Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
09-13-2013, 06:58 AM (Last edited: 09-13-2013, 07:41 AM by hakke)
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(09-12-2013 11:24 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  Audio support is defined in the extension block, but NVIDIA's driver won't include the display's extension block when an EDID override is present. You have to create a custom extension block, but CRU doesn't have that ability yet.

I might be able to create one for you if you can give me the extension block information from your display/receiver. I don't know what can do that reliably. Sometimes this works: http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/moninfo.shtm
Thanks for your effort, I appreciate it.

SonyTv attachment includes information when HTPC is connected directly to the TV. Second one when connected to AV-receiver.

And what I wanted was to change the native resolution to the original 1360x768 when HTPC is connected to receiver.

Attached File(s)
.txt  SonyTv.txt (Size: 5.22 KB / Downloads: 826)
.txt  rx-v673.txt (Size: 6.07 KB / Downloads: 956)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-13-2013, 09:33 AM
Try this: http://www.toastyx.net/sony.inf

First, if you're using Windows 8, you have to temporarily disable driver signature enforcement: http://sixcolumns.com/t/how-to-disable-a...dows-8/151

Then install the INF file using the device manager: right-click the monitor -> Update Driver Software... -> Browse my computer for driver software -> Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer -> Have Disk... -> Browse for the .inf file -> OK -> Next -> Install this driver software anyway

That should install a custom extension block with audio information for your receiver. Then you should be able to enable the extension block in CRU to enable audio support.
09-14-2013, 12:32 AM
Hi ToastyX,

Would like to know if you heard of any symptoms like playing online videos (Youtube, etc..) in Google Chrome where it would suddenly hang and lock, needed to reset the PC? I have this symptoms and it seems that I cannot play any online videos with Google Chrome now. But I could use Windows IE 10. My OS is Win 7 Ultimate.

I have been using NVC customs resolution of 110hz with all OPs for patch and CRU added.

Would appreciate any feedback.

Thank you.
09-14-2013, 02:56 AM
(09-14-2013 12:32 AM)Stylook Wrote:  Hi ToastyX,

Would like to know if you heard of any symptoms like playing online videos (Youtube, etc..) in Google Chrome where it would suddenly hang and lock, needed to reset the PC? I have this symptoms and it seems that I cannot play any online videos with Google Chrome now. But I could use Windows IE 10. My OS is Win 7 Ultimate.

I have been using NVC customs resolution of 110hz with all OPs for patch and CRU added.

Would appreciate any feedback.

Thank you.

Hi Toastxy,

I think I found out the reason, it's the notorious Realtek HD audio matters. Nothing to do with CRU or patch etc. Hope I am right.

Cheers,
09-14-2013, 05:14 AM
(09-13-2013 09:33 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  Try this: http://www.toastyx.net/sony.inf

First, if you're using Windows 8, you have to temporarily disable driver signature enforcement: http://sixcolumns.com/t/how-to-disable-a...dows-8/151

Then install the INF file using the device manager: right-click the monitor -> Update Driver Software... -> Browse my computer for driver software -> Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer -> Have Disk... -> Browse for the .inf file -> OK -> Next -> Install this driver software anyway

That should install a custom extension block with audio information for your receiver. Then you should be able to enable the extension block in CRU to enable audio support.
You are The Man Toasty. Video and audio are working perfectly, fantastic. Only one detail - which I can live easily with - returning from sleep resets the settings and a restart is required.

Great job, thanks again.
09-14-2013, 05:20 PM
ToastyX
Please help me to create 1216x684@23.976Hz for my TV - Pioneer PDP-4280XA
I do not understand what the values ​​have to be in the fields of:
Front porch
Sync width
Back porch

Help me please!
MonInfo data is attached.

Attached File(s)
.txt  MonInfo -- Pioneer PDP-4280XA.txt (Size: 5.44 KB / Downloads: 1051)
09-14-2013, 09:21 PM
I have "Automatic - LCD standard" for that, but the pixel clock at that resolution is so low that it might not get listed. You can try "Automatic - CRT standard" to get a higher pixel clock.

Does your TV support that resolution? You might have to use 47.952 Hz instead.
09-14-2013, 10:18 PM (Last edited: 09-14-2013, 10:24 PM by Zampred)
(09-14-2013 09:21 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  Does your TV support that resolution?
My TV supports 1280x720 (50Hz, 59Hz and 60Hz).
I manually reduce the resolution to 1216x684 through the settings panel driver NVIDIA, so that the entire image fits within the screen.
So I thought it better to create custom resolution 1216x684, although I'm not sure about the validity of such a path.
(09-14-2013 09:21 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  You can try "Automatic - CRT standard" to get a higher pixel clock.
You might have to use 47.952 Hz instead.
Thank you very much!
I'll try to do it.
09-16-2013, 01:07 PM
(09-12-2013 11:31 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(09-12-2013 09:06 AM)prankstare Wrote:  Also, just to clarify all this. How do I check if monitor is doing 1:1 pixel mapping?
The patterns I linked should make that clear. They should be uniform without artifacts.

I've checked that page and adjusted monitor settings and it is doing 1:1 pixel mapping now, thanks.

I have also been playing around with some different DVI -> VGA adapters, had one from an old ATI Radeon graphics card (X1600PRO) and there's been some improvements in image quality so it turns out it is noise coming from the poor adapter that comes with EVGA (btw, have you ever heard about 2D quality issues affecting factory overvolted cards such as EVGA SC and MSI Lightning cards? some people have reported things like factory overvolted cards tend to warm monitor/image up faster resulting in slight pink tinge on the screen which I also noticed moving from Sapphire to EVGA SC -> http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1694153).

Also, I'm a bit confused about this whole analog/digital discussion and adapters since I'm aware back in the day when it was all about analog output (VGA), cards which had better RAMDAC chips would result in better 2D quality but it seems not to be the case now as everything turned to digital. Is that even right? I mean, not quite sure but DVI to VGA adapters actually don't convert anything, all it does is send the already analog signal through some selected pins? Now with that said, there may still be some variance in 2D quality going from card to card (brands), even with newer/current ones, correct (or at least via analog signal that is) ? It's confusing because people have been reporting this kind of thing even with DVI/HDMI which are digital cables. So I guess my question is: does my EVGA GTX650Ti SC send analog or digital signals via the DVI-I output or actually both?
09-16-2013, 07:55 PM
Hi guys, I tried using CRU but I get this message when I try to open it. Does anyone know how I can fix this?
[Image: http://t.imgbox.com/adcHrhbh.jpg]