Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
11-13-2015, 01:58 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
Can't say that I'm sure.
That worked just fine on my Benq.
This may be a limit of the laptop or whatever hardware its running.
Laptops do not have hardware display scalers.

What happens if you use the Nvidia control panel to create a custom resolution and have it GPU scale it?
that is, you change the top "active" to 960 x 540, but keep the bottom area 1920x1080 ? (CRU won't let you do this).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-13-2015, 06:38 PM (Last edited: 11-13-2015, 06:38 PM by comemierda)
(11-13-2015 01:58 PM)falkentyne Wrote:  Can't say that I'm sure.
That worked just fine on my Benq.
This may be a limit of the laptop or whatever hardware its running.
Laptops do not have hardware display scalers.

What happens if you use the Nvidia control panel to create a custom resolution and have it GPU scale it?
that is, you change the top "active" to 960 x 540, but keep the bottom area 1920x1080 ? (CRU won't let you do this).

Unfortunately, Nvidia drivers for laptop cards dont have all the options the desktop version has, and custom resolution is one of them.
11-14-2015, 02:05 PM
(11-13-2015 06:38 PM)comemierda Wrote:  Unfortunately, Nvidia drivers for laptop cards dont have all the options the desktop version has, and custom resolution is one of them.
If the NVIDIA control panel does not have custom resolution options, then your laptop has switchable graphics (Optimus). CRU does not currently support laptops with switchable graphics because the Intel GPU handles the resolutions and Intel's driver does not support EDID overrides.
11-15-2015, 12:32 PM
Hi everyone, hi ToastyX!

I've tried to overclock my Dell P2414H to 72Hz. My graphics card is an nVidia GTX 970 with the latest driver (355.82), and I use DP port.
This type of monitor theoretically can handle 72Hz easily.
And it works, but i have some issues.
I tried it with STANDARD TIMINGS and with CUSTOM TIMINGS TOO (with the following values):

Horizontal Active: 1920
Horizontal Front Porch: 30
Horizontal Sync Width: 40
Horizontal Back Porch: 45
Horizontal Total: 2035
Horizontal Sync: +

Vertical Active: 1080
Vertical Front Porch: 3
Vertical Sync Width: 4
Vertical Back Porch: 5
Vertical Total: 1092
Vertical Sync: +

I set the resolution with CRU. If i would like to activate it, i have to choose 72Hz refresh rate (native resolution) in nVidia control panel too.
Then some games (like Crysis 3) works with 72Hz perfectly (VSync set fps to stable 72).
But some apps not. For exaple in Far Cry 4, i can set refresh rate to 72Hz in the garaphics menu of the game, and it works, but i have some frame skipping or something like that (the movement isn't perfectly smooth, there are some jammings all the time (inspite of I have stable 72 fps with Vsync).
In Mass Effect 3, the game set fps to 62 inspite of I've set refresh rate to 72Hz on CRU and nVidia control panel.
When I see http://www.testufo.com/#test=ghosting, it shows, that i have 60Hz and 60 fps, inspite of i set it to 72. There are jammings too.

What can be the problem?
11-18-2015, 01:48 AM
(11-15-2015 12:32 PM)RudiSZT3 Wrote:  But some apps not. For exaple in Far Cry 4, i can set refresh rate to 72Hz in the garaphics menu of the game, and it works, but i have some frame skipping or something like that (the movement isn't perfectly smooth, there are some jammings all the time (inspite of I have stable 72 fps with Vsync).
In Mass Effect 3, the game set fps to 62 inspite of I've set refresh rate to 72Hz on CRU and nVidia control panel.
Some games have frame rate limits: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/sh...?t=2579032

(11-15-2015 12:32 PM)RudiSZT3 Wrote:  When I see http://www.testufo.com/#test=ghosting, it shows, that i have 60Hz and 60 fps, inspite of i set it to 72. There are jammings too.
The test works best with Chrome. Make sure GPU acceleration is enabled in the browser. If you have Windows 7, make sure you're using one of the Aero themes and not Basic or Classic. If you have multiple monitors, the test will only work properly with one monitor connected.
11-19-2015, 08:42 PM (Last edited: 11-19-2015, 08:45 PM by Spec-Chum)
My new monitor (Acer XR341CK) can do 85hz, but every time I change anything with CRU it disables FreeSync, as in it disappears completely from CCC.

I've tried the new CRU (v1.2.3) and changed the range from 30-75 to 30-85 and even just doing this prevents FreeSync; this is without even creating a new 85hz option in CRU.

Any ideas?
11-20-2015, 02:35 AM
(11-19-2015 08:42 PM)Spec-Chum Wrote:  My new monitor (Acer XR341CK) can do 85hz, but every time I change anything with CRU it disables FreeSync, as in it disappears completely from CCC.

I've tried the new CRU (v1.2.3) and changed the range from 30-75 to 30-85 and even just doing this prevents FreeSync; this is without even creating a new 85hz option in CRU.

Any ideas?
I don't have a FreeSync monitor, so I don't know what's required for FreeSync to work. The only document I found from AMD says the EDID must indicate that it is a "continuous frequency display" and report the range of refresh rates that the display supports, which is what CRU does when you include the range limits descriptor. The FreeSync "hack" is just modifying the range limits descriptor with an EDID override like CRU does, so I don't understand why it's not working.

Did you make sure to include the range limits? It should show in the detailed resolution list. CRU doesn't include the range limits by default so you have to enable it.

If that's not working, run reset-all.exe and restart.exe. Then use MonInfo to save the EDID to a .bin file and post it here. I want to see if there's anything else that might be required.
11-20-2015, 08:53 AM (Last edited: 11-20-2015, 09:31 AM by Spec-Chum)
(11-20-2015 02:35 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(11-19-2015 08:42 PM)Spec-Chum Wrote:  My new monitor (Acer XR341CK) can do 85hz, but every time I change anything with CRU it disables FreeSync, as in it disappears completely from CCC.

Any ideas?
I don't have a FreeSync monitor, so I don't know what's required for FreeSync to work. The only document I found from AMD says the EDID must indicate that it is a "continuous frequency display" and report the range of refresh rates that the display supports, which is what CRU does when you include the range limits descriptor. The FreeSync "hack" is just modifying the range limits descriptor with an EDID override like CRU does, so I don't understand why it's not working.

Did you make sure to include the range limits? It should show in the detailed resolution list. CRU doesn't include the range limits by default so you have to enable it.

If that's not working, run reset-all.exe and restart.exe. Then use MonInfo to save the EDID to a .bin file and post it here. I want to see if there's anything else that might be required.

Yeah, it's showing in the Detailed Resolution list, it says: "Range Limits: 30-85Hz, 160-160 kHz, 600Mhz".

Adding the 85Hz does work in that I can select 85Hz using CCC but it disables FreeSync completely, you can't even select it.

Here's the original EDID bin file:
http://1drv.ms/1l90UJ1

OK, just having a quick play.

Even doing nothing but adding the default range into the details description breaks FreeSync. It's almost like CRU isn't creating the correct type of EDID.

Just importing the original .dat file into CRU and not touching it also disables FreeSync lol

What's going on? Tongue
11-20-2015, 01:14 PM
(11-20-2015 08:53 AM)Spec-Chum Wrote:  
(11-20-2015 02:35 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  

Any ideas?

Yeah, it's showing in the Detailed Resolution list, it says: "Range Limits: 30-85Hz, 160-160 kHz, 600Mhz".

Adding the 85Hz does work in that I can select 85Hz using CCC but it disables FreeSync completely, you can't even select it.

Here's the original EDID bin file:
http://1drv.ms/1l90UJ1

OK, just having a quick play.

Even doing nothing but adding the default range into the details description breaks FreeSync. It's almost like CRU isn't creating the correct type of EDID.

Just importing the original .dat file into CRU and not touching it also disables FreeSync lol

What's going on? Tongue

I can't help with this, but it's probably the exact same thing that makes 50hz refresh rate appear, if (or when) it's gone after a completely clean unaltered EDID.

Default clean driver config: lowest refresh rate is 60hz.
Make any change with CRU, even just saving the default config right over itself without making any change: 50hz appears.
11-20-2015, 01:47 PM (Last edited: 11-20-2015, 01:47 PM by Spec-Chum)
Quote:I can't help with this, but it's probably the exact same thing that makes 50hz refresh rate appear, if (or when) it's gone after a completely clean unaltered EDID.

Default clean driver config: lowest refresh rate is 60hz.
Make any change with CRU, even just saving the default config right over itself without making any change: 50hz appears.

Does sound like a similar thing, yeah. I'm not an expert by any means but it's almost like CRU is creating a non-standard EDID so it's falling back onto a failsafe.

Saying that tho, as I say, adding an 85hz option for this monitor (max is normally 75hz) does work, you just lose freesync.