Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
07-10-2013, 01:53 AM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(07-10-2013 12:25 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(07-10-2013 12:08 AM)tlaroze Wrote:  Thanks for the reply. I added 1680x1050 @ 60 Hz as the first detailed resolution and deleted all others. There was only one other in detailed resolutions (1280x1024 @ 60.019 Hz) and two in standard resolutions (1280x1024 (5:4) @ 60 Hz and 1152x864 (4:3) @ 75 Hz.) I did not check the Include extension block box. After rebooting and getting to the Starting Windows screen I am left with a black screen. The monitor doesn't go into sleep mode so I assume there is some output to the monitor but I cannot see anything. All I can do is a hard restart then boot into safe mode and reset all displays.
Try "CRT standard" instead. Some older monitors might need that.

I tried "CRT standard and also "LCD reduced." Still no luck. I get the same black screen every time. I guess it's possible I changed something while playing around with PowerStrip last night although I don't remember changing anything. I tried to look in PowerStrip and for some reason I can't even get it to open anymore.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-12-2013, 01:26 AM
PowerStrip uses its own driver to talk to the video card directly. If you uninstall PowerStrip and it still doesn't work, then it sounds like something is wrong with the monitor, especially considering it's reporting the wrong EDID. If you can get it working with an NVIDIA card, find out what settings it's using and try copying those over. It might be the same as what it's using for 1280x1024. If you run reset-all.exe and reboot, that will bring the original settings back. Try changing the 1280x1024 @ 60 Hz detailed resolution to 1680x1050 without changing any other settings.
07-12-2013, 03:29 AM (Last edited: 07-12-2013, 08:31 PM by tlaroze)
I now have the monitor hooked to my laptop with the Nvidia chip. I downloaded CRU onto this computer to try and get the settings for 1680x1050. Funny thing is that resolution isn't listed yet I am using that resolution right now. Two monitor actually show as active. Acer AL1714 with detailed resolution of 1280x1024 and generic PnP monitor with two detailed resolutions both of which are the same (1366x768.) I also just realized that it seems I didn't use Nvidia control panel to set a custom resolution, it was Intel graphics as this laptop has switchable graphics. I didn't see any option to set a custom resolution with Intel Graphics 4600 on my new computer. Since I am able to get 1680x1050 with Intel Graphics 4600 using a VGA cable I am hoping I can do the same with the AMD card. I do have to unplug and plug repeatedly to get that resolution though. The only problem is that I don't have a DVI to VGA adapter yet but I have one ordered and should be here in a few days. Also I did try changing the 1280x1024 to 1680x1050 in manual while leaving other settings alone and got a black screen again. I guess just buying a new monitor would be the easy thing to do but the fact that I have 1680x1050 resolution while hooked to this laptop kinda makes me want to keep digging haha.

Also I don't if this makes any difference but if I add 1680x1050 as the 2nd detailed resolution should it load the first at startup then I should be able to change it to 1680x1050 in Catalyst Control Panel? I tried adding 1680x1050 as the 2nd detailed resolution and the next time as the 3rd standard resolution and every time I still get the black screen at startup.
07-14-2013, 03:54 PM
something interesting occurs here: i have just installed nvidia 326.01 drivers for my titan on this catleap. If I use CRU, after creating custom res and applying and rebooting, i get extra "top" of my screen showing up underneath my start bar. (kind of like how when we used to have old crt tvs and the signal came in funky and you'd get an extra bit of the picture repeated at the top or bottom of the screen.) but, if just go into nvidia control panel and create a custom res, everything is fine. not sure why this is happening (and i've got the workaround), but it seems repeatable, so just thought i'd put it out there.
07-15-2013, 12:17 AM
The Catleap only does that if the resolution is wrong. It needs to be 2560x1440, not 2560x1400.
07-15-2013, 02:49 AM
(04-26-2013 08:14 AM)Shenanigans Wrote:  Problem is that every time I add custom resolutions with CRU, after reboot, the monitor does not show up in device manager, the "my digital flat panels" option dissapears from AMD control center, and my resolution is just stuck cannot change it(usually at 1680x1050 because this is what I usually try adding), and the refresh rate is still either 60, or in some cases nothing is displayed there. Also, if I open CRU the monitor is no longer displayed as active, as it was before adding the resolutions and rebooting. I want to add that this happens for any custom resolution I try to add with CRU.

Same exact issue is happening to me with my LG L227WTG LCD display and AMD HD 7870 video card on Win 7 x64.

I'm able to temporarily work around the problem by unplugging the DVI cable for about 10 seconds or so and then plugging it back in, but I have to repeat this process any time I reboot or wake my PC from sleep.

I've run the catalyst clean-up utility and reinstalled the latest drivers, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Oddly I didn't encounter this problem when using another (newer) LCD when I was testing this program out a couple days ago, but I've since reformatted this PC and switched to my current LG display instead (which is exhibiting this issue).
07-17-2013, 04:23 AM
Will CRU support switchable graphics anytime soon? I would gladly donate is there is any hope for this to work in the future. I have AMD/Intel HD 4k atm, and I just cant get 1080p100 to work, but it did work with my Nvidia/Intel HD 4k configuration through hdmi -> dvi-adapter and then DVI-D duallink into my Acer GD245HQ.

Any toughts ToastyX?
07-17-2013, 05:52 PM
I've been experimenting with my HDTV some more and have discovered that if I don't use CRU to modify the EDID, the monitor can go past 165MHz clock rate. The reason I use CRU however, is because there's an issue with this TV when it comes to switching between HDTV resolutions and normal ones(shows up as crushed colors which gets fixed by pressing the menu button twice).

My question is, where does the EDID specify that the monitor supports higher than 165MHz clock rates? The TV is connected to HDMI which supports up to 330MHz I believe. The driver currently thinks that my monitor is connected through DVI.

By looking through MonInfo and EDIDs from different monitors, I see a section which says dual-link DVI support but is there any field for high speed HDMI support?
07-19-2013, 01:14 PM
(07-17-2013 05:52 PM)Mangix Wrote:  My question is, where does the EDID specify that the monitor supports higher than 165MHz clock rates? The TV is connected to HDMI which supports up to 330MHz I believe. The driver currently thinks that my monitor is connected through DVI.
NVIDIA's driver doesn't use any limit information. It only uses the information in the extension block to differentiate between DVI and HDMI. The problem is you're using a DVI/HDMI adapter on a dual-link DVI port, so when you disable the extension block, it treats the connection like DVI and tries to send a dual-link signal over a single-link connection, so the TV only gets half the picture. The patch is supposed to get around that. I don't know why that isn't working for you.

The simplest solution is to use the HDMI port on your video card. Otherwise, you will have to craft an extension block that makes the driver think it's HDMI. I'm not sure what information it uses to determine that.

(07-17-2013 04:23 AM)billsjo Wrote:  Will CRU support switchable graphics anytime soon? I would gladly donate is there is any hope for this to work in the future. I have AMD/Intel HD 4k atm, and I just cant get 1080p100 to work, but it did work with my Nvidia/Intel HD 4k configuration through hdmi -> dvi-adapter and then DVI-D duallink into my Acer GD245HQ.
It's not likely to happen in the near future. Intel's driver doesn't support the EDID override mechanism used by CRU to add custom resolutions, and Intel's SDK is not publicly available, so I don't have access to an Intel-specific method either. Even if I did, the program would need to work differently to be able to support an Intel-specific method, and there might be driver limitations that need to be patched, especially for what you're trying to do. I also don't have an Intel system to test this on.

(07-15-2013 02:49 AM)Elysium Wrote:  Same exact issue is happening to me with my LG L227WTG LCD display and AMD HD 7870 video card on Win 7 x64.

I'm able to temporarily work around the problem by unplugging the DVI cable for about 10 seconds or so and then plugging it back in, but I have to repeat this process any time I reboot or wake my PC from sleep.
I don't know why that's happening to some people because I've never seen it happen. It seems to be an AMD-specific driver issue, but I don't know how to trigger it, so I don't know how to work around it. What does the device manager show for the monitor when that happens?

(07-12-2013 03:29 AM)tlaroze Wrote:  Also I don't if this makes any difference but if I add 1680x1050 as the 2nd detailed resolution should it load the first at startup then I should be able to change it to 1680x1050 in Catalyst Control Panel? I tried adding 1680x1050 as the 2nd detailed resolution and the next time as the 3rd standard resolution and every time I still get the black screen at startup.
There's no guarantee it will start at any particular resolution. Usually Windows will start with the last used resolution if available, or the native resolution if none was set. The highest resolution should be listed as the first detailed resolution to make it the native resolution.
07-19-2013, 09:42 PM (Last edited: 07-19-2013, 09:43 PM by Elysium)
(07-19-2013 01:14 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  I don't know why that's happening to some people because I've never seen it happen. It seems to be an AMD-specific driver issue, but I don't know how to trigger it, so I don't know how to work around it. What does the device manager show for the monitor when that happens?

The device manager doesn't list a monitor at all when this occurs, but if I unplug / plug the DVI cable back in the monitor will show up in the device manager within the first few tries and everything will work fine after that (at least until I reboot or wake my PC).

I spent some extra time troubleshooting this today with two LCD monitors and both AMD / NVIDIA cards. With the NVIDIA card (8800 GT) everything works fine, I can use CRU to set the custom refresh rates that I want and after rebooting there is no problem with either monitor. With the AMD card (HD 7870) only one monitor works without issue (ViewSonic VP2365wb), but my other older monitor that I wish to use (LG L227WTG) experiences the problem.