Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
06-14-2016, 10:52 PM (Last edited: 06-15-2016, 12:30 AM by CRTFTW)
removing unwanted refresh rates
So AMD or Windows is automatically adding extra refresh rates to some of my resolutions. Is there a way to remove those modes?

Like I added 1366x1024@60hz with CRU, but then when I look at the resolution in games or display settings, I see that 85hz is also available. If I select 85hz, my display will scale to the next highest resolution which has a 85hz mode in CRU (in my case, 1440x1080@85hz) so I get a blurry picture. To compound this problem, some games always select my highest available framerate, so I both a blurry picture and a framerate I don't want.

EDIT: I realized that it's only the refresh rate in the first slot in "detailed settings", and subsequently is labeled the recommended resolution, that gets applied to all other lower resolutions. In my case it is 1440x1080@85hz so everything lower than that gets an 85hz mode (and are actually just upscaled to 1440x1080 if there isn't an explicit 85hz mode for the resolution in CRU). Anybody know of way to stop that from happening?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-15-2016, 07:36 PM (Last edited: 06-15-2016, 07:37 PM by Axejess)
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
I am using this program for years and it has been working great until recently. I think after some nvidia/or windows driver update I got the following issue:
If I start windows I see my custom resolution (90hz) wich I setup in cru on the nvidia panel.
However if I go to my monitor properties I only see 59+60 hz.
If I do the driver restart.exe then suddenly the refreshrate is also there on my monitor properties.
It's like the monitor readout is wrong when i boot windows. If I take a look at the supported res my custom ones isn't there. When i use the restart driver it does appear as well.

I use 2 gtx780- in sli (no sli same issue) with the nvidia patch (not full one but i did tried that)
Windows 10 x64
overlord oc monitor using generic pnp monitor in win10.

I tried removing the cru setting/nvidia drivers/ (with ddu) and reinstalled it all from 0.
Still same issue.

Yes I can restart the driver automatic after every reboot but then I have to reset my oc setting on the gpu's like voltage and stuff.

Really odd problem but maybe someone has an idea how to solve this or how to fool windows to read it correctly after each reboot without needing to using the restartx64.exe

Thanks
06-16-2016, 03:38 PM
(06-15-2016 07:36 PM)Axejess Wrote:  I am using this program for years and it has been working great until recently. I think after some nvidia/or windows driver update I got the following issue:
If I start windows I see my custom resolution (90hz) wich I setup in cru on the nvidia panel.
However if I go to my monitor properties I only see 59+60 hz.
If I do the driver restart.exe then suddenly the refreshrate is also there on my monitor properties.
It's like the monitor readout is wrong when i boot windows. If I take a look at the supported res my custom ones isn't there. When i use the restart driver it does appear as well.
Did you make sure to choose "Custom extension block"? Don't use "No extension block" because what you described is exactly what happens because of an NVIDIA driver bug if GeForce Experience is installed.
06-16-2016, 03:56 PM (Last edited: 06-18-2016, 11:10 AM by Axejess)
(06-16-2016 03:38 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  Did you make sure to choose "Custom extension block"? Don't use "No extension block" because what you described is exactly what happens because of an NVIDIA driver bug if GeForce Experience is installed.

Yeah i did choose custom extensions block. If i don't I also wont see the new hz setting in nvc. But even when my monitor pnp says 59-60 I do see my own setting in nvc. I haven't added a extra custom setting in nvc.

And no it isn't GeForce Experience what's causing the problem.
Uninstalled it. Resetted the settings. Problem still there after reboot (only 59-60hz) nvc i do see my custom 90hz. When I use the restartx64.exe it shows on the monitor properties.

Also tried deleting samsung magician. disabled all start-up items. Gone back to a windows restore point from 3 weeks ago.

I am missing something but what.
For now I created a scheduled task that runs restartx64.exe after a logon after 5sec wait. And 5 sec later it runs my oc gpu program so I don't forget to reset my own voltage.

Edit reinstalled windows and all programs. Now it's working. So it seems there was something wrong on my old windows install.
06-16-2016, 03:57 PM
(06-14-2016 10:52 PM)CRTFTW Wrote:  So AMD or Windows is automatically adding extra refresh rates to some of my resolutions. Is there a way to remove those modes?

Like I added 1366x1024@60hz with CRU, but then when I look at the resolution in games or display settings, I see that 85hz is also available. If I select 85hz, my display will scale to the next highest resolution which has a 85hz mode in CRU (in my case, 1440x1080@85hz) so I get a blurry picture. To compound this problem, some games always select my highest available framerate, so I both a blurry picture and a framerate I don't want.

EDIT: I realized that it's only the refresh rate in the first slot in "detailed settings", and subsequently is labeled the recommended resolution, that gets applied to all other lower resolutions. In my case it is 1440x1080@85hz so everything lower than that gets an 85hz mode (and are actually just upscaled to 1440x1080 if there isn't an explicit 85hz mode for the resolution in CRU). Anybody know of way to stop that from happening?
The driver automatically propagates higher refresh rates down to lower resolutions as scaled resolutions. I don't know if there's a way to stop that. It should be doing that for all resolutions, not just the first detailed resolution. If it's only affecting the first detailed resolution, you should be able to set the lowest refresh rate as the first detailed resolution to avoid that.
06-16-2016, 03:59 PM
(06-13-2016 02:39 AM)drummer4christ81 Wrote:  When I set my Laptop from 1600 x 1200 (6:10) to 1600 x 1080 (6:9) my screen looks like this.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tuvpa6t8op9b16...n.jpg?dl=0

What am I doing wrong?
Laptop displays don't have scalers, so they can only handle the native resolution. You have to enable GPU scaling for lower resolutions to work properly.
06-16-2016, 04:21 PM
(06-05-2016 09:38 AM)ashlar Wrote:  I'm afraid I don't understand. In Windows, with regular drivers, I have both 23 and 24 in the list. And they both exist independently. madVR is capable of selecting one or the other. At least, this is how I remember it before installing and using CRU. Am I remembering wrong?
23 Hz and 24 Hz are supposed to be aliases, not separate refresh rates: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2006076

You might be able to create separate refresh rates using the NVIDIA control panel, but not with CRU. You can use CRU to remove the original refresh rates so they don't interfere with the custom ones.
06-16-2016, 04:22 PM
(06-05-2016 10:55 AM)hannes69 Wrote:  
Quote:Windows doesn't have a way to list both.
No.
I have AMD Crimson driver 16.5.3 which has the ability to create custom resolutions. In the category "base mode" I have to enter horizontal/vertical resolution, refresh rate, interlaced/progressiv and timing standard. In the category detailed timings I can enter the porches.
The interesting thing is: You can enter what you want at "refresh rate" and this naming is then taken by Windows.
I can e.g. create 2 custom resolutions 47.952Hz and 48.000Hz (in my setup they are actually a little bit smaller so the 48.000Hz becomes a 47.999xxxxHz refresh rate) and call them "47" and "48". In Windows they appear now with these names in the listing of supported resolutions. ThereĀ“s no plausibility check, if I want, I can call them "46" and "41".
That's using a driver-specific method. CRU uses EDID overrides, so it doesn't have control over that. 47.952 Hz will round up to 48 Hz, and Windows doesn't have a way to list two 48 Hz refresh rates.
06-18-2016, 03:29 AM
(06-16-2016 03:57 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(06-14-2016 10:52 PM)CRTFTW Wrote:  snip
The driver automatically propagates higher refresh rates down to lower resolutions as scaled resolutions. I don't know if there's a way to stop that. It should be doing that for all resolutions, not just the first detailed resolution. If it's only affecting the first detailed resolution, you should be able to set the lowest refresh rate as the first detailed resolution to avoid that.

Yep, that's basically what's going on. I ended up just setting my custom 1024x768@125 mode as the first detailed resolution, and now all my higher resolutions are fine.

Thanks again man, as one of the last CRT holdouts, your tool has made my experience a lot better. Like I'm pretty sure I'm the only person on planet earth playing Street Fighter 5 at 2176x1224, and it looks gorgeous!
06-22-2016, 07:11 PM
First of all thanks for the great tool ToastyX!

I have a question, sry if it was already asked in this 212 pages slong thread, if so just link me the answer Big Grin

My question is regarding the timing:
With the "native" timing I can reach max 66Hz@1080p@163.35Mhz (I dont want to patch the GPU drivers yet).
With the "standard" timing I can go up to 71Hz@1080p@164.96Mhz.
So what are the pros and cons of these timings and what are they there for?
Is there a disadvantage using the "standard" timing which woudl allow me to go up to 71Hz without patching the driver?

I also read somwhere when using the Nvidia control center I don't need to patch driver because it automaticly overlocks the pixel clock?

Edit: Something else just caught my eye.
In the Nvidia control panel it doesn't say HDMI anymore but DVI.
Is this normal?

Regards Magicool