Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
07-29-2015, 09:34 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
After an hour's "monkey and typewriter" session, I'm still none the wiser! Angry ToastyX has verified it may indeed be possible to get a dual link DVI monitor running on a single link DVI card via custom settings.
See my original post: Hazro monitor

Could some kind soul suggest ballpark starter settings to make my monitor display something other than a little backlighting. I figured just dropping from 60Hz to a 30Hz refresh rate at 2560 x 1440 would get the magic started but it is not happening for me. I have GPU scaling turned on and the driver is patched but as to what other numbers I should to put in to my Detailed Resolution edit, I have no idea.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-30-2015, 04:10 AM
(07-28-2015 03:34 PM)Haemato Wrote:  I'd been using a custom .inf EDID that I created myself for use with 3 Optoma GT720 projectors. Using the EDID allowed me to run 3840x800@120Hz with my R9 290 Crossfire setup. I just tried upgrading to a GTX 980ti though and couldn't use my EDID solution in Surround. In fact, with nvidia Surround it was difficult to even get 3840x800@60Hz running (which is the native resolution).

Looking through the geforce forums it looks like nvidia broke resolution selection for Surround users in a recent driver update. It also looks as though EDID overrides still aren't supported for Surround configurations (this was the reason I sold off my GTX 680 cards a couple years ago). I can't believe it's still not fixed - at this point I think it was done on purpose or something. Anyway, I tried CRU and it's a great tool but still can't work with Surround.

There was one glimmer of hope though. The following procedure would work (with a severe limitations which I'll outline below):
1) DDU in safe mode
2) reboot into normal mode and install nvidia driver
3) reboot as part of driver install
4) Use CRU to edit the timings for each projector display so that the only timing available was 1280x800@120Hz (I created a detailed timing for it that I know works from my old custom EDID and then I added the standard 1280x800@120Hz)
5) Use nvidia control panel to span displays in Surround. At this point the only resolution option available was 3840x800@120Hz. Select that and go.

Using that procedure I was able to try out BF4 at 3840x800@120Hz. Upon exiting the game however the center screen remained black with some artefacts at the top and I had to reboot. Upon reboot the 3840x800@120Hz option was not available. It's so dumb that I can get it to work briefly but then it fails. It's even worse that I can run each screen individually at 1280x800@120Hz but not in Surround mode.

Any insights ToastyX? Any way to get this to work?
NVIDIA broke EDID overrides with Surround back in 331.40, but I don't know how much they've fixed since then. From what you're telling me, it's actually reading the overrides, but Surround is not handling the resolutions correctly. If you're using HDMI, try adding an HDMI support data block in the custom extension block. After enabling Surround, try rebooting to make sure the settings are saved. The center screen remaining black with artifacts at the top almost sounds like a video card memory retraining issue. Try increasing or decreasing the vertical total and see if that makes any difference. Other than that, I have no idea. You'll have to bug NVIDIA to fix these problems.
07-30-2015, 04:15 AM
(07-29-2015 06:07 PM)jossgray Wrote:  Are there any plans to implement support for the DisplayID specification to allow for resolutions greater than 4095 x 4095?
I don't have access to the DisplayID specification, and I don't even know if DisplayID overrides are possible. I haven't heard of any monitor that can handle more than 4096x2160. Even the 5120x2880 Dell monitor acts like two 2560x2880 tiled displays. DisplayID also has a different data structure, so there would need to be significant changes. I'm more likely to implement driver-specific methods instead because that would open the doors to supporting Intel GPUs, but that's a long ways off.
07-30-2015, 04:17 AM
(07-29-2015 09:34 PM)Toobad Wrote:  Could some kind soul suggest ballpark starter settings to make my monitor display something other than a little backlighting. I figured just dropping from 60Hz to a 30Hz refresh rate at 2560 x 1440 would get the magic started but it is not happening for me. I have GPU scaling turned on and the driver is patched but as to what other numbers I should to put in to my Detailed Resolution edit, I have no idea.
You shouldn't have to add any custom resolutions. 2560x1440 @ 60 Hz should already be there, and it should just work after patching the driver. If you can select 2560x1440 @ 60 Hz in Windows after patching the driver, then the patch is working and the monitor can't handle a single-link signal. If you want to try lower refresh rates, try the "LCD standard" and the new "LCD native" timing options at 40 Hz. If that doesn't work, then the monitor probably can't handle lower refresh rates either.
07-30-2015, 07:30 AM
Thanks again, ToastyX. I think I am now ready to admit defeat and accept the Hazro can't handle a single link signal. Neither LCD Standard or LCD Native timings at 40Hz showed a glimmer of life. When I dropped to 16-bit colour resolution I glimpsed a band of my desktop momentarily appear and immediately disappear. It looks like a £21 Radeon HD5450 with native dual link DVI output will be the final solution if I want 1440p viewing.

Your dedication to maintaining this thread and your encyclopaedic knowledge does not go unrecognised. You offer unconditional support to the countless enthusiasts who are fortunate enough to discover this forum. You are a bona fide legend. Heart
07-30-2015, 07:24 PM
(07-30-2015 04:10 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  NVIDIA broke EDID overrides with Surround back in 331.40, but I don't know how much they've fixed since then. From what you're telling me, it's actually reading the overrides, but Surround is not handling the resolutions correctly. If you're using HDMI, try adding an HDMI support data block in the custom extension block. After enabling Surround, try rebooting to make sure the settings are saved. The center screen remaining black with artifacts at the top almost sounds like a video card memory retraining issue. Try increasing or decreasing the vertical total and see if that makes any difference. Other than that, I have no idea. You'll have to bug NVIDIA to fix these problems.

Ok, I'll try that. What does the HDMI support data block actually do? Does the driver infer more or different resolution support as a result? There seem to be some nvidia driver issues with resolution selection so I wanted to restrict the number of resolution possibilities as much as possible.

The other solution I've got in the works is to create an EDID interceptor board that goes inline to the projector. The board is simple - just HDMI in/out with the i2c lines intercepted and connected to an EEPROM. I created a custom EDID that only has the timings I'm interested in and programmed that into the EEPROM.

I've got one board so far and tested it out. The projector came up at 1280x800@120Hz as it should. I need to get 2 more boards now to try out Surround. Hopefully by Friday. Waiting for nvidia to fix their shit is futile, it's been broken for years now.

*note* much thanks to my friends that helped with the board Smile
07-31-2015, 12:29 AM
(07-30-2015 07:24 PM)Haemato Wrote:  Ok, I'll try that. What does the HDMI support data block actually do? Does the driver infer more or different resolution support as a result? There seem to be some nvidia driver issues with resolution selection so I wanted to restrict the number of resolution possibilities as much as possible.
It makes the driver treat the display as HDMI instead of DVI. Usually this only matters if you want YCbCr 4:4:4/4:2:2 or audio support, but I wonder if this would change how the driver reacts with Surround.
07-31-2015, 11:23 PM
Got a Toshiba Sattelite laptop with an Intel HD4600 integrated graphics card. Got a Dell U2711 on HDMI, worked like a charm in Windows 8/8.1. Need 2560x1440 resolution for the monitor, used PowerStrip to force the resolution in Windows 8, worked perfectly.

Just upgraded to Windows 10, I can't get it to work with 2560x1440. Tried CRU, it still doesn't do it. Any thoughts?

Thanks.
08-01-2015, 02:48 AM
Sad RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
Hello, I'm so glad there's somebody out there who's willing to help us out with these kind of problem so I want to thank you in advance. I currently have Planar PX2710MW monitor connected to my desktop via VGA (I do have a DVI or HDMI slot but am trying to use DVI to connect my 2nd monitor). I thought that this monitor was able to display 1920x1080 resolution, however only thing that was originally showing up was "1400x1200" which skewed the icons on my desktop. So I went ahead and tried this program and it showed that the detailed resolution was 1920x1080 @ 60hz, so I put that in in the standard resolution (kept it as "No extension block). When I pressed OK and used restart (I wasn't sure which restart I should use so I just used a regular restart, instead of restart 64, but my operating system is Windows 8.1 64 bits). and two things happened.
1) Instead of computer detecting PLN2710 (PX2710MW) as my monitor, it now just says Generic Non-PnP Monitor (even when I open up the CRU, it shows "PNP09FF - Generic Non-PnP Monitor (active)".
2) The resolution is set to 1280 x 1024 and there's no drag down button anymore and I can't change to any other resolutions (even though I've wrote 1920x1080/1280x720/1600x900 in the standard resolutions box of CRU.
I'm not sure if my on board graphic card doesn't support 1920x1080 or i'm doing something wrong. Please let me know how to best resolve this issue. I greatly appreciate it thank you.

P.S. Info on my display card:
Name: Microsoft Basic Display Adapter
Chip type: ATI ATOMBIOS
Approx. Total Memory: 256MB
Thank you once again!
08-01-2015, 11:10 AM
Is there a way to dump the existing extension block and then load it as a custom extension block so I can create a custom resolution on nVidia cards? I want to have the exact same block with the same audio support as my AVR.