Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
09-29-2016, 10:02 AM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(08-13-2016 07:34 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(08-12-2016 05:00 PM)Cross-Flow Wrote:  Done Blush
The extension block has a vendor-specific data block with AMD's vendor ID. Since it's not publicly documented, I don't know what all the bytes mean, but it seems to have the FreeSync range in there. CRU doesn't have a way to edit the data block directly, but it can import hex data from text files.

I formatted the .txt file to group the data blocks and resolutions:

Look for this line:
68 1a 00 00 01 01 28 4b 00

Hex 28 = 40
Hex 4b = 75

Try changing those numbers (30-75 Hz would be 1e 4b). Then import the text file using CRU.

Thank you very much for your work! What is the number for 72 Hz? And could you post a list with all relevant Numbers like from 48Hz down to 30Hz? Or can you explain how i know the right number for the right Hz?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-29-2016, 04:19 PM
(09-29-2016 10:02 AM)SofMaz Wrote:  Thank you very much for your work! What is the number for 72 Hz? And could you post a list with all relevant Numbers like from 48Hz down to 30Hz? Or can you explain how i know the right number for the right Hz?
I just released a new preview version that can edit the FreeSync range data block: https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Threa...preview-P2

Just import the file and edit the FreeSync range data block in the extension block.
09-30-2016, 11:20 AM
Hi there, Finland here

First off, ToastyX, thank you for engaged and world class game on all these displays. You're exactly the kind of person who it's worth regging and logging on forums for. (So, first post, too.)

So on to my question; I treated myself for a new 4k75Hz 48" TV and a HTC Vive for my bday. Sadly, it's been nothing but a hassle. Coming here, I thought it to be a good idea to force my TV (given HDMI 2.0 specs, 600HZ rate, the works according to the box. Brand Procaster mod.# 48UNB700) to just give the damn 4k60 pic already. Soo ran cru.exe, also the high speed ati patch, but just didn't get above 40Hz. This was with a high speed 50€ hdmi cable --> "oh, it's a bandwidth thing" --> 3D Club DP-HDMI 2.0 adapter, onto "oh so 15gbps" 80€ HDMI 2.0 cable - which just gave a worse picture, blinking with mostly dark, loads of artefactsSad
Giving insult to injury, as I had the Vive headset connected but not yet installed, cru.exe did 'something' to it, breaking SteamVR into a garbling crashing mess just to start with.
In a fit of desperation, I deleted all unplugged USB devices, deep cleaned latest radeon drivers totally with DDU, twice cleaned registry with CCleaner and also cleaned normally, twice. Uninstalled and deleted anything remotely related to steam and steamvr, and started anew. Yay for green light on headset, drivers installed, Vive installed but lo and behold, it demands, on every bootup, the initiating procedures from scratch and not recognising more than one hand-controller.

Going on two weeks now, I've come to conclude that atleast the Vives edid somehow has been altered by cru.exe, into what SteamVR does not recognise properly. Can this be reversed? Am I even right?

Also, no clue anymore on why the signal worsened from pc to tv. Atm, I have started everything AGAIN from absolute beginning, just installed the Radeon drivers and will try to patch for high speed with your tool.

This is all I have left to do before having to give up. Any help with this so far useless 1.5k€ bday gift would be more appreciated than anything in a long time. I don't even remember when I last would've regged to a forum like this - been plying and poking with pc's for 31 years and going.

Thanks
09-30-2016, 05:02 PM
(09-30-2016 11:20 AM)NickV Wrote:  So on to my question; I treated myself for a new 4k75Hz 48" TV and a HTC Vive for my bday. Sadly, it's been nothing but a hassle. Coming here, I thought it to be a good idea to force my TV (given HDMI 2.0 specs, 600HZ rate, the works according to the box. Brand Procaster mod.# 48UNB700) to just give the damn 4k60 pic already. Soo ran cru.exe, also the high speed ati patch, but just didn't get above 40Hz. This was with a high speed 50€ hdmi cable --> "oh, it's a bandwidth thing" --> 3D Club DP-HDMI 2.0 adapter, onto "oh so 15gbps" 80€ HDMI 2.0 cable - which just gave a worse picture, blinking with mostly dark, loads of artefactsSad
What video card do you have? Only the RX-series cards support HDMI 2.0 directly. For other cards, you need to use the DP-HDMI 2.0 adapter. The patch would not help with this. Make sure you are not using CRU or the patch with the adapter. If you're still getting artifacts, then either the adapter is faulty, or the cable is not as good as it claims.

If you want to try CRU with HDMI 2.0, you need to add an HDMI support data block AND an HDMI 2.0 support data block in the extension block with the new preview version of CRU: https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Threa...preview-P2

(09-30-2016 11:20 AM)NickV Wrote:  Giving insult to injury, as I had the Vive headset connected but not yet installed, cru.exe did 'something' to it, breaking SteamVR into a garbling crashing mess just to start with.
CRU should not change anything that you didn't change, and even if something did change, you can run reset-all.exe and reboot to remove all EDID overrides. DDU also removes all EDID overrides, and CRU does nothing to the hardware, so something else is going on.

I suggest looking through these articles:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4...nd_tricks/
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_arti...-SDZC-9326
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki...leshooting
10-01-2016, 01:37 PM (Last edited: 10-01-2016, 03:35 PM by NickV)
Thank you brother, now I have something to go on - I will report to here in a short manner, for others potential future reference.

edit; GPU's are 3 x 290 in trifire under water but not OC'd at all.
I'm getting intrigued by all this, so might play around with CRU more once baseline is established. The OLEDs in the Vive are begging for a bit of cru lovin, that's for sure.

editedit; Hardware specs just to be clear are, R9 290 x 3 (in trifire for now). It's become clear that they have HDMI 1.3 native ports and a DisplayPort as addition.
In that, a Club3D active Displayport->HDMI 2.0 adapter is attached, being the only way to cram out the 4k60Hz from the cards. Next up is a Belkin ProHD 4000 HDMI cable; looking closer at the packaging it only says 15.8+ Gbps - not specifically HDMI 2.0. Good enough, yeah? And finally the receiver, which I've double-checked that all HDMI ports are 4k60Hz capable.

editeditedit; the 15.8Gbps isn't enough for 4k60Hz - sending it back and going for products intended for spearhead clown customers. Oh well. Back to fighting with the Vive, for a bit of change.
10-02-2016, 08:26 PM
Has anyone tried this program with the HP ZR2740W, whether Windows 7, 8, 8.1 or 10? HP abandoned support for an otherwise really awesome monitor. Here is a discussion of other users' travails -- http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Vid...793/page/3

TAGS: ZR2740 ZR2740w 2740w 2740 driver native resolution
10-03-2016, 06:45 AM
(10-02-2016 08:26 PM)onix Wrote:  Has anyone tried this program with the HP ZR2740W, whether Windows 7, 8, 8.1 or 10? HP abandoned support for an otherwise really awesome monitor. Here is a discussion of other users' travails -- http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Vid...793/page/3
You shouldn't need to use CRU with the HP ZR2740w. The monitor only supports 2560x1440 @ 60 Hz and 1280x720 @ 60 Hz, both of which should already be defined in the EDID.

Monitors don't need drivers. It should be plug and play. What video card do you have? Are you using DVI or DisplayPort?
10-03-2016, 07:38 AM
(10-03-2016 06:45 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(10-02-2016 08:26 PM)onix Wrote:  Has anyone tried this program with the HP ZR2740W, whether Windows 7, 8, 8.1 or 10? HP abandoned support for an otherwise really awesome monitor. Here is a discussion of other users' travails -- http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Vid...793/page/3
You shouldn't need to use CRU with the HP ZR2740w. The monitor only supports 2560x1440 @ 60 Hz and 1280x720 @ 60 Hz, both of which should already be defined in the EDID.

Monitors don't need drivers. It should be plug and play. What video card do you have? Are you using DVI or DisplayPort?

Thanks for the reply! I have tried DP-to-DP, HDMI-to-DVI, and DP-to-DVI, but even though the OS (in this case Win10) recognizes the model of the display, it does not show anything other than 1280x720 in the pull-down of resolutions. (The thread link I posted shows other people with similar experiences.) I think the driver for Windows is defective. It is v1.0.0 written for Win 7 and then never upgraded. The same monitor works fine DVI-to-DVI on a MacBook Pro with latest OSX.
10-03-2016, 08:40 AM
(10-03-2016 07:38 AM)onix Wrote:  Thanks for the reply! I have tried DP-to-DP, HDMI-to-DVI, and DP-to-DVI, but even though the OS (in this case Win10) recognizes the model of the display, it does not show anything other than 1280x720 in the pull-down of resolutions. (The thread link I posted shows other people with similar experiences.) I think the driver for Windows is defective. It is v1.0.0 written for Win 7 and then never upgraded. The same monitor works fine DVI-to-DVI on a MacBook Pro with latest OSX.
The HP ZR2740w requires DisplayPort or dual-link DVI to get 2560x1440. DP-to-DP should work, but HDMI-to-DVI will not, and DP-to-DVI will not work without an expensive active dual-link adapter.

This is not an issue with the monitor driver. Monitors don't need drivers. This is either a hardware limitation on the computer or a graphics driver issue. I need to know what video card or GPU you have to know for sure. What is listed under "Display adapters" in the Device Manager?

Is the MacBook Pro the same computer you're having the issue on with Windows 10? There hasn't been a dual-link DVI port on a MacBook Pro since 2007, and that model doesn't have DisplayPort or HDMI, so I'm confused about what you have.
10-04-2016, 01:43 AM
(10-03-2016 08:40 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  The HP ZR2740w requires DisplayPort or dual-link DVI to get 2560x1440. DP-to-DP should work, but HDMI-to-DVI will not, and DP-to-DVI will not work without an expensive active dual-link adapter.

This is not an issue with the monitor driver. Monitors don't need drivers. This is either a hardware limitation on the computer or a graphics driver issue. I need to know what video card or GPU you have to know for sure. What is listed under "Display adapters" in the Device Manager?

Is the MacBook Pro the same computer you're having the issue on with Windows 10? There hasn't been a dual-link DVI port on a MacBook Pro since 2007, and that model doesn't have DisplayPort or HDMI, so I'm confused about what you have.

It's quite possible the DP functionality of the monitor does not work at all. I am able to get the full resolution if I use a DVI-to-DVI connection from a MacBook on OSX (no virtual machine).

Two Lnovo laptops with Windows 7 & 10 recognize the name of the monitor in the Device Manager, but when attached to DVI, whether via conversion from DP (with a passive adapter) or via HDMI-to-DVI, the highest selectable resolution is 1280 x 720, like the thread linked in my original post describes. The Lenovo X1 Carbon (gen 4) is using only the native Intel GPU, and a Lenovo T430s has an NVIDIA chip (NVS 5200M). Neither have any luck with higher resolutions on the HP monitor.

I have a docking station for the T430s that has DVI out. I will have to try that out.

Incidentally, I know it is not my DP cable, since I can get it to work with other monitors.