Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
09-16-2013, 09:57 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(09-16-2013 07:55 PM)Ejaz Wrote:  Hi guys, I tried using CRU but I get this message when I try to open it. Does anyone know how I can fix this?
What is the name of the monitor listed in the device manager?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-16-2013, 10:57 PM
(09-16-2013 01:07 PM)prankstare Wrote:  I have also been playing around with some different DVI -> VGA adapters, had one from an old ATI Radeon graphics card (X1600PRO) and there's been some improvements in image quality so it turns out it is noise coming from the poor adapter that comes with EVGA (btw, have you ever heard about 2D quality issues affecting factory overvolted cards such as EVGA SC and MSI Lightning cards? some people have reported things like factory overvolted cards tend to warm monitor/image up faster resulting in slight pink tinge on the screen which I also noticed moving from Sapphire to EVGA SC -> http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1694153).
I don't know what people in that thread are talking about. I've never seen a difference in digital image quality between different video cards. Digital interference would be obvious, like flashing lines or colored pixels.

Analog is different though. VGA is susceptible to interference, so anything from the video card to the adapter to the cable to the monitor and other external factors can affect the image quality.

DVI-I can output either digital or analog. The adapter just passes the analog signal through. It doesn't do any conversion.
09-17-2013, 06:22 PM (Last edited: 09-18-2013, 10:09 AM by Zinkon)
I did everything, set in options to make 75 hz. Everything works fine. But the next time I boot up, It's at 60 hz again. I try to change to 75 hz in options again but nothing happens. I tried to redo everything and it seemed to work. But only until I rebooted. ATI

I rebooted again and the option to change refresh rate to 75hz disappeared, even though it's still there in CRU.
09-18-2013, 11:28 AM
That's an unusual problem. I don't know what would cause that to happen. It doesn't make sense for it to work the first time, then stop working after rebooting.

The fact that 75 Hz appears at all means CRU added the resolution correctly. Something else is getting in the way after that. Check the device manager under display adapters and make sure there aren't any mirror drivers or anything other than your video card.
09-18-2013, 01:25 PM
I used up arrow to make 75 hz at the top of the detailed resolutions list in CRU, rebooted and 75 Hz works again. I hope it stays at 75 Hz this time.
09-18-2013, 03:06 PM
Hi guys!
Need some help with custom refresh rate.
I have an old (2004 lol) non-PnP VGA LG L1715S with max resolution 1280x1024@75Hz and it doesn't support EDID I suppose.
So with GeForce 8600 GT it worked pretty fine on 75 Hz, but recently i've bought Sapphire 7870 GHz and it refuses to work on 75 Hz. AMD Catalyst and Desktop properties in Win have only 60 Hz to choose.
I tried to add my resolution to DALNonStandardModesBCD1 in registry but it doesn't help.
Then I've found this thread and tried CRU, but i don't know stats for Detailed resolution.
Is there any chance to make it work on 75 Hz?
Would welcome any helpBlush
Thanks!
P.S. I'm on Win 7 64-bit.
09-19-2013, 12:55 AM
That's what the "LCD standard" timing option is for. It will fill in the parameters for you. If that doesn't work with your monitor, try "CRT standard" instead.
09-19-2013, 01:33 AM
(09-19-2013 12:55 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  That's what the "LCD standard" timing option is for. It will fill in the parameters for you. If that doesn't work with your monitor, try "CRT standard" instead.
I've tried "LCD standard", but it doesn't change anything to me, I see "75 Hz" written in properties, but it's same 60 Hz really.
Thanks anyway, i would try the "CRT standard".
09-19-2013, 02:25 AM
Is 75 Hz available as a choice? If not, AMD's control center should have an option to manually set the maximum resolution and refresh rate when using VGA. If you want to use CRU instead, you have to make sure the EDID option is enabled.
09-19-2013, 10:53 AM (Last edited: 09-19-2013, 11:17 AM by Zinkon)
My previous problem didn't appear when I rebooted. It appeared when I set the computer to sleep and then wake it. And here I thought everything was fixed Sad