Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
08-26-2018, 10:56 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
Hi all

My monitor is asus pg348q 3440x1440 gsync 100hz
Connected with display port cable from a gtx titan x maxwell and Windows 7

I'm using Windows 7 and the older titan with nvidia driver v353.06 so I can dsr x4 1600x1200 and that seems to be picked up by nvidia control panel 3200x2400 dsr resolution.

The monitor is running at 60hz - when I set detailed and standard resolution of 1600x1200 60hz I get out of range when changing to the new native resolution.

I'm doing this to dsr all my old games most of which have 4:3 aspect ratio.

I need help getting this to work as I am not very knowledgeable about this any help would be great
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-27-2018, 02:57 PM
(08-26-2018 10:56 PM)ironside79 Wrote:  My monitor is asus pg348q 3440x1440 gsync 100hz
Connected with display port cable from a gtx titan x maxwell and Windows 7

I'm using Windows 7 and the older titan with nvidia driver v353.06 so I can dsr x4 1600x1200 and that seems to be picked up by nvidia control panel 3200x2400 dsr resolution.

The monitor is running at 60hz - when I set detailed and standard resolution of 1600x1200 60hz I get out of range when changing to the new native resolution.
G-SYNC monitors do not support non-native resolutions.
08-27-2018, 03:19 PM
Thx for replying ToastyX

Just to clarify

Is it that gsync monitors do not support non native resolutions full stop

Or will it be possible if I turn off gsync ?
08-27-2018, 05:58 PM
(08-27-2018 03:19 PM)ironside79 Wrote:  Is it that gsync monitors do not support non native resolutions full stop

Or will it be possible if I turn off gsync ?
The G-SYNC module in the monitor doesn't have a scaler for DisplayPort, although it might support some basic resolutions for compatibility reasons. The manual says it supports 1024x768 @ 60 Hz with DisplayPort. That's probably as high as it will go. It might be able to handle other resolutions with HDMI since that has a separate scaler, but the manual doesn't list 1600x1200 as a supported resolution.
08-30-2018, 10:41 PM
(08-22-2018 09:46 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(08-20-2018 09:29 PM)Jonotallica Wrote:  HDMI TV - Full RGB - Normal colour
PC - Full RGB - Pale and washed out
PC - Limited RGB- Double Pale and looks awful
If you remove HDMI support from the extension block, the video card will send a DVI signal, which is always full RGB, but you said the colors were washed out when you did that, which makes me think the monitor just has washed out colors with full RGB PC resolutions. I don't know why you're having different results with TV resolutions. I can't tell if that's because of the monitor or NVIDIA's driver treating TV resolutions differently, but the washed out colors with PC resolutions is definitely the monitor, which is why it looks double pale with limited. NVIDIA's driver probably treats custom resolutions the same as PC resolutions, which is why those are always washed out for you.

(08-20-2018 09:29 PM)Jonotallica Wrote:  Is there anyway to apply these CRU EDID profile changes permanately to the monitor, or is it always going to be a temporary thing that I need to apply after graphics drivers change, or reinstallation of Windows?
You would need to flash the EDID with the exported .bin file, but many monitors have a read-only EDID, which would require a hardware modification to get around: https://www.blurbusters.com/zero-motion-...dware-mod/

Thanks for your reply, sorry for the delay in mine.. I bought a monitor colour calibration tool and it's still sitting in the box unopened since my last post, have had a lot of stuff to catch up on and trying to get everything ticked off one by one. There was one video in particular that had variable frame rate, tcombined with different interlacing options for different parts of the video, and encoding took 36 hours combined with the editing itself which took even longer, it was a complicated puzzle to solve.. but happy to report that the new monitor settings helped me do a good job with it, in terms of ensuring smooth playback and the end result has turned out really well.

I might come back and revisit this at a later point, it seems involved in terms of the hardware modification of the monitor, which would help with convenience.. but in the last week I've had no problems, everything has been perfect.. and it's only one extra step to use the CRU tool.

I'm also a little worried that it could be a one off issue with this version of the NVIDIA driver (or something else) and it could be the future driver versions act differently. It could be that if I reinstalled Windows but used the same driver.. even that could act differently. I don't really know what is the root cause of my problem, other than.. I feel like the NVIDIA drivers are dodgy when it comes to colour profiles and not intuitive or straight forward. I can't say 100% that this is the case, it could be the monitor.. I'm just happy to have found a workaround, and in the last week haven't had to think about it at all, and it's working 100% the way I wanted it to. I am even able to watch YT videos (or live streams) through my video player and it's using the correct refresh rate for each video.

I might look into the the permanent monitor hardware solution if a window/pocket of time opens up and I'm in the right mood to mess around with it. Or maybe after a Windows reinstall or a graphics driver update. It'd be good to wait I think, in terms of having confirmation of where the problem is coming from, or more experience with different versions of video card drivers. In the meantime, this is working ok. And the great thing about CRU tool is that it's flexible for future changes or tweaks if required.

Thanks again for your help on this matter, and especially for the CRU tool itself, it's sort of a swiss army knife in some ways, in terms of being able to tweak or fix a wide range of issues relating to monitor/refresh rates/resolutions.
09-02-2018, 09:45 AM
Please
Somebody can help me?
I have a problem
When i make a a resolution 1366x768
My laptop screen is dead.
It can't turn on. But the laptop is on. When i check in network shared folder. It accessible.
How i reset it?

Thanks
09-02-2018, 05:19 PM
(09-02-2018 09:45 AM)Beny Siregar Wrote:  When i make a a resolution 1366x768
My laptop screen is dead.
It can't turn on. But the laptop is on. When i check in network shared folder. It accessible.
How i reset it?

(09-07-2012 09:06 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  To reset a display back to the default configuration, use the "Delete" button at the top to delete the override from the registry and reboot. To reset all displays, run reset-all.exe and reboot. This can be done in safe mode if necessary.
09-03-2018, 08:00 AM (Last edited: 09-03-2018, 08:08 AM by SkOrPn)
Hello again guys and ToastyX its been a LONG time since I last posted here.

I only have one quick question please about AMD and their VSR. I Have the latest 18.8.2 Andrenalin drivers installed and patched. When I turn on VSR for my R9 290 I get a in-game resolution selection of 3200x1800 which will downsample to 2560x1440@60 on my LG IPS. However, my IPS is a Overclockable model that natively runs at 60Hz but I can set it all the way up to 120Hz, which I normally never do. I usually run Windows 10 at 2560x1440@96Hz just to be on the safe side plus Linus Tech Tips once said that these Korean IPS displays start to lose color quality at 98Hz or above so I just keep it at 96Hz, again for safety sakes (not sure if he is correct though, lol).

But my question pertains to VSR and Frequency. I want to play Crysis 1 again after 10 years and I have installed the wonderful Maximum Immersion Mod which requires you to select 3840x2160 in-game for a native 1440p display (His better textures are made for 4K rendering I guess). However again AMD does not give me this 3840x2160 as it defaults to only 3200x1800. I assume I couldn't use a 4K VSR setting anyway since an R9 290 doesn't have the power for that. Is the 3200x1800 limitation hardcoded, or is it something I can bypass using CRU to set a VSR res of 3840x2160?

Thanks for any tips or thoughts that might get my 4K VSR working with this mod. Good day..

SkOrPn
09-03-2018, 03:49 PM
Hi, new user here. Trying to input a detailed resolution but hit a brick wall. MadVR created a custom resolution and is able to add and use that resolution. However, if I take the same parameters and try to add them to a detailed resolution with CRU, the front porch text goes red and 'ok' greys out. As MadVR is able to add and use this custom resolution, I am assuming I am doing something wrong. Timings are:

Resolution: 3840x2160
Front porch H: 1276
Front porch V: 8
Sync width H: 88
Sync width V: 10
Back porch H: 400
Back porch V: 62
Pixel clock: 300.97

These timings should result in 23.976. Anyone have any pointers?
09-03-2018, 06:04 PM
(09-03-2018 03:49 PM)iSeries Wrote:  MadVR created a custom resolution and is able to add and use that resolution. However, if I take the same parameters and try to add them to a detailed resolution with CRU, the front porch text goes red and 'ok' greys out.
CRU creates EDID overrides, and EDID detailed resolutions can't have a horizontal front porch greater than 1023. However, if you add a DisplayID extension block, you can add detailed resolutions with higher limits inside.