Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
09-04-2015, 04:32 AM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(09-03-2015 10:12 PM)Cyb3r Wrote:  can't seem to get 144hz working with cru on a Asus MG279q with a gtx680 on win 7 the screen goes blank when i try 144 hz
2560x1440 @ 144 Hz should work out of the box. You shouldn't need to add a custom resolution because it should already be defined by the monitor (probably in the default extension block which CRU can't read yet). CRU won't help if the default resolutions aren't working. You probably need to upgrade to a newer video card that supports DisplayPort 1.2.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-04-2015, 04:44 AM
(09-03-2015 11:53 PM)navjack27 Wrote:  i have a vg248qe that i'm trying to get 1440x1080 120hz lightboost working correctly with black bars on the side. i can get 110hz lightboost working just fine. i recently upgraded from SLI gtx 660s to an MSI R9 390x. with the nvidia card all of these settings worked perfectly with just the strobelight program. but now i have to make my own resolution with the CRU and set the detailed res settings and all that.
the issue is when i do 120hz 1440x1080 lightboost it... offsets the actual screen fixed to the bottom left pixel. if that makes sense. it just moves it to one side, everything is visible and working except on the right side of the screen there is just filler random crap going on over there. stretched scaled pixels and stuff like that.
i'd like to use display scaling with no aspect correction just like i did with my nvidia cards. i don't really see why amds drivers don't let this work the right way.
AMD's driver is working the right way. The VG248QE doesn't display 1440x1080 correctly with LightBoost. You have to use GPU scaling.

I don't know what you did to get 1440x1080 with NVIDIA. That's not one of the default resolutions, and display scaling shouldn't be available after installing the refresh rates with Strobelight unless you added a custom resolution, but then 1440x1080 shouldn't display correctly with LightBoost with display scaling. If you created a custom resolution using the NVIDIA control panel without changing the active pixels, then you created a GPU-scaled resolution. Check the monitor's OSD under System Setup > Information to see what resolution the monitor is really receiving.
09-04-2015, 01:36 PM (Last edited: 09-04-2015, 01:49 PM by BlackSharkfr)
Hi ToastyX
I have just discovered your tool. It looks great but I cannot achieve everything I would like to.

I am running Windows 10, my GPU is an AMD Radeon HD7970, my display is a VNS Geobox 501 video processor for video-walls and dual-projectors passive stereoscopic 3D, the connection is DisplayPort. But the Geobox does not report the advanced features in the EDID and I have to create a custom EDID override .inf file (and creating a custom EDID also allows me to remove all the low resolutions that clog up the resolution selection screens in windows and in games).
There are 2 resolutions I am interested in depending on the type of stereoscopc 3D software I am using, and various refresh rates as well. I am trying to make one EDID override to do everything.

The resolutions and refresh rates I need are :
-1920x1080 60Hz : default parameters (typical 2D desktop and 2D games)
-1920x1080 24Hz : for movies (actually 23.976Hz)
-1920x1080 120Hz Stereo3D frame sequential : for AMD HD3D games and applications
-3840x1080 60Hz : for Tridef and other sterescopic 3D games that allow side-by-side at full resolution.
-3840x1080 24Hz : same as above but for movies (actually 23.976Hz)

The things I can't get to work are :
-the stereoscopic 3D capability must be declared and the mode (frame sequential) set through EDID or AMD HD3D will not kick in. I noticed Analog Way's EDID editor has the parameter, and it works (I only tried FS Left sync), but I run out of resolutions because it does not support additional resolutions through the extension block. I also tried to set the other stereoscopic 3D modes in the EDID like interlaced and side by side, the AMD drivers doen't engage with them although it would be nice to have them all available.
-3840x1080 24Hz : the 60Hz version works but for some reason I cannot get 24Hz accepted in Catalyst control center, neither with Analog Way's EDID editor, nor CRU. 24Hz redirects me to 1920x1080, I don't know if I do something incorrectly or if it is AMD bug.

Can you help me ?
09-04-2015, 02:35 PM (Last edited: 09-04-2015, 03:03 PM by falkentyne)
(09-04-2015 04:44 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(09-03-2015 11:53 PM)navjack27 Wrote:  i have a vg248qe that i'm trying to get 1440x1080 120hz lightboost working correctly with black bars on the side. i can get 110hz lightboost working just fine. i recently upgraded from SLI gtx 660s to an MSI R9 390x. with the nvidia card all of these settings worked perfectly with just the strobelight program. but now i have to make my own resolution with the CRU and set the detailed res settings and all that.
the issue is when i do 120hz 1440x1080 lightboost it... offsets the actual screen fixed to the bottom left pixel. if that makes sense. it just moves it to one side, everything is visible and working except on the right side of the screen there is just filler random crap going on over there. stretched scaled pixels and stuff like that.
i'd like to use display scaling with no aspect correction just like i did with my nvidia cards. i don't really see why amds drivers don't let this work the right way.
AMD's driver is working the right way. The VG248QE doesn't display 1440x1080 correctly with LightBoost. You have to use GPU scaling.

I don't know what you did to get 1440x1080 with NVIDIA. That's not one of the default resolutions, and display scaling shouldn't be available after installing the refresh rates with Strobelight unless you added a custom resolution, but then 1440x1080 shouldn't display correctly with LightBoost with display scaling. If you created a custom resolution using the NVIDIA control panel without changing the active pixels, then you created a GPU-scaled resolution. Check the monitor's OSD under System Setup > Information to see what resolution the monitor is really receiving.

Ok you guys just woke me up.

I still have my VG248QE's.
Going to test this out, as I do have a 1440x1080 display scaled 100hz resolution for my XL2720Z for 1:1 already. It was already hard enough to get the 1:1 and aspect (which are identical) scaling options to be available in the Benq OSD at this resolution, because the vertical size is seen as "native" to the monitor, which disables the OSD scaling options. I had to drop the Vertical total by 11 to get the aspect settings to work.

This is what I used for 1440x1080@100 hz: (just a normal setting for max vertically sized 4:3 games with proper mapping).

Horizontal: 1440, 88, 44, 148, 1720
Vertical: 1080, 4, 5, 25, 1114
Display scaled perfectly with 1:1 and aspect showing perfect 1:1 size.

If the vertical is 1125 (or even 1124), Aspect and 1:1 become greyed out. And the video card panel aspect settings become ignored because it thinks the display is handling them. Fun stuff =.=

Going to hook up my VG248QE now and see what happens with lightboost.

BTW it's MUCH easier to get 120 hz lightboost working with bizarre resolutions (or even double strobed 60hz) than it is at 100 hz (which seems impossible). that's because the monitor may respond to vertical totals higher than 1149 to enable lightboost with 120hz strobing. Up to 1180 may work for 120hz strobing. The VG248QE goes out of range with a black screen with ANY Vertical total higher than >1195 (the Benq's don't, they just complain about "out of range!" and still show a signal with certain even higher VT's (probably designed for strobe crosstalk reduction) being accepted.

(Try this on your VG248QE, toastyX you try it too if you're bored.

1920x1080
60hz refresh rate.
Hor: 48, 32, 2080
Vert: 3, 5, 1179

VG248QE OSD reports 60 hz and Lightboost enabled.
The Benq XL2720Z says it's at 120hz (probabaly because it identifies the vertical total for the refresh rate).

(this is REQUIRED if using displayport).
Monitor should enter 3d mode double strobed at 60hz (this is identical to the Benq "double strobe" option for 60hz but there seem to be random retrace tearing artifacts).

If over DVI, the higher timings of Horizontal 88, 44, 2200,
and Vertical 4, 5, 1179 will work also, but over DP, the monitor says "no signal".

*edit* Ok I'm back.
Yeah just use GPU scaling.
The XL2720Z actually refused to enter lightboost mode at 1440x1080 with 1149 VT. It did enter lightboost at 1155 VT, but it had the same right side noise artifacts as the VG248QE. The VG248 entered LB at 1149. I think I remember long ago before I ever owned the XL2720Z that I tried to get display scaled lightboost working at something silly like 1024x768 or something awful and wound up with the entire screen at the bottom left corner Smile I don't even remember how I did that (since the VT values aren't even in range).
09-04-2015, 03:35 PM (Last edited: 09-04-2015, 03:54 PM by Cyb3r)
yep says my cable is 1.2 my card is displayport 1.2 capable yet i can't hit 144hz the option isn't available on win 7 and i'm kinda clueless by now on the MG279Q (read i've had the panel roulette 1st panel had 2 dead pixels (the one i kept) the 2nd one had 2 dead pixels and 5 smeared ones and i'm not the only one with the issue on that screen)

edit softmccs reports my screen as native 144hz yet the option isn't there in nvidia control panel T.T
edit 2 i'm on nvidia driver 355.82
09-04-2015, 04:53 PM (Last edited: 09-04-2015, 04:54 PM by falkentyne)
(09-04-2015 03:35 PM)Cyb3r Wrote:  yep says my cable is 1.2 my card is displayport 1.2 capable yet i can't hit 144hz the option isn't available on win 7 and i'm kinda clueless by now on the MG279Q (read i've had the panel roulette 1st panel had 2 dead pixels (the one i kept) the 2nd one had 2 dead pixels and 5 smeared ones and i'm not the only one with the issue on that screen)

edit softmccs reports my screen as native 144hz yet the option isn't there in nvidia control panel T.T
edit 2 i'm on nvidia driver 355.82

Is this a laptop or a desktop?
GTX 680 is a bit older ....is that a 680M or a desktop Fermi card? (or is that Kepler?)

What cable do you have? was it the cable that came with the monitor? A lot of these monitors use cheap cables that cant do 1440p@144 hz.
09-04-2015, 05:26 PM
tried both cables one with the screen and one without the screen the screen is reporting DP1.2 stream and it's an evga GTX680 signature edi (the first itteration) and i know the card is older but it does support dp 1.2 though after reading up i've seen a few posts about issues with the display port itself on the 680's
09-05-2015, 05:36 AM
(09-04-2015 01:36 PM)BlackSharkfr Wrote:  The things I can't get to work are :
-the stereoscopic 3D capability must be declared and the mode (frame sequential) set through EDID or AMD HD3D will not kick in. I noticed Analog Way's EDID editor has the parameter, and it works (I only tried FS Left sync), but I run out of resolutions because it does not support additional resolutions through the extension block. I also tried to set the other stereoscopic 3D modes in the EDID like interlaced and side by side, the AMD drivers doen't engage with them although it would be nice to have them all available.
I don't have an AMD HD3D-compatible monitor, so I don't know what's involved with making HD3D work. CRU does not currently support the stereoscopic 3D options because I haven't seen anything use them. Those options are supposed to be for VESA stereoscopic 3D support, which isn't commonly used, so it's interesting to hear that AMD's driver listens to that information with HD3D. Normally HDMI 3D support is defined in the extension block in the HDMI support data block. CRU does not currently support the HDMI 3D options either, but it will preserve that information if you import it.

Do you have a dump of the projector's original EDID? If not, connect a projector directly to the video card, and then run reset-all.exe and restart.exe. Then use GetEDID or MonInfo to dump the full EDID to a file. You can import that file into CRU to edit the original extension block. You can also open the file with AW EDID Editor. Do any of the detailed resolutions have stereoscopic support set by default? AW EDID Editor should also support additional detailed resolutions in the extension block.

(09-04-2015 01:36 PM)BlackSharkfr Wrote:  -3840x1080 24Hz : the 60Hz version works but for some reason I cannot get 24Hz accepted in Catalyst control center, neither with Analog Way's EDID editor, nor CRU. 24Hz redirects me to 1920x1080, I don't know if I do something incorrectly or if it is AMD bug.
Make sure 3840x1080 @ 60 Hz is the first detailed resolution, and make sure GPU scaling is disabled.
09-05-2015, 03:22 PM (Last edited: 09-05-2015, 11:19 PM by falkentyne)
ToastyX:

How exactly is this possible?
This is a 1080p monitor...

Take a look at this screenshot...(it's 100hz refresh rate, not 60hz).

[Image: qXd3idN.jpg]

I got REALLY curious after going through the V4 firmware dump of the XL2720Z and seeing a bunch of resolutions in it that were higher than native.

So I had to do a lot of work but I figured out something:
The vertical total limits what the Benq can accept vertically. It can accept any vertical total up to 1502 (certain ranges under 1494 will give out of range errors).

I don't know about the horizontal. Masterotaku created a 60hz with a 2876 horizontal total to get a strobed VT working.

This is 100hz refresh rate btw. The screenshot says 60hz because the strobe pulse widths switch to 60hz whenever the Vertical Total (VT) is out of specification.

Note: I can't create a 60hz one. it just says "Out of range" with a black screen. Only the 100hz one works.

So did I just create scaler supersampling? Or a bad case of interpolated pixels? (I assume that AMD VSR/Nvidia DSR would look the exact same way?)

*edit* if toastyX is around.
60hz ="black screen Out of Range!"
61hz = works perfectly. What?

(occasionally when switching around from 61hz to 100hz, OSD thinks its a 720p and says 720p on OSD when its not)
09-05-2015, 05:04 PM
(09-05-2015 05:36 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(09-04-2015 01:36 PM)BlackSharkfr Wrote:  -3840x1080 24Hz : the 60Hz version works but for some reason I cannot get 24Hz accepted in Catalyst control center, neither with Analog Way's EDID editor, nor CRU. 24Hz redirects me to 1920x1080, I don't know if I do something incorrectly or if it is AMD bug.
Make sure 3840x1080 @ 60 Hz is the first detailed resolution, and make sure GPU scaling is disabled.
Switching GPU scaling off did the trick. I'm amazed this setting would block the 24Hz mode.
I obtained a black screen in 23.976Hz mode, I'll try again with 24.0Hz or try other settings.

I am encountering some weird scaling glitches when switching from 3840x1080 60Hz to 1920x1080 60Hz mode that I hadn't noticed before : the geobox doesn't detect the resolution change (it says it is still receiving 3840x1080), and the 1920x1080 picture appears centered in the middle of the 3840x1080 frame (with large black bars on each side).
It looks like if it was using centered frame setting : one of the settings which should require GPU scaling to be on, even though the GPU scaling box is unticked.
Even better, the 3 gpu scaling items are not even greyed out, and I can even change the setting. When i do (even theough the GPU scaling checkbox is unticked), the resolution suddenly changes and the correct resolution is applied and detected by the Geobox. Weird.

I also have a lot of trouble getting the Catalyst driver configured the way I want between the clone modes where scaling must be on and the single display mode where scaling must be off. Saving these settings to Catalyst presets and switching between them. And then add the fact that when I switch the Geobox off, the DisplayPort connection is completely cut off and the GPU assumes that the display has been unplugged.
It looks suspiciously like I am hitting one AMD catalyst driver limitations after an other.

I'm not sure if using 3840x1080 as the first detailled resolution is a good idea. The configuration I need is really complicated because I want the default resolution to be 1920x1080 60Hz. In which case the Geobox behaves in 2D mode and clones the 2D output in both eyes.
The extra resolutions 1920x1080 120Hz (field sequential 3D) and 3840x1080 24/60Hz (side by side 3D) should be available in the resolution list and usable when specifically called for by Stereosopic 3D applications or when I want to manually override it.
But when I am on the desktop or when I use any other random 2D game or application, these should always detect 1920x1080 60Hz when auto-detecting the best resolution.

(09-05-2015 05:36 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  I don't have an AMD HD3D-compatible monitor, so I don't know what's involved with making HD3D work. CRU does not currently support the stereoscopic 3D options because I haven't seen anything use them. Those options are supposed to be for VESA stereoscopic 3D support, which isn't commonly used, so it's interesting to hear that AMD's driver listens to that information with HD3D. Normally HDMI 3D support is defined in the extension block in the HDMI support data block. CRU does not currently support the HDMI 3D options either, but it will preserve that information if you import it.

Do you have a dump of the projector's original EDID?

You can also open the file with AW EDID Editor. Do any of the detailed resolutions have stereoscopic support set by default? AW EDID Editor should also support additional detailed resolutions in the extension block.
AMD HD3D mostly supports standard hdmi monitors, TVs and projectors. There are very few (and old) Samsung DisplayPort 3D displays compatible with HD3D.
I do not have an officially compatible HD3D display. The VNS Geobox 501's 3D support is not declared through EDID, and neither is the 3840x1080 resolution (although the firmware does support it). Which is why I have to override them. And I have no idea how to write a custom EDID, that's why I need software like yours.

I found out about AMD'driver enabling stereoscopic HD3D mode when detecting the Vesa 3D capability when I used someone else's EDID override made with MonInfo from one of these rare Samsung DisplayPort 3D monitors that work with AMD HD3D : a S27A950D (1920x1080 120Hz frame sequential).
The EDID overrides of this monitor, and many others are available at 3DVision-blog forums : http://3dvision-blog.com/forum/viewtopic...8837#p8837
Their forums are a goldmine for Stereoscopic 3D capable displays EDIDs.

Once I found this EDID override did activate HD3D mode, I tried to look further into it.
But what made the AMD HD3D capability was not obvious when I opened it in MonInfo, I only understood when I tried it in AW EDID Editor, because that's the only application where I saw the stereosopic 3D setting being explained (and selectable).

I experimented a little to try and force my AMD GPU into steresopic mode with the Geobox501 and found out that all I had to do fill a detailled resolution (not necessarely the first one) with 1920x1080 120Hz reduced blanking, and the Stereosopic 3D mode "Field Sequential L on sync" just like the S27A950D, and HD3D mode would kick in when called at this specific resolution and framerate.

I then tried the other Vesa 3D modes but the AMD driver only uses the HD3D mode with frame sequential displays.

Passive 3D monitors using FPR technology (interleced 3D) like the Zalman Trimon series do report the Vesa 3D setting as "2 Way" (even first or odd first depending on the model), however the HD3D driver does nothing, for these displays it's up to application developpers to add specific support for FPR displays (or if you use HD3D, to tell the users to use the inferior hdmi transmission).
I also tried the Vesa 3D Side by Side setting and again it did nothing. AMD's HD3D mode appears to only support Hdmi frame packing or DisplayPort frame sequential formats at the moment.

Now about AW's EDID Editor and the extension block : when I try it, it asks for the extension as a binary file, but it doesn't provide a GUI to write it, so it's unusable for me, I run out of detailed resolutions and I am stuck. (unless I missed a feature in AW's Edid Editor ?)

However, I should try again with the GPU scaling on the off position and see if it makes a difference, if I can save one detailed resolution, it would fit in 4 resolutions.