Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
09-02-2013, 11:28 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(09-02-2013 11:28 AM)purecussion Wrote:  I have a 7970 and a QNIX monitor. Now, when I built the computer the first time, I had amazing results at 120hz other than the red lines for a while. After I brought it down to 110hz which got rid of the red lines, I began to run into problems where the screen would flicker and eventually black out.

So I began troubleshooting. Reset both CRU and ATI Patch. Reinstalled 13.8beta-> applied current ATI patch-> reboot computer-> Open CRU and copy/paste stock 59hz settings-> tweak 2nd profile refresh rate to 110Hz->bring it to the top-> reboot computer -> BIOS splash good! Windows 7 64 bit Loading logo GOOD! -> the MOMENT it enters the desktop, screen flickers and then blacks out immediately. I have to go to safe boot to reset CRU to get back into desktop normally.

What am I missing? It worked the first time and I followed the Youtube videos, what has changed? I tried it with 13.4 CCC as well. Same results.
That sounds like a signal quality problem. Make sure the cable didn't get loose on either end.

Use "LCD reduced" timing for better results.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-03-2013, 05:59 AM
(09-02-2013 11:28 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(09-02-2013 11:28 AM)purecussion Wrote:  I have a 7970 and a QNIX monitor. Now, when I built the computer the first time, I had amazing results at 120hz other than the red lines for a while. After I brought it down to 110hz which got rid of the red lines, I began to run into problems where the screen would flicker and eventually black out.

So I began troubleshooting. Reset both CRU and ATI Patch. Reinstalled 13.8beta-> applied current ATI patch-> reboot computer-> Open CRU and copy/paste stock 59hz settings-> tweak 2nd profile refresh rate to 110Hz->bring it to the top-> reboot computer -> BIOS splash good! Windows 7 64 bit Loading logo GOOD! -> the MOMENT it enters the desktop, screen flickers and then blacks out immediately. I have to go to safe boot to reset CRU to get back into desktop normally.

What am I missing? It worked the first time and I followed the Youtube videos, what has changed? I tried it with 13.4 CCC as well. Same results.
That sounds like a signal quality problem. Make sure the cable didn't get loose on either end.

Use "LCD reduced" timing for better results.

I made sure to tighten the DVI cable all the way this time. Made sure the power cable was plugged in nice and snug. Did try LCD reduced. Same results Sad

What I don't understand is that it worked fine before. I don't know what could have possibly changed the results. Currently, 60hz stock works fine though. It's only once I overclock on CRU and restart, things get awry.
09-03-2013, 08:49 AM
Are you using the pixel clock patch? The patch sets the single-link/dual-link switchover point to 230 MHz on dual-link DVI ports. I thought your monitor was HDMI. How do you have the monitor connected?
09-04-2013, 12:49 AM (Last edited: 09-05-2013, 01:17 PM by Elajits)
(09-03-2013 08:49 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  Are you using the pixel clock patch? The patch sets the single-link/dual-link switchover point to 230 MHz on dual-link DVI ports. I thought your monitor was HDMI. How do you have the monitor connected?

I have the monitor Connected whit HDMI to the Laptop
Yea I use the Patcher! Smile
Maybe the patcher is incompatible whit 5850-Mobility cards,
If so! do you have a current fix for that 230 MHz pixel clock limit
That would be Heaven Big Grin

BTW are those settings Good or bad?
I mean are this RES Pointless Do i losing much pixel's and so?
instead of a lower RES whit higher values like 2720x1600
[Image: http://i.minus.com/jGUrsO7uwMUzD.jpg]
09-04-2013, 05:12 AM
Is there anything else I can do to get my monitor fixed in device manager?

Thanks again! Smile
09-04-2013, 08:19 AM
Turns out it was definitely a monitor/cable problem and not a software. I've connected my QNIX to another computer with a different graphics card and I get the same results. I hate myself for even doubting you. I'm going to try a different DVI cable tomorrow and if it still doesn't work, I'll have to hope for the best to return it.
09-06-2013, 08:10 AM
(09-04-2013 05:12 AM)jarablue Wrote:  Is there anything else I can do to get my monitor fixed in device manager?
I don't know what's causing that. It's not a CRU problem. The settings in CRU take effect as soon as the graphics driver loads, which happens right after the Windows loading screen. The problem is happening after that.

The fact that it happens after the desktop loads means something else is loading on startup and triggering some sort of monitor detection routine, and for some reason that's not working properly when an EDID override is in effect. I don't know what it could be because I'm not seeing that happen.

One thing you can try is to run msconfig, and in the "Services" tab, check "Hide all Microsoft services" at the bottom. Then try disabling services one by one. The "NVIDIA Display Driver Service" isn't needed for normal functionality, so you can try disabling that. If that fixes the problem, then it's an NVIDIA bug. If it's not that, try disabling other services, and check the "Startup" tab as well.
09-07-2013, 03:41 AM (Last edited: 09-07-2013, 03:48 AM by JayCee)
Hey Toasty, I have an identical problem as someone earlier in the thread did. I have a U2412M monitor, which is 16:10 at 1920x1200. I'm trying to get 72Hz using CRU.When I try to set it using LCD Standard or LCD reduced, the monitor gives an error that says "The current input timing is not supported by the monitor display"

Earlier in the thread, you came up with a working 72Hz resolution for someone with the slimmer U2312HM Ultrasharp with the following EDID settings:

H: 1920 32 40 40 112 2032
V: 1080 9 16 17 42 1122

What would the equivalent be for 1920x1200?

Great program btw!

EDIT: I'm using DisplayPort, so the bandwidth shouldn't be the issue.
09-07-2013, 09:14 AM
It's not the same. 1920x1200 monitors are not usually good overclockers. If "LCD standard" and "LCD reduced" won't even display a picture, then it probably can't be done.

Someone mentioned that the U2312HM is limited to around 165 MHz pixel clock even with DisplayPort. If the U2412M works the same way, then there's no way to get 1920x1200 @ 72 Hz.
09-07-2013, 05:46 PM
(09-07-2013 09:14 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  It's not the same. 1920x1200 monitors are not usually good overclockers. If "LCD standard" and "LCD reduced" won't even display a picture, then it probably can't be done.

Someone mentioned that the U2312HM is limited to around 165 MHz pixel clock even with DisplayPort. If the U2412M works the same way, then there's no way to get 1920x1200 @ 72 Hz.

Thanks for the response. I did some testing at 61Hz and worked my way up with CRU. The maximum refresh rate I could get was 62Hz with standard LCD settings. Strangely, 63 and above, even with lower timings and staying under 165MHz, did not work. The cutoff in my case was closer to 160MHz.