Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
07-07-2015, 07:02 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(07-07-2015 02:02 AM)nycplayboy78 Wrote:  I am currently running dual ASUS PB287Q 4K monitors (3840x2160 @ 60Hz) via DisplayPort connection to a single Nvidia GTX 980. Can I drive my monitors above 60Hz to 120Hz+?
Only if the monitor supports 120 Hz.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-07-2015, 08:00 PM
The laptop that I have uses an LG LP173WF4-SPD1 which uses eDP.

Other variant of my laptop like the ASUS G751JY uses the exact same display with the exact same connector and people were able to overclock the LCD easily to 100Hz without any issues.

My main rig uses a BenQ XL2420Z with is a 1080p 144Hz monitor and going back to 60Hz is very distracting to me.

The problem with my laptop is it uses NVIDIA Optimus which relies on the Intel Graphics to change setting like custom resolution.

I tried overclocking the laptop LCD through Intel Custom Resolution but even at just 65Hz it would say it exceeds the maximum bandwidth capacity.

Other people with default high resolution (3200x1800) have the same issue when they try to create a custom resolution even with lower resolution than their panel HERE.

I tried googling a pixel clock patcher for Intel Graphics but to my dismay the only available pixel patcher is for MAC HERE and HERE.

Is there a similar program for windows to remove the pixel clock limitation for Intel Graphics?
07-07-2015, 08:34 PM
sorry you might have already answered. where do I find the HDMI dat file to import. I cant get any sound after I change refresh rate to 75hz. I have to delete the custom ratios for it to work again. I read you said to import hdmi dat file but where from?
07-07-2015, 08:36 PM
(07-07-2015 02:02 AM)nycplayboy78 Wrote:  TOASTY!!!!

I am currently running dual ASUS PB287Q 4K monitors (3840x2160 @ 60Hz) via DisplayPort connection to a single Nvidia GTX 980. Can I drive my monitors above 60Hz to 120Hz+? I am running Windows 8.1 64-bit Professional

I own an ASUS PB287Q monitor and it is impossible to run it properly on any refresh rate besides 60hz. 24hz, 50hz, even the maximum 75hz, no matter what you try, you'll end up with motion judder because the display telecines it to 60hz. I sent it in for RMA and I got back a monitor which still had the same issue of forced 60hz. Was very appalled in the end.
07-08-2015, 12:49 AM (Last edited: 07-08-2015, 12:57 AM by rancur3p1c)
I'm overclocking the QX320QHD that just came in and I can definitely say everything after 75hz (and it does OC to 87hz) adds horizontal lines to the display. However, it's really hard to tell whether they're at the top of pixel or the bottom of one. Maybe I can get a magnifying glass.

I don't have photos of that, but here's an Imgur album of framerate test photos taken at 87hz.
What's with the double-lit squares? Same frame being displayed again? Highest I've tested so far without this problem is 75hz. BTW, on Windows 7 there is a bug in Chromium that's been closed/won't fix about how it only renders at 60fps, even the desktop refresh rate is higher. Not sure why it does this, but for now the best testing I've been able to pull off was with IE11, all programs closed, CPU clocked to the max at 4.3ghz with Cool-n-Quiet disabled

here's another album of tests at 75hz. At 75hz, no double-rendered frames, and no horizontal lines running across the display at each pixel.

Regarding the horizontal lines, is there any porch or width I could tweak to handle this? What is going on to cause this? I guess I'll go read about DVI protocol and see if I can't intuit what's going wrong. It seems like every 3-4 horizontal rows of pixels there's a 4th or 5th that's lighter/whiter on a light grey background (like Chrome browser menus).

Here are my settings:

[Image: hfIdvOv.png]

(12-10-2014 09:02 PM)_alkaline Wrote:  
(12-10-2014 08:08 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(12-10-2014 06:40 PM)_alkaline Wrote:  Hey, I just got a QX320QHD. It isn't overclocking, and people at overclock.net and the manufacturer have suggested it should.

Anyway, I got my new QX320QHD, I plugged it in, great monitor, very nice colors. I connected it with the dual link DVI that came in the box. The whole reason I got it was so I could overclock it, as per the widely circulated screenshot on Amazon here (bottom photo on the left sidebar): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KVZMUYI/?tag=mtests-20#ad

I actually got the monitor here because lower price, I am 99% sure there's no difference as they are the exact same model: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O0UTCPA/?tag=mtests-20#ad

I got the monitor, loaded up CRU, added custom resolutions, the first with 85 hz 1440p and the second with 720p 100hz (to see if lowering resolution would allow higher refresh). I also removed the pixel clock that's in the AMD drivers. I rebooted, changed the refresh rate in AMD Catalyst Control... and black screen on 1440p 85hz!
If 85 Hz is listed and you're able to set it, then it's working properly and your particular monitor can't handle it for some reason.

(12-10-2014 06:40 PM)_alkaline Wrote:  I then tried 720p 100hz, and this is what's really strange. It worked. No visible frame skipping, so I loaded up the Test UFO frame skipping [http://www.testufo.com/#test=frameskipping], but it identifies my frame rate & refresh rate as 60hz! I tried a bunch of different resolutions in CRU, including 1440p 65 hz and 720p 65 hz, but every time it still says 60 frame rate and 60 hz refresh. I can provide screenshots tomorrow if necessary.

I have a prebuilt with a i7 4790 and R9 270, and my OS is Win 7 Home Prem. Those shouldn't be the issue unless I'm completely off.

Thanks so much for the help in advance! I really appreciate it!

Edit: screenshot of amd catalyst control saying 75hz while testufo says 60hz.
Make sure you're using one of the Aero themes. The UFO test requires desktop composition to work properly, but your screen shot shows you're using the Basic theme, which disables desktop composition.

That would make a lot of sense. I'll test it with Aero this evening when I have a chance. Thanks ToastyX!!

see this: https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issue...?id=431487

it's closed as won't fix.

there's also this, which I haven't read, and probably won't. For now, I use IE11

https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issue...?id=437172
07-08-2015, 03:16 AM
(07-07-2015 08:34 PM)mykeel Wrote:  sorry you might have already answered. where do I find the HDMI dat file to import. I cant get any sound after I change refresh rate to 75hz. I have to delete the custom ratios for it to work again. I read you said to import hdmi dat file but where from?

I'm about to trade this r9 280 in and get a gtx 960. Nvisia has no problems using my tv max settings. I had a gtx 570 and could use 120 hz setting thru windows no problem
07-08-2015, 11:56 AM
(07-07-2015 08:34 PM)mykeel Wrote:  sorry you might have already answered. where do I find the HDMI dat file to import. I cant get any sound after I change refresh rate to 75hz. I have to delete the custom ratios for it to work again. I read you said to import hdmi dat file but where from?

It's in the main post:
(09-07-2012 09:06 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
  • Some monitor/GPU combinations can bypass the 165 MHz HDMI limit without patching the driver by importing one of these extension block files:

(07-08-2015 03:16 AM)mykeel Wrote:  I'm about to trade this r9 280 in and get a gtx 960. Nvisia has no problems using my tv max settings. I had a gtx 570 and could use 120 hz setting thru windows no problem
You didn't say anything about 120 Hz. There shouldn't be a difference with the R9 280. The same resolutions should work on both.
07-08-2015, 12:09 PM
(07-08-2015 12:49 AM)rancur3p1c Wrote:  here's an Imgur album of framerate test photos taken at 87hz.
What's with the double-lit squares? Same frame being displayed again?
That's what it looks like, but that normally only happens with lower refresh rates. That shouldn't happen with higher refresh rates unless the panel is refreshing slightly faster than the actual refresh rate.

(07-08-2015 12:49 AM)rancur3p1c Wrote:  BTW, on Windows 7 there is a bug in Chromium that's been closed/won't fix about how it only renders at 60fps, even the desktop refresh rate is higher.
I'm not seeing this issue with Chrome on Windows 7. I've only seen it render at 60 FPS if desktop composition or hardware acceleration is disabled or if the graphics driver is restarted while Chrome is still running.

(07-08-2015 12:49 AM)rancur3p1c Wrote:  Regarding the horizontal lines, is there any porch or width I could tweak to handle this? What is going on to cause this? I guess I'll go read about DVI protocol and see if I can't intuit what's going wrong. It seems like every 3-4 horizontal rows of pixels there's a 4th or 5th that's lighter/whiter on a light grey background (like Chrome browser menus).
That seems more like a panel or hardware limitation in the monitor, not an issue with the timing parameters. You can try other timing parameters like "LCD standard" at 2560x1440 @ 85 Hz, but that probably won't make a difference.

(07-08-2015 12:49 AM)rancur3p1c Wrote:  here's another album of tests at 75hz. At 75hz, no double-rendered frames, and no horizontal lines running across the display at each pixel.
It looks like the monitor can only handle up to 75 Hz properly.
07-08-2015, 04:51 PM
thanx a lot toastyx. the hdmi bitstream daa\t file is what I needed. much appreciated
07-08-2015, 08:28 PM
well I spoke too soon.i can get the tv to 120hz but even though the green level light displays that sound is comin through, get no sound from speakers. ive tried all the hdmi dat files to no avail. why must amd be so complicated]