Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
06-18-2013, 12:11 AM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(06-17-2013 11:17 PM)Nintendo Maniac 64 Wrote:  So this explains how and why RefreshForce/ReForce works on XP... according to you, games select their refresh rate with the following priority and move to the next if it's not available:

1. same as desktop
2. 60hz
3. whatever else is available for that resolution

CRU can only eliminate the first option while RefreshForce/ReForce would eliminate the second while also being able to eliminate the first.
The behavior depends on the game. Some games will try to force 60 Hz no matter what.

CRU can eliminate 60 Hz if you don't add it for any resolution. The problem is you have it for 1536x1152, so the driver adds some lower standard resolutions with 60 Hz.

640x480 @ 60 Hz is an exception because all monitors are assumed to support it, so the driver adds it regardless. I don't know if there's a way around that.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-18-2013, 12:30 AM (Last edited: 06-18-2013, 12:51 AM by Nintendo Maniac 64)
(06-18-2013 12:11 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  CRU can eliminate 60 Hz if you don't add it for any resolution. The problem is you have it for 1536x1152, so the driver adds some lower standard resolutions with 60 Hz.
Oh, I'll try removing that resolution and then testing.

(06-18-2013 12:11 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  640x480 @ 60 Hz is an exception because all monitors are assumed to support it, so the driver adds it regardless. I don't know if there's a way around that.
It's definitely an exception because I just found out the wackiest thing with how Windows 7 handles 640x480. Using Reso or Display Changer, I can start calc.exe at 640x480 @ 120hz. Without closing calc.exe or changing my resolution, if I start a fullscreen 640x480 game, it will switch back to 60hz! This does not happen with any other resolution, such as 800x600 - it will stay in 112hz when I launch the fullscreen 800x600 program. This also does not happen with 640x480 if I manually set it to run at 120hz from the Windows screen resolution properties.

EDIT: Removing 1536x1152 indeed made fullscreen programs that are 800x600 and larger to choose the CRU-specified refresh rate! Unfortunately it doesn't seem like it changed how 640x480 works...
06-19-2013, 01:05 AM
(06-06-2013 07:03 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  I don't have control over the name. That's up to the driver. What problems are you having? The name doesn't affect the actual refresh rate.

My video player switches display modes based on the fps of the video playing, but it can't discern between 23.976 and 24hz refresh rates because they have the same name. It's not that big of a deal though.
06-19-2013, 05:25 PM
(06-19-2013 01:05 AM)mindbomb Wrote:  My video player switches display modes based on the fps of the video playing, but it can't discern between 23.976 and 24hz refresh rates because they have the same name. It's not that big of a deal though.
You could probably use 48 Hz instead.
06-20-2013, 10:07 PM
Windows 8 overlord oc 120hz full res but getting lines across screen
ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Gaming Motherboard with 3-Way SLI/CrossFireX Support and UEFI BIOS
HIS IceQ Boost Clock H795QC3G2M Radeon HD 7950 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
AMD FX-8150 Zambezi 3.6GHz (3.9GHz/4.2GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor with Liquid Cooling Kit FD8150FRGUWOX
ORSAIR Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400 Desktop Memory Model CMD16GX3M2A2400C10
I followed the instructions here
Choose a display from the drop-down list.
"(active)" means the display is connected and the configuration is active.
"*" means changes were saved and an override is in effect.
Edit the configuration as desired.
The first detailed resolution is considered the preferred or native resolution. To make games use a higher refresh rate, define it as the first detailed resolution.
At least one detailed resolution should be defined. All other resolutions can be removed if they are not needed.
NVIDIA users must uncheck "Include extension block" to get custom resolutions to show up.
i followed these first though
Run atikmdag-patcher.exe.
If all the limits are found, click "Yes" to patch and sign. If a limit is not found or if multiple matches are found, the patcher needs to be updated.
64-bit only: enable test mode using testmode.exe if it isn't already enabled.
Reboot.
i did test mode then rebooted i get blue screen i have to restore each time i got it to work once but screen had lines going through it everywhere different color lines going left to right on desktop did not test game.
Any ideas would be great windows update and drivers up to date
06-21-2013, 11:47 PM (Last edited: 06-21-2013, 11:49 PM by Nintendo Maniac 64)
I think I've found a bug with CRU or something - I'm using an integrated Radeon HD 4200 with Catalyst 13.1 on Windows 7 64bit.

If I put my computer to sleep, all "non-standard refresh rates" (anything WinXP didn't support) seem to be disabled. This results in my 800x600 @ 112hz running at 100hz and 1280x720 @ 90hz running at 60hz. The issue only lasts until Windows is restarted or shut down and doesn't happen again until you put it to sleep.
06-24-2013, 12:04 PM
(06-21-2013 11:47 PM)Nintendo Maniac 64 Wrote:  If I put my computer to sleep, all "non-standard refresh rates" (anything WinXP didn't support) seem to be disabled. This results in my 800x600 @ 112hz running at 100hz and 1280x720 @ 90hz running at 60hz. The issue only lasts until Windows is restarted or shut down and doesn't happen again until you put it to sleep.
I can only think of three possibilities:

1. If CRU doesn't show any monitor as active and the monitor is listed as "Generic non-PnP Monitor" in the device manager, then the driver is not receiving an EDID from the monitor when waking up from sleep. In that case, you can work around the problem by exporting the settings to an INF file using CRU and installing it through the device manager: Right-click "Generic non-PnP Monitor" -> Update Driver Software... -> Browse my computer for driver software -> Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer -> Have Disk... -> Browse for the .inf file -> OK -> Next -> Install this driver software anyway)

2. If CRU shows a different monitor entry is active without your custom resolutions, then the driver is flip-flopping between two different entries for some reason. In that case, you can work around the problem by copying and pasting the resolutions to that entry.

3. If CRU shows the monitor is active with all your custom resolutions still there, then it's a driver bug. For some reason the driver is not loading the settings after waking up from sleep. If that's the case, I don't know what you can do to work around that.

(06-20-2013 10:07 PM)Korvan Wrote:  i did test mode then rebooted i get blue screen i have to restore each time i got it to work once but screen had lines going through it everywhere different color lines going left to right on desktop did not test game.
Any ideas would be great windows update and drivers up to date
If you're getting a blue screen on boot with the AMD/ATI patch, then test mode is not enabled. Make sure secure boot is disabled in the BIOS because that will prevent test mode from working in Windows 8.
06-24-2013, 08:26 PM (Last edited: 06-24-2013, 08:27 PM by Nintendo Maniac 64)
(06-24-2013 12:04 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  1. If CRU doesn't show any monitor as active and the monitor is listed as "Generic non-PnP Monitor"
Nope, both before and after sleep mode CRU shows my monitor as active and the device manager has it listed as "Generic PnP monitor".

(06-24-2013 12:04 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  2. If CRU shows a different monitor entry is active without your custom resolutions
Nope, CRU shows the same monitor before and after sleep mode.

(06-24-2013 12:04 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  3. If CRU shows the monitor is active with all your custom resolutions still there, then it's a driver bug.
Oh goody. I'm on catalyst 13.1 because that's the newest available for GPUs older than the 5000 series.
06-29-2013, 05:26 PM
(04-28-2013 12:22 PM)scooterbaga Wrote:  Is there any way to wipe out all of the resolutions/refresh rates in the extension block and keep the sound and other functionality?

EDIT: Nevermind. ATI Tray Tools does what I need there. It allows you to lock in refresh rates. Problem solved. CRU to create and customize entries and ATITT to lock them in. Wish I could nix some of the more ridiculous entries from the low end, but that's just nitpicking at this point.

Hi, I've been trying to have my monitor run @ 120hz (works! YAY!) but it will lose the sound since the extension block is disabled (can't find resolution @ 120hz with it enabled). you mentioned ATITT being a solution for you but I've enabled refresh lock and no dice. can you go into more detail on how you've gotten the sound AND the custom refresh rate?
07-02-2013, 06:15 PM (Last edited: 07-05-2013, 06:39 PM by mkk)
Edit: After I found a setting in a graphics tweaker software limiting framerates to 60Hz and have now at least seen 66Hz in Tomb Raider. Many other games simply don't support such odd frequencies, but at least some do. I'll add any relevant experiences later on. Thanks for this utility.

Edit2: Thanks to the option "Automatic LCD Reduced" option when creating a new mode, I'm now running at 72Hz successfully without having to patch for overcoming the 165 MHz pixel clock limit at 1920x1080. And the increase in framerate from 60 is noticeable even if the panel itself can't quite keep up when changing pixels betweeen certain pixel color/brightness levels. I'll try this on future monitors for sure.

Edit3: Removed my initial post, here's now a reference shot of the settings I use when enjoying 72Hz with custom LCD Reduced(blanking) settings for 66 and 60Hz also in there for backpedaling if need be. I noticed one game experiencing problem startin up when I only had a single 66Hz setting in there, getting wierd timings at 60Hz somehow. So keeping at least a working 60Hz setting in the Detailed Resolutions field seems like good practice. Again, with the Automatic LCD Reduced option for creating new entries in Detailed Resolutions I have not had to patch for the 165 MHz pixel clock limit with a 1920x1080 resolutiuon, which is nice. Perhaps this can help someone else reach 72Hz comfortably.

[Image: http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/2395/jhqb.png]

Edit4: Quick note. After noticing that at 72Hz the idle graphics clocks raised significantly I tuned down to 70Hz. Not having aimed necessarily for a 24Hz multiple, that feels okay going forward.