Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
06-15-2015, 10:28 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(06-14-2015 09:24 PM)JelleDRC Wrote:  Hi everyone!

I found this program a few hours ago and I've been trying to overclock one of my two monitors. I have two LG 24EN33's. I managed to get up to 75Hz but I can't get any higher... I get this message: "Out of range 85Khz/76Hz" (or something similar)
I have an Nvidia GTX 970 and the latest version of the Nvidia driver installed.

Any help is appreciated!
I don't see anything unusual. Most monitors will not accept more than 75-77 Hz. Some monitors will accept more with certain timing parameters, but that depends on the monitor.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-16-2015, 06:47 AM (Last edited: 06-16-2015, 04:28 PM by RecklesssReindeer)
Toasty, your my last chance at this.
I bought a qnix hoping to get 96hz... ive spent the past 4ish hours trying to overclock the damned thing.
I own a laptop with a nvidia gefore gtx 980M in it and i have the monitor hooked up with a display to mini display port. All appears well and dandy, i patched the drivers for kicks and giggles, i updated my qnix drivers on windows 8.1 by using the work around, and still... CRU just doesnt add any custom refresh rates. I made sure to uninstall geforce experience at one point to see if that was the issue. However i did not uninstall ALL nvidia drivers and such, i did uninstall "geforce experience" in device manager.
I also made sure to set it to "custom extension block" even though i have no idea what that is, i added two of the custom settings i wanted inside the setting block area.. i didnt know what to do about the 2 byte situation.... but no matter what i try, whenever i go into "resolutions>advanced settings>monitors>refresh rates" (after restart64) still, there is only 59 and 60.
Im not sure if the fact im running dual monitors would cause any issues? i made sure that i applied the settings to the right monitor and made sure i was selecting the right monitor to change the refresh rate on.

On top of this, apparently i dont get to use nvidia control panel due to the fact i have a mobile GPU, so i cant do it that way... (basically since my gpu has an integrated gpu and an nvidia, it uses something called "optimus" and all my settings for my display are under intel HD control panel, but i cant appear to add custom refresh rates to intel's control panel... so it APPEARS that nvidia control panel is out the window as an option (when i open it up, there is only three tabs on the left, including 3d settings).
Well, anyways, thank you so much for your hard work and dedication, i appreciate any response.

Edit: so i kept hunting around to see if there was a way to do it in intel's control panel and i found an area to add a custom resolution and refresh rate. i was able to add one for 45hz, but not anything above like 50 because it "exceeds maximum bandwidth".. which makes no sense because i know im running 60hz....
heres where i think the issue lies: my default GPU is integrated (i changed this and still saw the same errors), so maybe it doesnt have the ability to push these frames off my integrated GPU and it doesnt make the jump to my Nvidia gpu for some stupid ass reason?
sorry for my language, im just really frustrated at this point. its 3:30AM, im going to wake up tomorrow and check to see if anyone can help.. thanks so much to anyone who tries.

edit2: Using PowerStrip, some random program i found online that will also let you modify your resolutions and refresh rates, i SOMEHOW managed to add "112" to the list of refresh rates i can select from (this is especially weird since i tried to add multiple different rates, none of them were 112 and it only added 112), but when i ran it, i was getting a perfect refresh skip of like 50%.. when i had the refresh skip checker open on full screen, it said i had 56hz, exactly half of what i should have had. when i minimized the window, it said 112, but keep in mind this was with half of the blocks being skipped (50% refresh skip).
All of this was until i realized, sadly, i had bought a display port to mini display port that supported 1440p at 60hz and like a 224 maximum bandwidth.
I have an adapter and a normal display cord on the way, Toasty, sorry for so long of a message, but do you mind looking at my cords and telling me if you think they will work? it says "4k ready" for both of them, but i dont see anything about bandwidth or refresh rates.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005H3Q59U/?tag=mtests-20#ad
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HNF0KF0/?tag=mtests-20#ad

also, it appears when i try 112 at 1080p (still too high of a bandwidth) that it is still skipping LOTS of frames. Does this make sense to you?
Is there any reason CRU is not adding custom resolutions for me?
Thanks, Toasty!!
06-16-2015, 05:46 PM
Hi all,

I hust got a GTX 970 and it's connected through HMDI to my BENQ GW2760HS. Before I was able to get the monitor to run at 72Hz using the iGPU, Intel HD 4440 graphics, but since using the 970 I am getting artifacting. The highest stable refresh ratre is 65HZ. Please help.

Thanks.
06-16-2015, 06:45 PM
(06-16-2015 06:47 AM)RecklesssReindeer Wrote:  Is there any reason CRU is not adding custom resolutions for me?

Your system doesn't meet the requirements:
(09-07-2012 09:06 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  Requirements:
  • Windows Vista or later
  • AMD/ATI or NVIDIA GPU
    • Intel's graphics driver does not support EDID overrides
    • Laptops with switchable graphics are not supported

Laptops with switchable graphics will not work with CRU. The problem is the resolutions are handled by the Intel GPU, but Intel's driver doesn't support EDID overrides. NVIDIA's control panel doesn't have a way to add custom resolutions with switchable graphics either. You'll have to use Intel's custom resolution options, but there's no driver patch for Intel to get around bandwidth limitations.

Bandwidth is limited by the driver and the hardware, not the cable. If the cable couldn't handle the bandwidth, you'd still be able to set the resolution, but you won't get a usable picture. It will not skip frames because of the cable.

You also mentioned DisplayPort, but only the QNIX with dual-link DVI is overclockable. Other models skip frames at higher refresh rates.
06-16-2015, 06:53 PM
(06-16-2015 05:46 PM)mstrmind5 Wrote:  I hust got a GTX 970 and it's connected through HMDI to my BENQ GW2760HS. Before I was able to get the monitor to run at 72Hz using the iGPU, Intel HD 4440 graphics, but since using the 970 I am getting artifacting. The highest stable refresh ratre is 65HZ. Please help.
What timing parameters did you use with the Intel GPU? The same timing parameters should work with the GTX 970. If not, the monitor might only be able to handle 72 Hz with an HDMI signal. Try adding an HDMI support data block in the custom extension block with the default options. If that doesn't help, try the "LCD standard" and "LCD reduced" timing options.
06-16-2015, 08:18 PM (Last edited: 06-16-2015, 09:18 PM by RecklesssReindeer)
(06-16-2015 06:45 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(06-16-2015 06:47 AM)RecklesssReindeer Wrote:  Is there any reason CRU is not adding custom resolutions for me?

Your system doesn't meet the requirements:
(09-07-2012 09:06 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  Requirements:
  • Windows Vista or later
  • AMD/ATI or NVIDIA GPU
    • Intel's graphics driver does not support EDID overrides
    • Laptops with switchable graphics are not supported

Laptops with switchable graphics will not work with CRU. The problem is the resolutions are handled by the Intel GPU, but Intel's driver doesn't support EDID overrides. NVIDIA's control panel doesn't have a way to add custom resolutions with switchable graphics either. You'll have to use Intel's custom resolution options, but there's no driver patch for Intel to get around bandwidth limitations.

Bandwidth is limited by the driver and the hardware, not the cable. If the cable couldn't handle the bandwidth, you'd still be able to set the resolution, but you won't get a usable picture. It will not skip frames because of the cable.

You also mentioned DisplayPort, but only the QNIX with dual-link DVI is overclockable. Other models skip frames at higher refresh rates.

ah, i see. so seriously, there is no way for me to do this? :/
I must mention that my friend has the same monitor as me and has 120hz set on it. I think some of these newer models work, they are advertised as overclockable at least.
You really think it wont skip frames due to the cable? How is it possible that i can set the refresh rate to 112 and have it skip frames then? Wouldnt i get this unusable picture as you pointed out?

So essentially, i would be able to do it, but the driver doesnt allow me to go past a certain bandwidth, so im screwed? :/

edit: this link talks about how to hack the INF file... any thoughts?
https://software.intel.com/en-us/article...l-graphics
06-17-2015, 04:26 AM
(06-16-2015 08:18 PM)RecklesssReindeer Wrote:  ah, i see. so seriously, there is no way for me to do this? :/
I must mention that my friend has the same monitor as me and has 120hz set on it. I think some of these newer models work, they are advertised as overclockable at least.
You really think it wont skip frames due to the cable? How is it possible that i can set the refresh rate to 112 and have it skip frames then? Wouldnt i get this unusable picture as you pointed out?
What model do you have? If it has an OSD and multiple inputs, then it can't handle higher refresh rates without skipping frames. The cable wouldn't cause frame skipping. The frame skipping is happening in the monitor. If you actually did manage to set 112 Hz, then it's sending 112 Hz to the monitor. If the cable couldn't handle that, you wouldn't get a usable picture.

(06-16-2015 08:18 PM)RecklesssReindeer Wrote:  So essentially, i would be able to do it, but the driver doesnt allow me to go past a certain bandwidth, so im screwed? :/
That's basically the situation with Intel at the moment. I don't know if the INF DTD method can bypass driver restrictions.
06-17-2015, 07:37 PM (Last edited: 06-17-2015, 07:39 PM by RecklesssReindeer)
(06-17-2015 04:26 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(06-16-2015 08:18 PM)RecklesssReindeer Wrote:  ah, i see. so seriously, there is no way for me to do this? :/
What model do you have? If it has an OSD and multiple inputs, then it can't handle higher refresh rates without skipping frames. The cable wouldn't cause frame skipping. The frame skipping is happening in the monitor. If you actually did manage to set 112 Hz, then it's sending 112 Hz to the monitor. If the cable couldn't handle that, you wouldn't get a usable picture.

(06-16-2015 08:18 PM)RecklesssReindeer Wrote:  So essentially, i would be able to do it, but the driver doesnt allow me to go past a certain bandwidth, so im screwed? :/

That's basically the situation with Intel at the moment. I don't know if the INF DTD method can bypass driver restrictions.

this is the one that i bought: http://www.ebay.com/itm/141481152682?_tr...EBIDX%3AIT
and i must say, he is apparently successfully overclocking it.

God damnit it i really hate this bad news. I wish i would have known. still a nice monitor, but i was really hoping for 96hz... ugh. i feel like there has to be a way.
I still dont understand. why i am i able to pick 112hz as a refresh rate in windows display settings? Its strange because when i do the frame rate tester on 112 fullscreen, it says 56hz.. when i minimize it, im getting 112 but it skips every other frame.
06-18-2015, 04:28 PM (Last edited: 06-18-2015, 07:05 PM by agggile)
I've come across a problem after an attempt to create a profile using CRU on my old computer.
It's running a GT520 and the monitor is Dell E248WFP.

After an unsuccessful attempt, I decided to run reset-all to go back to where I was.
Now, for some reason I can't run Windows without safe mode or the monitor enters sleep immediately.
CRU is reporting "No displays in the registry". Same for reset all.

I've tried re-enabing the GT, updating drivers and re-installing drivers.

What could be wrong?

edit: I've now tried to use multiple displays, always ending up with the same result (sleep). Tested both DVI and VGA.

edit 2: I've now run a System Restore with no avail. It's getting spooky now.

edit 3: After some fiddling, I finally got out of the Safe Mode dependency by disabling the GT. I tried this before and it didn't work, but for some reason it works now. Going to attempt a fresh driver install once again now that I'm out of Safe Mode, which shouldn't even make a difference, but right now nothing makes sense.

edit 4: After a clean driver install (had not selected this option before) in normal mode, I -still- end up with the monitor entering power saving mode after the windows logo from startup has vanished. Using a display that supports 75hz at native resolution, and if I remember correct, the change I made with CRU was 1920x1080 @ 59.994 -> 1920x1080 @ 60. I did this so I could simply test how the program works, I hadn't used it before. Yet, I don't understand how the CRU-made modifications could still be in play since I've done just about everything that has to do with the card/display.
06-18-2015, 10:29 PM
(06-18-2015 04:28 PM)agggile Wrote:  edit 4: After a clean driver install (had not selected this option before) in normal mode, I -still- end up with the monitor entering power saving mode after the windows logo from startup has vanished. Using a display that supports 75hz at native resolution, and if I remember correct, the change I made with CRU was 1920x1080 @ 59.994 -> 1920x1080 @ 60. I did this so I could simply test how the program works, I hadn't used it before. Yet, I don't understand how the CRU-made modifications could still be in play since I've done just about everything that has to do with the card/display.
I don't understand how that could happen either. CRU only adds EDID overrides, and running reset-all.exe removes all EDID overrides and resets the Windows screen resolution settings.

Running DDU will completely uninstall the video card driver: http://www.wagnardmobile.com/DDU/ddudownload.htm

If you can't get it working after that, then I have no idea.