem with the monitor, especially since you said you could see the image with a flashlight. That would indicate a backlight issue. I don't know if there's something different about the V3 firmware or if your monitor is defective.

Thanks got it working now, so now to the important part. What should the settings be on for the strobe utility from blurbusters be on to gain best settings? if i pick 0.5 in clearer motion the screen becomes really dark. and i assume that cross talk should be earlier strobes? Thanks for spending time with me :=) i really do appreciate that.
12-31-2014, 05:32 AM (Last edited: 12-31-2014, 05:41 AM by Windoge)
(12-30-2014 05:42 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(12-30-2014 04:50 AM)Windoge Wrote:  Does CRU completely override the Windows AND nVidia Control Panel settings? Meaning, if I have a custom resolution up and running for my Tempest X270OC in CRU BUT leave the Windows and control panel refresh rate at 60Hz, is the 120Hz from CRU properly activated for games and whatnot?
CRU only defines what resolutions and refresh rates are available. It doesn't set the refresh rate. You have to set the refresh rate in the Windows screen resolution settings or the NVIDIA control panel or in the game if it has the option.

(12-30-2014 04:50 AM)Windoge Wrote:  EDIT: I am running two EVGA GTX 780 in SLI, and yes I have run the pixel clock limit remover. I am also running Windows 7 ultimate 64bit.

The screen shot shows you didn't follow the workaround for NVIDIA. The settings in CRU aren't even taking effect, so I don't know why you're getting black flicker. The screen shot also shows a separate custom resolution defined in the NVIDIA control panel, which has nothing to do with CRU.

I did follow the workaround. My screenshot shows my current settings so far. Got the right timings and CRU and everything. My point was, when I TURN ON the 120Hz in Windows Resolution and actually START a game, it has uncontrollable flicker. Same goes for when I turn on the 120Hz in the nVidia Control Panel and then start a game, same scenario. Black flicker.

http://imgur.com/AVhT7Jz

My Windows resolution doesn't even SHOW 120Hz as a valid option anymore
Deleted the Custom Resolution in the nVidia Control Panel, native resolution doesn't allow me to pick 120Hz anymore either.