Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
12-31-2015, 05:30 AM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(12-28-2015 05:36 AM)MightyUnit Wrote:  You mean this, correct? If not please tell me what you need. Thank you for helping me!
I wanted a .bin file, but this has the information I need. The only problem I see is the monitor says there's an extension block when there isn't one, but the Catleap/QNIX monitors have the same problem, and those monitors work with NVIDIA cards, although they did have similar black screen issues with certain driver versions until NVIDIA fixed the problem.

Have you tried anything with CRU? Setting a custom extension block would fix the EDID, but I don't think that will work if the monitor isn't detected properly. This seems like a driver issue that NVIDIA needs to fix.

I don't think the EDID is write-protected on these monitors, so you might be able to fix the problem by using CRU to export an EDID with no extension block and flashing the EDID using one of these methods: http://www.blurbusters.com/zero-motion-b...dware-mod/
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-31-2015, 05:53 AM (Last edited: 12-31-2015, 07:57 PM by MightyUnit)
(12-31-2015 05:30 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(12-28-2015 05:36 AM)MightyUnit Wrote:  You mean this, correct? If not please tell me what you need. Thank you for helping me!
I wanted a .bin file, but this has the information I need. The only problem I see is the monitor says there's an extension block when there isn't one, but the Catleap/QNIX monitors have the same problem, and those monitors work with NVIDIA cards, although they did have similar black screen issues with certain driver versions until NVIDIA fixed the problem.

Have you tried anything with CRU? Setting a custom extension block would fix the EDID, but I don't think that will work if the monitor isn't detected properly. This seems like a driver issue that NVIDIA needs to fix.

I don't think the EDID is write-protected on these monitors, so you might be able to fix the problem by using CRU to export an EDID with no extension block and flashing the EDID using one of these methods: http://www.blurbusters.com/zero-motion-b...dware-mod/

Thanks for the reply Toastyx,

What would you do if you were me? Flash the display with the EDID after removing the empty extension block (if I understood that correctly) or try to tell Nvidia about this?

EDIT: concerning EDID programming what about software called EDID programmer? I used it to flash an LG L245WP from within windows the other day. Here is a link to it: http://pg-anatolich.narod.ru/EDIDProgrammer_v1.2.1.zip

EDIT: can .bin files be renamed .edid? EDIDprogrammer can read and write .edid and CRU exports in .bin
01-02-2016, 03:23 AM
(12-31-2015 05:53 AM)MightyUnit Wrote:  
(12-31-2015 05:30 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  

Thanks for the reply Toastyx,

What would you do if you were me? Flash the display with the EDID after removing the empty extension block (if I understood that correctly) or try to tell Nvidia about this?

EDIT: concerning EDID programming what about software called EDID programmer? I used it to flash an LG L245WP from within windows the other day. Here is a link to it: http://pg-anatolich.narod.ru/EDIDProgrammer_v1.2.1.zip

EDIT: can .bin files be renamed .edid? EDIDprogrammer can read and write .edid and CRU exports in .bin

I don't know what you linked, but that EDID program says the 30 day period has expired and won't run.

I know you can use Linux to run the file "write-edid.sh" (that was packed in a write-edid.zip file with someone who was having trouble flashing their edid with the more easily obtainable edid-rw Linux file.

The regular edid-rw file is downloaded through a Linux / Ubuntu shell here:

sudo apt-get install python-smbus edid-decode
and ./edid-rw X | edid-decode as shown on the link ToastyX linked.

I had a problem where EDID-RW failed to write the EDID on my VG248QE even though I removed the write protect (by enabling burn-in mode in the service menu). It would just write and do nothing.

But write-edid.sh after compiled with the required libraries worked perfectly.
But I already had an EDID backup to use it in the first place (I had two VG248QE's and one of them had a Benq XL2720Z EDID (don't ask how, trust me, don't ask Smile)
01-02-2016, 03:30 AM
That Edid programmer runs for me. Click past the errors messages and it runs fine. Like I said I used it to flash two L245WPs last week. I am just not sure if .bin is the same as .edid. I am afraid to flash until I know it is.

Concerning Linux, it is my last resort for flashing. I know know, yada yada yada, it is so easy and such but not for me for some reason.
01-02-2016, 04:38 AM
(12-31-2015 05:53 AM)MightyUnit Wrote:  What would you do if you were me? Flash the display with the EDID after removing the empty extension block (if I understood that correctly) or try to tell Nvidia about this?
Why not both? Flash the EDID to check if that's the problem, and then report it to NVIDIA.

Does the monitor support 1280x800? I assume it does since you're able to see the boot screens. The monitor defines 1280x800 as the native resolution, probably for compatibility with single-link DVI, which could cause a black screen if the monitor didn't support it, but that shouldn't prevent the monitor from being detected. I've seen other 2560x1600 monitors do the same thing. You can make 2560x1600 the first detailed resolution if you want it to be the native resolution. Then GPU scaling should scale to 2560x1600 instead of 1280x800.

(12-31-2015 05:53 AM)MightyUnit Wrote:  EDIT: concerning EDID programming what about software called EDID programmer? I used it to flash an LG L245WP from within windows the other day. Here is a link to it: http://pg-anatolich.narod.ru/EDIDProgrammer_v1.2.1.zip
Where did you find this? I can't run it. It says it uses a demo version of the WinI2C/DDC component and that the 30-day trial period expired. I don't know anything about it since it's not documented anywhere, but if you got it to work with the LG, then it might work with any monitor.

(12-31-2015 05:53 AM)MightyUnit Wrote:  EDIT: can .bin files be renamed .edid? EDIDprogrammer can read and write .edid and CRU exports in .bin
No, the included .edid files look like the raw data as tab-separated hex values. I can't run the program, so I can't see if it will accept other types. Most EDID programs support the .bin format.

I manually converted the raw data with the extension block removed and with 2560x1600 as the first detailed resolution:

.edid  dnd9220.edid (Size: 400 bytes / Downloads: 511)
.edid  dnd9220-2560x1600.edid (Size: 400 bytes / Downloads: 526)
01-02-2016, 05:17 AM (Last edited: 01-03-2016, 05:33 PM by MightyUnit)
(01-02-2016 04:38 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(12-31-2015 05:53 AM)MightyUnit Wrote:  What would you do if you were me? Flash the display with the EDID after removing the empty extension block (if I understood that correctly) or try to tell Nvidia about this?
Why not both? Flash the EDID to check if that's the problem, and then report it to NVIDIA.

Does the monitor support 1280x800? I assume it does since you're able to see the boot screens. The monitor defines 1280x800 as the native resolution, probably for compatibility with single-link DVI, which could cause a black screen if the monitor didn't support it, but that shouldn't prevent the monitor from being detected. I've seen other 2560x1600 monitors do the same thing. You can make 2560x1600 the first detailed resolution if you want it to be the native resolution. Then GPU scaling should scale to 2560x1600 instead of 1280x800.

(12-31-2015 05:53 AM)MightyUnit Wrote:  EDIT: concerning EDID programming what about software called EDID programmer? I used it to flash an LG L245WP from within windows the other day. Here is a link to it: http://pg-anatolich.narod.ru/EDIDProgrammer_v1.2.1.zip
Where did you find this? I can't run it. It says it uses a demo version of the WinI2C/DDC component and that the 30-day trial period expired. I don't know anything about it since it's not documented anywhere, but if you got it to work with the LG, then it might work with any monitor.

(12-31-2015 05:53 AM)MightyUnit Wrote:  EDIT: can .bin files be renamed .edid? EDIDprogrammer can read and write .edid and CRU exports in .bin
No, the included .edid files look like the raw data as tab-separated hex values. I can't run the program, so I can't see if it will accept other types. Most EDID programs support the .bin format.

I manually converted the raw data with the extension block removed and with 2560x1600 as the first detailed resolution:

Thanks for the reply.

Thank you for converting the raw data. I think I am ready to try to write.... Have a look. I loaded your dnd9220-2560x1600.edid with my edid programmer and I am tempted to hit write.

[Image: http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab224/mightyunit/should_zpsn6d0rr1v.jpg]

EDIT: I did contact Nvidia and I have currently made it to level 2 tech support. They asked for my video card part #, msinfo32 report and the edid pulled from my display.
01-02-2016, 10:03 PM
(01-02-2016 05:17 AM)MightyUnit Wrote:  
(01-02-2016 04:38 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  

Thanks for the reply.

I run the Edid programmer, click past two error messages and then last message is that this program uses and unregistered version of "WINI2C/DDC component" if that means anything to you.

Thank you for converting the raw data. I think I am ready to try to write.... Have a look. I loaded your dnd9220-2560x1600.edid with my edid programmer and I am tempted to hit write.

[Image: http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab224/mightyunit/should_zpsn6d0rr1v.jpg]

EDIT: I did contact Nvidia and I have currently made it to level 2 tech support. They asked for my video card part #, msinfo32 report and the edid pulled from my display.

I know what you're saying
"click past the 2 errors' right?

I KNOW.
I click past them and the program DOES NOT LOAD
at all
Because it's expired or something.
It's not even active in memory.
So, yeah. I can't use this program and ToastyX can't seem to run it either.
I don't know why it runs for you.
01-03-2016, 04:11 AM (Last edited: 01-03-2016, 09:19 PM by MightyUnit)
That is odd. I tried and I am can run that EDID programmer on my win 7 and win 10 machines.

Before I flash how likely do you think I am to brick my Corssover 30Q5? I am confident in my EDID programmer program and so my concern would be with the modded edid. Chances are that most would be more concerned with my janky edid programmer being the cause of a bad flash... am I right?

EDIT: so I tried to write the EDID. It seemed to work but after power cycling the monitor the original edid is back in there.
01-04-2016, 12:52 AM (Last edited: 01-04-2016, 12:54 AM by qwer)
@ ToastyX

I've got an old but functional CRT monitor LG F700P which can handle 150hz @ 800x600, but those options aren't avaiable in my NVIDIA settings (I'm on a notebook, with Geforce 740M).

So, I try to use the CRU but after setting my new custom refreshrate, ticking the custom extension block option and reseting the driver/rebooting the computer, I can't find the new Hz as an option... it gets stuck @ 120hz in 800x600.

What am I missing here?

thanks.
01-04-2016, 04:54 AM
(01-04-2016 12:52 AM)qwer Wrote:  I've got an old but functional CRT monitor LG F700P which can handle 150hz @ 800x600, but those options aren't avaiable in my NVIDIA settings (I'm on a notebook, with Geforce 740M).

So, I try to use the CRU but after setting my new custom refreshrate, ticking the custom extension block option and reseting the driver/rebooting the computer, I can't find the new Hz as an option... it gets stuck @ 120hz in 800x600.

What am I missing here?
If the NVIDIA control panel does not have custom resolution options and the laptop has an Intel GPU, then the laptop has switchable graphics (Optimus) and can't be used with CRU. The Intel GPU controls the resolutions, and Intel's driver does not currently support EDID overrides. You have to create custom resolutions using Intel's control panel instead.