Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
04-28-2017, 09:41 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(04-27-2017 02:31 PM)valsi Wrote:  This program worked for me. Thank you! My game Star Wars the Old Republic was having characters that were stretched or (Fat), out of proportion, and some of the words in the preferences screen were overlapping. I used this utility and all is back to normal. I do have a question though. Do I have to use this program again when I update my video drivers from time to time?
If you do an in-place upgrade, usually no. If you use DDU to uninstall the old driver, it will remove all the monitor information as well. You can use the Import/Export buttons to load/save the configuration to a file.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-29-2017, 07:18 AM
I have Dell U2414H monitor, trying to overclock it but can't be successful.
I'm using DisplayPort cable and have Nvidia GPU (1070).

I click CRU.exe and create a new detailed resolution. Changing values according to other users' experiences. I found a working 72Hz settings for this monitor and tried that. The problem is;
After closing CRU, I click restart.exe and screen goes blank for 1-2 seconds.
Screen comes back and stays like that 3-4 seconds. In this 3-4 seconds I clicked advanced settings for monitor and I saw that it is 64 Hertz. Even If I set 61 or 80 via CRU, it doesn't matter. I always see 64 there.
Screen goes blank again for 1-2 seconds and comes back. It returns to 60 Hertz (also 50 and 59 are selectable settings but I can't see them at CRU?) and overclock is failed I guess?

What I tried so far and not worked
- restart64.exe (since my OS is win10 64bit)
- Restarted system after changing settings
- Tried reset-all.exe and restarting system and starting all over

What am I doing wrong? This is my first time trying to OC something so I may be a little ignorant :/
04-29-2017, 01:33 PM
Hi, I have been trying to mod the freesync range of my monitor. It is a Samsung C24F390, it uses freesync over HDMI (doesnt have DP), I changed the range limit to 35-72hz(from 48-72) but in crimson it still says the range is 48hz-72hz. I'm on crimson 17.4.4 driver with an r9 290.

Under Editing FreeSync ranges it says 'For HDMI monitors, edit the FreeSync data block in the first extension block.'

But cru is not showing any extension blocks apart from default.
04-29-2017, 06:24 PM
(04-29-2017 01:33 PM)Te5lac0il Wrote:  Hi, I have been trying to mod the freesync range of my monitor. It is a Samsung C24F390, it uses freesync over HDMI (doesnt have DP), I changed the range limit to 35-72hz(from 48-72) but in crimson it still says the range is 48hz-72hz. I'm on crimson 17.4.4 driver with an r9 290.

Under Editing FreeSync ranges it says 'For HDMI monitors, edit the FreeSync data block in the first extension block.'

But cru is not showing any extension blocks apart from default.
It should not be showing "Default extension block" unless the extension block is not readable or an override already existed. Run reset-all.exe and then restart.exe. Then see if the extension block is readable.
04-29-2017, 06:25 PM
(04-29-2017 07:18 AM)morikalina Wrote:  I have Dell U2414H monitor, trying to overclock it but can't be successful.
I'm using DisplayPort cable and have Nvidia GPU (1070).

I click CRU.exe and create a new detailed resolution. Changing values according to other users' experiences. I found a working 72Hz settings for this monitor and tried that. The problem is;
After closing CRU, I click restart.exe and screen goes blank for 1-2 seconds.
Screen comes back and stays like that 3-4 seconds. In this 3-4 seconds I clicked advanced settings for monitor and I saw that it is 64 Hertz. Even If I set 61 or 80 via CRU, it doesn't matter. I always see 64 there.
Screen goes blank again for 1-2 seconds and comes back. It returns to 60 Hertz (also 50 and 59 are selectable settings but I can't see them at CRU?) and overclock is failed I guess?

What I tried so far and not worked
- restart64.exe (since my OS is win10 64bit)
- Restarted system after changing settings
- Tried reset-all.exe and restarting system and starting all over

What am I doing wrong? This is my first time trying to OC something so I may be a little ignorant :/
Restart.exe restarts the graphics driver by temporarily disabling the driver for a few seconds before enabling it again. While the driver is disabled, Windows uses the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter driver, which doesn't deal with refresh rates and always reports 64 Hz. That part is not a problem. The new refresh rate not being available after the graphics driver restarts usually indicates a driver limitation, but that shouldn't be a problem at 72 Hz with DisplayPort. Use the "Export..." button in CRU to export a file (any format) and send it to me so I can take a look.
04-29-2017, 09:52 PM (Last edited: 04-30-2017, 08:16 PM by dodo)
(04-28-2017 09:40 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(04-28-2017 01:35 AM)dodo Wrote:  Edit: May have fixed it, my monitor (34UC88) showed up twice on the drop down, but only one was active. When only editing the active monitor, the issue happens (after a cold boot).
Editing both seems to have resolved it.
That shouldn't matter. Normally any issue that goes away by restarting the driver is a driver bug. I don't know what's going on with AMD's drivers lately. They've been having a lot of weird issues since ReLive came out.

You're right, the issue persisted after a couple of shutdowns. It seems to be the driver that is causing these issues. One thing I noticed in the game with flickering on any FPS (Final Fantasy XIV), the max resolution is not listed in the drop down (3440x1440 75Hz) until after restarting the drivers. Max resolution available was 1920x1080 which is my second monitor's maximum.

Edit: Following the idea that my second monitor was responsible, I turned off my 34UC88 monitor (displayport connected) when the PC boots up and the GPU sets my 27" monitor (HDMI connected) as the primary. Issue seems to be related to how the driver handles displayport when the monitor is powered off.
05-01-2017, 08:18 PM (Last edited: 05-01-2017, 08:20 PM by CeLioCiBR)
Question RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
H-hello there xD
so, i'm sorry for my english, brazilian here.. xD

anyone here can tell me, how to change my native resolution ?

basically.. i want to change my native resolution, from 1920x1080
to 1600x900
just that.. but, my english is very limited.. and.. idk what to do here.. xD

sorry for such huge noob question..
Thank's xD

Obs: idk if that matters but.. my tv model is
UN39FH5205GXZD
xD

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

05-01-2017, 09:00 PM
(05-01-2017 08:18 PM)CeLioCiBR Wrote:  anyone here can tell me, how to change my native resolution ?

basically.. i want to change my native resolution, from 1920x1080
to 1600x900
The first detailed resolution is the native resolution. Just edit the first detailed resolution or add a new one and use the arrow buttons to move it to the top. Use the "LCD standard" timing option to fill in the values.
05-01-2017, 11:47 PM
i have problem with my 144hz monitor it is benq 2720z when i watch any videos the video judder and cant fix this > i tried alot of things nothing worked .can this utility fi this problem .when i set resolution rather than 144 or 120 the monitor gone choppy
05-02-2017, 07:43 AM
(05-01-2017 11:47 PM)striker333 Wrote:  i have problem with my 144hz monitor it is benq 2720z when i watch any videos the video judder and cant fix this > i tried alot of things nothing worked .can this utility fi this problem .when i set resolution rather than 144 or 120 the monitor gone choppy

What's the framerate of the videos you're trying? you shouldn't have judder if the FPS are multiple of the refresh rate you're using. 24, 30 and 60 FPS shouldn't give you any judder at 120 Hz, the same for 24 and 48 FPS videos at 144 Hz. In case you're watching videos with a different framerate, like 25 FPS at 144 Hz, try using Reclock or Videoclock, or in the last case (not the best option but works anyway) try madvr's smooth motion.

Also be aware that you can be confusing monitor judder (FPS not matching refresh rate) with inter-frame judder (not enough frames to show a smooth camera movement, like in a panning scene). The second one is normal in cinema due to low framerate and there's not much you can do about it, unless you try something like SVP, which tries to solve the issue but adding other artifacts. Nice for cartoons and animation movies, not my cup of tea for cinema in general.

If I were you I'd mess around with a media player with madvr support, I think the problem is there. I have the same monitor and everything runs smoothly.