Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
04-15-2017, 02:27 AM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(04-15-2017 01:11 AM)iyyama Wrote:  connected via display port not hdmi, sound worked for a couple of hours though on the 2880 resolution. i realise the text quality is not as good but native resolution is just too small for my purpose.

not sure i understand where to import the audio support file to, i cant even open it.

sorry not very good with computers, thanks
CRU has an "Import..." button in the bottom-left corner. For DisplayPort, import this file: displayport-audio.dat

I need you to run CRU-debug and give me the debug.txt file so I can see where it's failing.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-15-2017, 02:48 AM
(04-14-2017 08:23 PM)ttnuagmada Wrote:  DVI-D. Monitor is an Overlord Temptest x270OC. I can do it fine from the Nvidia custom res options, but I cant use DSR that way. It's weird, the refresh rate wont show up as an option until i put the pixel clock under 450mhz, at which point it shows up.
Sounds like a pixel clock limit with your card. I don't have a card affected by the limit, so I don't know if there's a way around it. You can still get up to 115 Hz with the "LCD reduced" timing option.
04-15-2017, 03:00 AM
(04-15-2017 02:48 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(04-14-2017 08:23 PM)ttnuagmada Wrote:  DVI-D. Monitor is an Overlord Temptest x270OC. I can do it fine from the Nvidia custom res options, but I cant use DSR that way. It's weird, the refresh rate wont show up as an option until i put the pixel clock under 450mhz, at which point it shows up.
Sounds like a pixel clock limit with your card. I don't have a card affected by the limit, so I don't know if there's a way around it. You can still get up to 115 Hz with the "LCD reduced" timing option.

That's strange, as it works fine with Nvidia custom resolutions. Also, wouldn't it simply not work rather than not show up as an option?
04-15-2017, 03:42 AM
(04-15-2017 03:00 AM)ttnuagmada Wrote:  That's strange, as it works fine with Nvidia custom resolutions. Also, wouldn't it simply not work rather than not show up as an option?
No, the resolution won't be available at all if it's a pixel clock limit in the driver. NVIDIA does not apply the same pixel clock limits to the NVIDIA control panel custom resolutions. The driver is more strict with EDID overrides. That's why the pixel clock patch is required beyond 330 MHz pixel clock for CRU and not the NVIDIA control panel.
04-19-2017, 01:50 AM (Last edited: 04-19-2017, 01:55 AM by falkentyne)
ToastyX,

You said that editing the freesync range manually into CRU only works for HDMI ?
What happens if you use it over displayport with a scaler that actually works with freesync officially, but the monitor has no built in support for it on that model?

Example:
Benq XL2540 uses the Realtek 2796BF scaler, which works with freesync. (Note: blur reduction is disabled by default in the service menu).

However the Benq XL2735, a 1440p panel, does not "support" freesync, and has blur reduction (*cough* dyac) enabled by default in the service menu (it can be disabled).
But it uses the exact same scaler as the XL2540 (Realtek 2796BF).

So the scaler is 100% hardware capable of freesync...would the AMD driver enable freesync if it were used over displayport, or only over HDMI?
04-21-2017, 04:49 PM
ToastyX, is there any reason why the CRU Freesync edit won't work over displayport, even if the monitor is capable of supporting freesync?
You said previously that this only works over HDMI.

What happens if you use displayport on a monitor that is hardware capable of freesync but doesn't have it in the EDID?
Or is there some special part of displayport that will stop the extension block from making freesync work?

I'm asking because Benq is up to their usual shenanigans again.
http://www.benq.us/product/gaminggears/xl2546/

Take the XL2540, which supported adaptive sync and 240hz, and which had Blur Reduction disabled in the service menu (meaning normal users wouldn't know how to enable it), rename Blur Reduction as "DyAc", set it to enabled by default in the service menu, then remove freesync, repackage, name it the XL2546 and sell at a premium....

If the XL2540 already works with blur reduction as long as you unlock the service menu, then what is Benq doing here?
How are they "removing" Freesync when the scaler supports it (Realtek 2796BF)?
04-21-2017, 06:32 PM
(04-21-2017 04:49 PM)falkentyne Wrote:  ToastyX, is there any reason why the CRU Freesync edit won't work over displayport, even if the monitor is capable of supporting freesync?
You said previously that this only works over HDMI.

What happens if you use displayport on a monitor that is hardware capable of freesync but doesn't have it in the EDID?
Or is there some special part of displayport that will stop the extension block from making freesync work?
I think DisplayPort requires the monitor to tell the video card that it supports adaptive sync in the signal. There's nothing in the EDID that tells it that. The EDID simply defines the range. You can try adding the range limits, but that might not be enough. HDMI FreeSync is different and uses a vendor-specific data block in the extension block. DisplayPort does not use that data block.
04-22-2017, 05:35 AM
Hey , im having a problem wich could be related to CRU .
http://imgur.com/a/W5u7d (Sorry that it is on spanish)
As you can see it gets locks and i cant change the screen resolution , but also clicking on Display adapter properties and nothing happens , it doesnt open . Also cant launch games at full screen . sorry for my bad english but its hard to explain .
04-22-2017, 06:56 AM (Last edited: 04-22-2017, 06:58 AM by falkentyne)
Thank you for your help, ToastyX. I have a more complicated problem though. Sad

I bought a new laptop, a MSI GT72VR 7RE 7th gen, it has a Geforce 1070 GTX and Kaby lake CPU. It has a mini DP connector.

However when I hooked up my Benq XL2720Z to the mini DP connector, I was unable to create a 120hz custom resolution with these timings: (using your CRU, not using the NV custom resolution utility; I guess I should have tested that too :/)

1920x1080
48/3
32/5
2080 1500
Pixel clock 374.40 mhz.

Well I "created" it but it didn't show up in the Nvidia control panel at all. Not only that, windows advanced adapter settings window didn't even open. The only 120hz option that was working was the one in the extension block (119.xx something) and when I deleted that, only 100hz and 144hz showed up.

I was able to create a 100hz custom resolution with the timings 1920x1080, 48/3, 32/5, HT 2080, VT 1500, Pixel clock 317 MHz and it worked fine.

Is the laptop's mini displayport bandwidth capped at 330 MHz or something? Why wouldn't the custom 120hz resolution show up?
04-22-2017, 08:55 PM
(04-22-2017 06:56 AM)falkentyne Wrote:  Is the laptop's mini displayport bandwidth capped at 330 MHz or something? Why wouldn't the custom 120hz resolution show up?
DisplayPort 1.0/1.1 is limited to 360 MHz with 8-bit color and 480 MHz with 6-bit color. The monitor must support DisplayPort 1.2 and HBR2 (High Bit Rate 2) mode to go higher. You might be able to squeeze in a 1500 vertical total by reducing the horizontal total to 2000 (with the front porch or sync width reduced to accommodate) if the monitor can handle that.