Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
01-12-2016, 09:33 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
Hey Toasytx,

Thanks for the tool, however I do not understand how to use it all the way. The main part I'm confused is the Extension blocks, I use an R9 390 and I'm trying to get 1600x1200 85HZ working, through HDMI however it does not allow me to select any of these resolutions that I set up in CRU. In the detailed section, and the normal section.

I'm trying to figure out what I may be doing wrong. I already patched the HDMI, however still having issues. I tried DP 1.1 as well, but the only 1280 × 1024 resolution pops up no matter what resolution I put in.

Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-12-2016, 11:08 PM
(01-12-2016 09:33 PM)Aeather Wrote:  Thanks for the tool, however I do not understand how to use it all the way. The main part I'm confused is the Extension blocks, I use an R9 390 and I'm trying to get 1600x1200 85HZ working, through HDMI however it does not allow me to select any of these resolutions that I set up in CRU. In the detailed section, and the normal section.
AMD's driver listens to the HDMI maximum TMDS clock in the extension block, so you might have to override it with a custom extension block. Just add an HDMI support data block with the default options, or simply import one of these files: hdmi.dat or hdmi-audio.dat if you need audio

Then you shouldn't need the patch with a straight HDMI connection. Also, make sure GPU scaling is disabled or the resolution might not be available.
01-12-2016, 11:10 PM
(01-12-2016 07:52 PM)Larwood Wrote:  I guess what I don't understand is why it wasn't an issue when I was just using an HDMI cable.
That's something only AMD engineers can answer. The hardware is clearly capable because it will work with the pixel clock patch, but the driver won't allow it with a passive adapter. Maybe they want you to use an active adapter.
01-13-2016, 12:24 AM
(01-12-2016 11:08 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(01-12-2016 09:33 PM)Aeather Wrote:  Thanks for the tool, however I do not understand how to use it all the way. The main part I'm confused is the Extension blocks, I use an R9 390 and I'm trying to get 1600x1200 85HZ working, through HDMI however it does not allow me to select any of these resolutions that I set up in CRU. In the detailed section, and the normal section.
AMD's driver listens to the HDMI maximum TMDS clock in the extension block, so you might have to override it with a custom extension block. Just add an HDMI support data block with the default options, or simply import one of these files: hdmi.dat or hdmi-audio.dat if you need audio

Then you shouldn't need the patch with a straight HDMI connection. Also, make sure GPU scaling is disabled or the resolution might not be available.

Using an HDMI to VGA converter.

Whenever I use the displayport, it doesn't add the resolutions either?

Should I just set it on custom extension block, or default? If I use DP? and if its HDMI use the .dat?
01-14-2016, 08:10 PM
(01-13-2016 12:24 AM)Aeather Wrote:  Using an HDMI to VGA converter.

Whenever I use the displayport, it doesn't add the resolutions either?

Should I just set it on custom extension block, or default? If I use DP? and if its HDMI use the .dat?
You didn't say you were using converters. Converters have their own limitations. Did you try the HDMI extension block with the HDMI-VGA converter? That should make the resolution available, but the converter might not be able to handle it properly. I don't have a way to get around limits with DisplayPort converters. The extension block shouldn't matter with DisplayPort.
01-15-2016, 11:02 AM
hi guys.
Why doesn't it work?

i have ASUS VX238h monitor and my video card is Geforce GTX 950. Operating system is WINDOWS 10. and i use NVIDIA Pixel Clock Patcher too.

was tested Custom Resolution Utility, but This does not work for me!

i cant see more refresh rate in MONITOR TAB on setting. why?
i use HDMI.

[Image: http://uupload.ir/files/b8g_sdfsdfdsfs.png]
[Image: http://uupload.ir/files/znll_desssssssssssssssssssssss.jpg]
01-15-2016, 03:08 PM
(01-15-2016 11:02 AM)mer5ad Wrote:  i have ASUS VX238h monitor and my video card is Geforce GTX 950. Operating system is WINDOWS 10. and i use NVIDIA Pixel Clock Patcher too.

was tested Custom Resolution Utility, but This does not work for me!

i cant see more refresh rate in MONITOR TAB on setting. why?
i use HDMI.
I don't know because you didn't show me what you did.

The only reason I can think of is you didn't follow the instructions about the extension block:
(09-07-2012 09:06 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
    • Extension block:
      • NVIDIA users must choose "Custom extension block" for custom resolutions to work properly.

You also shouldn't need the patch when using HDMI with a GTX 950:
(09-07-2012 09:06 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
  • Some monitor/GPU combinations can bypass the 165 MHz HDMI limit without patching the driver by importing one of these extension block files:
01-16-2016, 11:40 PM (Last edited: 01-16-2016, 11:45 PM by pZombie)
Hi ToastyX,

I am using the 144hz capable ASUS ROG pg278q with two 7970 AMD cards in CF. Of course i cannot use G-sync or ULMB with those AMD cards. The reason i bought the monitor back then is because it was the only one with 144hz and a nice resolution of 2560x1440@144hz. It connects over a displayport cable.

The problem i have is that all 15.xx and newer AMD drivers do not allow to run this monitor at 144hz anymore but limit it to 120hz.

With a little bit of pain, i can manage to install the 14.11.2beta driver on windows 10 which works just fine at 144hz with some rare crashes when switching refresh rates, but i don't need to, so it's OK.
However, windows 10 is a pain in the ass, forcing driver updates with every new system update, and so it's quite a bore having to install the old driver every time again, plus i might be missing some important bug fixes/new features.

I think this cannot be fixed with the CRU utility because i read a post where you said that it does not do anything for the Display port. Is that true?
I actually tried to set a custom 144hz resolution with it, but my monitor told me that it was out of range, so i had to F8 my way back.

So my question would be. Is there any way to force the newer 15.xx drivers to identify my monitor as 144hz instead of 120hz? Maybe some registry entry? Maybe copy something from the old 14.11.2 beta driver over which works perfectly fine at 144hz?
Or maybe edit the driver itself?

I wrote on the AMD forum about it, sent them an email, used their special form and it has been several months but they do not seem to care much or have other reasons they decided to limit this monitor to 120hz ( i read a lot of people had flicker problems at 144hz which i did not)
01-17-2016, 02:48 AM
(01-16-2016 11:40 PM)pZombie Wrote:  The problem i have is that all 15.xx and newer AMD drivers do not allow to run this monitor at 144hz anymore but limit it to 120hz.
I think AMD started limiting low horizontal blanking/totals, probably because some video cards don't handle them well, which is why some people were getting flickering.

Try this:
[Image: 2560x1440-144hz.png]

(01-16-2016 11:40 PM)pZombie Wrote:  I think this cannot be fixed with the CRU utility because i read a post where you said that it does not do anything for the Display port. Is that true?
CRU works fine with DisplayPort monitors. The pixel clock patcher does nothing for DisplayPort, but you shouldn't need it for this.
01-17-2016, 05:56 AM (Last edited: 01-17-2016, 06:11 AM by pZombie)
(01-17-2016 02:48 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(01-16-2016 11:40 PM)pZombie Wrote:  The problem i have is that all 15.xx and newer AMD drivers do not allow to run this monitor at 144hz anymore but limit it to 120hz.
I think AMD started limiting low horizontal blanking/totals, probably because some video cards don't handle them well, which is why some people were getting flickering.

Try this:
[Image: 2560x1440-144hz.png]

(01-16-2016 11:40 PM)pZombie Wrote:  I think this cannot be fixed with the CRU utility because i read a post where you said that it does not do anything for the Display port. Is that true?
CRU works fine with DisplayPort monitors. The pixel clock patcher does nothing for DisplayPort, but you shouldn't need it for this.

Thanks for the quick reply,

I went on to install the newest drivers again and test it (crimson 16.1) and at first i thought it worked.

Clicked add under detailed resolutions, entered the values you mentioned and deleted the old 59.950hz value. Then i hit ok.

After i clicked restart64.exe and the "out of range" box on a black screen did not appear this time. But when i checked under display adapter properties/list all modes it was at 120hz still with no 144hz resolution available at all.
So i also checked my monitor information, showing it was indeed 120hz still.

I decided to try a system restart, because it seemed weird that i did not get the "out of range" box on my monitor this time.
Unfortunately, i got the "out of range" box when windows booted up Big Grin , ending up having to do a safe boot and go back to the old driver (luckily safe boot worked now, unlike back in the win 10 beta)

Maybe i am not using your utility properly. Not sure. But my guess is that they made it really really hard to bypass their driver.