Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
08-25-2016, 02:23 AM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(08-24-2016 07:50 PM)sennyG Wrote:  After carefully following every step, the new refresh rate does not appear on the monitor tab. I already know it can go up to 76hz because I already tried overclocking with the nvidia control panel, but for some reason a few games would not recognize the overclocked refresh rate and decided to overclock with CRU because it does things better apparently. There's an ''(active)**" after my monitor. I'm guessing I need to run the pixel clock patcher for it work?

Off-topic:
After using CRU and restarting my machine, my HDMI cable is being recognized as a DVI in the nvidia control panel. I downloaded the newest drivers for my gpu and it still does that.
HDMI support is mentioned in the notes in the first post. Either add an HDMI support data block in the custom extension block, or import one of the .dat files listed in the notes. This will also bypass the 165 MHz pixel clock limit without needing the patcher, which should allow 76 Hz to work.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-25-2016, 02:29 AM
(08-21-2016 07:02 AM)darkemaster Wrote:  Hello, does anyone know what settings I should have to set resolution at 4k on a 390 since it is seemingly not supported with VSR? I have not been able to find anything recent about this tbh.
For 3840x2160, usually "LCD standard" will work with monitors and "LCD native" will work with TVs. Keep in mind that CRU doesn't deal with scaled resolutions, so the display must support the resolution.
08-26-2016, 07:48 PM
Hi ToastyX.
I just overclocked my MSI whitebook laptop with a GeForce 570m and it ran at 100hz successfully. I tried 120hz, but it looked like it was running in 8 bit color with pixels sparkling Smile

Laptop panel is CMO1720.
My god, I should have done this 4 years ago... I hated gaming on this laptop because I hate 60hz unless its' strobed
08-28-2016, 02:52 AM (Last edited: 08-28-2016, 02:56 AM by scy1192)
Just wondering, what algorithm do you use to determine the correct values? I've noticed that none of the standards (CVT, GTF, DMT) that I can use in the NVidia Control Panel spit out the same numbers, and yours always works better (fewer artifacts) with my QX2710 so I just set it to manual and copy the numbers over.
08-31-2016, 01:20 AM
(08-28-2016 02:52 AM)scy1192 Wrote:  Just wondering, what algorithm do you use to determine the correct values? I've noticed that none of the standards (CVT, GTF, DMT) that I can use in the NVidia Control Panel spit out the same numbers, and yours always works better (fewer artifacts) with my QX2710 so I just set it to manual and copy the numbers over.
"LCD standard" should be the same as "CVT reduced blank" except for TV resolutions like 1920x1080 @ 60 Hz, which uses the CEA standard because that's more common (even with computer monitors).

"LCD native" just uses the 60 Hz "LCD standard" timing parameters for all refresh rates. This works better when adding higher refresh rates with some LCD monitors and TVs. This is also what is filled in by default when clicking the "Add..." button.

"LCD reduced" uses non-standard timing parameters to reduce the pixel clock for certain resolutions by reducing the totals. For example, it will keep 1920x1080 @ 72-77 Hz under the 165 MHz pixel clock limit for single-link DVI using timing parameters that I've found work with many LCD monitors.

"CRT standard" should be the same as the "CVT" standard. It is mostly useful for CRT monitors, and it also works for adding lower resolutions with LCD monitors.

"GTF" isn't included in CRU, although I did write the code for it. It is an old standard that has been replaced by the CVT standard.

"DMT" doesn't make sense as a timing option because the DMT standard only defines timing parameters for specific resolutions and refresh rates. "LCD standard" uses the DMT standard for 1360x768 @ 60 Hz and 1366x768 @ 60 Hz because those are common with LCD monitors and TVs, and the DMT standard for 1920x1080 @ 60 Hz is the same as the CEA standard.
08-31-2016, 09:36 PM
Just wanted to post here with a few things as i've been using your software for almost a year now and never said thanks.
Thank you firstly for the software, very helpful.

I've owned plenty of monitors in the past, and there seems to be this odd number of refresh rates on just about everything.

I've had acer monitors that show as 59.9hz on Deus Ex and games that let you pick resolutions and all sorts, Asus ones too.

ATM i run a X34 Predator, using a 60hz CRU setting.
However i've noticed, but cant reproduce this in testing (unless its exactly what im thinking) sometimes i have to reset64 the drivers again to the CRU settings in order to get the games to run smoothly again, i think its if i turn my monitor off overnight whilst i download games and when i turn it back on in the morning, i go to play Watch Dogs @ half refresh vsync (30fps) combined with a Rivatuner 30fps lock and it will stutter randomly (Almost as if Vsync was out of allignment sorta stutter) but then resetting the graphics drivers with restart64 fixes it.

Not sure if turning my monitor off overnight messes around with CRUs settings? But thats the only conclusion i can come to, i've tested all other ways, if i reboot my pc whilst its acting stuttery and play it again it'll act the same all the way until i restart64 so i'm not sure.
09-03-2016, 10:39 PM (Last edited: 09-03-2016, 10:40 PM by cskhola)
Hi everyone,
I'm using the QX2414 as an external monitor, running a DVI-D cable to a miniDP adaptor into my laptop, running on Nvidia GTX970M. I am trying to get the laptop to run at 144hz, I dont mind the lower quality. I am unable to find the driver specifically for qx2414, only qx2710. I installed it, ran the pixel patcher, only then I could see the 144 hz option in nvidia control panel and in the monitors tab. Under devices, the screen is labelled as 'generic pnp monitor' before I installed the driver
However I am still unable to get the monitor to run 144 hz, everytime i select the 144hz either in the NVIDIA control panel or under display setttings>display adaptor properties>monitor it will just zip to black, show the sign 'no signal' then go back to 60hz. NVIDIA drivers are all updated, I've even disabled digital signing to install the qnix.inf file that was provided and got the monitor to change its name to 'qnix 2710'. I'm only displaying on the external monitor but CRU shows two options on the drop down bar, one is LGD046F generic pnp monitor (active) , the other is MST 2403-dvi(active) *.
I'm really at a lost as to what to do. Appreciate any and all help!
Thanks
09-04-2016, 02:45 AM
(09-03-2016 10:39 PM)cskhola Wrote:  I'm using the QX2414 as an external monitor, running a DVI-D cable to a miniDP adaptor into my laptop, running on Nvidia GTX970M. I am trying to get the laptop to run at 144hz, I dont mind the lower quality. I am unable to find the driver specifically for qx2414, only qx2710. I installed it, ran the pixel patcher, only then I could see the 144 hz option in nvidia control panel and in the monitors tab. Under devices, the screen is labelled as 'generic pnp monitor' before I installed the driver
However I am still unable to get the monitor to run 144 hz, everytime i select the 144hz either in the NVIDIA control panel or under display setttings>display adaptor properties>monitor it will just zip to black, show the sign 'no signal' then go back to 60hz.
What adapter are you using? You need to use an active dual-link DVI adapter. Even then, you might not be able to get 144 Hz, but 120 Hz should be possible.

(09-03-2016 10:39 PM)cskhola Wrote:  NVIDIA drivers are all updated, I've even disabled digital signing to install the qnix.inf file that was provided and got the monitor to change its name to 'qnix 2710'.
That qnix.inf file is for a completely different monitor with a different resolution. You shouldn't need an .inf file if the monitor supports 144 Hz natively.

(09-03-2016 10:39 PM)cskhola Wrote:  I'm only displaying on the external monitor but CRU shows two options on the drop down bar, one is LGD046F generic pnp monitor (active) , the other is MST 2403-dvi(active) *.
What did you change in CRU?
09-04-2016, 02:46 AM
(08-31-2016 09:36 PM)Mxoagn Wrote:  ATM i run a X34 Predator, using a 60hz CRU setting.
However i've noticed, but cant reproduce this in testing (unless its exactly what im thinking) sometimes i have to reset64 the drivers again to the CRU settings in order to get the games to run smoothly again, i think its if i turn my monitor off overnight whilst i download games and when i turn it back on in the morning, i go to play Watch Dogs @ half refresh vsync (30fps) combined with a Rivatuner 30fps lock and it will stutter randomly (Almost as if Vsync was out of allignment sorta stutter) but then resetting the graphics drivers with restart64 fixes it.

Not sure if turning my monitor off overnight messes around with CRUs settings? But thats the only conclusion i can come to, i've tested all other ways, if i reboot my pc whilst its acting stuttery and play it again it'll act the same all the way until i restart64 so i'm not sure.
If a problem goes away after running restart64.exe, that would indicate a driver issue. What video card do you have?
09-04-2016, 11:44 PM (Last edited: 09-06-2016, 01:58 AM by cskhola)
Had no idea there were 'active' and 'passive' adaptors. Looks like the guy at harvey norman didnt know either LOL. I've been googling for some active adaptors, should I be worried about the maximum bandwidth/chipset in the cable at all? Cause some cables are 10 bucks, some are almost a 100. I did not touch anything in CRU, so i think currently this might be the problem, this cable is definitely a passive one.
Edit: does this sound like it can support 144hz?
Volans (VL-AMDPD) Active Mini DisplayPort (V1.2) to DVI M-F Converter with 4K Support
Compliant with the DisplayPort Standard, Version 1.1a and 1.2
Support DisplayPort 1, 2 and 4 lanes
Support full link training
HDMI 1.4 compliant with maximum data rate 3.0 Gbps
Content protection of HDCP 1.3 for DisplayPort and HDMI
Support 4K x 2K and 1080P Stereo 3D HDMI formats
Support Eyefiniy
Edit 2:
Looks like even with the active adaptor it didnt work, I did not change any settings on CRU, only listing the options that have 'active' beside them.
Edit 3:
Used CRU to add a 120hz option, tried setting the refresh rate to all options, none worked. Used reset-all command, now screen turns on (light at button changes to blue) but wont display anything. Currently reinstalling nvidia driver to see if it works.
Edit 4:
Before when i plugged it the active adaptor, nvidia registered it as 'digital display' instead of 'dvi'.
Apparently the monitor couldnt display 144 hz so i had to change the resolution from my laptop screen back to 60 so it would display on the monitor. That being said, I could change the resolution on my laptop screen up to 144hz and it still displayed, not sure what that is about.
Thanks toasty!