Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
10-30-2019, 09:49 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(10-30-2019 09:31 PM)EeK Wrote:  I tried again with CRU, and instead of using restart64.exe, I restarted Windows and rebooted the entire system. It worked! 3840x2160 at 66Hz successfully added, without the infinite reboot loop.

Still don't understand why I wasn't able to simply restart the graphics driver without rebooting the system, as I'd always done before, though. Very odd.
Even if the driver crashed while running restart64.exe, it shouldn't have caused a reboot loop. If you're willing to experiement, what happens if you disable and enable the GPU in Device Manager? If it crashes when disabling and causes a boot loop, it might actually be a bug in Microsoft's Basic Display Adapter driver, although that shouldn't listen to EDID overrides. If it crashes when enabling, it's definitely an NVIDIA driver bug. Then again, now that it's working, it might not crash at all.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-30-2019, 11:25 PM
(10-30-2019 09:49 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  Even if the driver crashed while running restart64.exe, it shouldn't have caused a reboot loop. If you're willing to experiement, what happens if you disable and enable the GPU in Device Manager? If it crashes when disabling and causes a boot loop, it might actually be a bug in Microsoft's Basic Display Adapter driver, although that shouldn't listen to EDID overrides. If it crashes when enabling, it's definitely an NVIDIA driver bug. Then again, now that it's working, it might not crash at all.

At this point, I'm honestly scared of trying anything else and messing up all of my settings again. Tongue

But another person on a different forum mentioned having the same issue as me, when trying to add a custom resolution via CRU. It's most certainly an Nvidia driver bug, as none of that was happening on previous versions, and the new driver won't even allow the same resolution/refresh rates as before.
11-01-2019, 08:52 PM
(10-30-2019 09:31 PM)EeK Wrote:  
(10-30-2019 01:04 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  That can only be a driver bug. CRU only writes EDID overrides and doesn't do any driver modifications, so if you can get the driver to crash with CRU, then that's a driver bug. Even if CRU wrote garbage instead of a correct EDID, that shouldn't cause the driver to crash. Does the driver crash if you try to add the same resolution with the NVIDIA control panel?

With NVCP, any resolution of 3840x2160 with a refresh rate higher than 60Hz didn't get past the tests, so it couldn't be applied. That behavior only started after the latest driver (411.08). Before that, with either 440.52 or 440.97, I successfully added 4K resolutions of up to 66Hz, using NVCP (albeit with RGB as the only available color format, for some reason).

I tried again with CRU, and instead of using restart64.exe, I restarted Windows and rebooted the entire system. It worked! 3840x2160 at 66Hz successfully added, without the infinite reboot loop.

Still don't understand why I wasn't able to simply restart the graphics driver without rebooting the system, as I'd always done before, though. Very odd.

I have the same issue, it happens with these Nvidia drivers: 441.08 and 440.97, if it's a bug from Nvidia drivers hopefully it wil get fixed. I'll stick to the old drivers for now
11-01-2019, 09:59 PM
Hello, I have overclocked my monitor Philips 240V5QDSB (1920x1080 60hz stock) and reach 77hz with just add custom resolution in nvidia control panel (gtx 1060, HDMI cable) , now I trying to overclock with CRU, but even with 600x400 resolution I can't reach 78hz. My monitor just refuse to go over 77hz, do you have any idea what can cause this problem and is it possible my monitor to be locked up to 77hz?
11-02-2019, 10:34 AM
Hi Toasty, I wanted to first thank you for all of your hard work with CRU. I've run into a bit of an issue with my monitor when using CRU and now I'm desperately looking for a way of fixing this issue. I was following a guide for enabling GSYNC on both of my BENQ BNQ7F45 monitors and in the process of doing this, I replicated the timing settings for my first monitor over to my second, which is the same monitor, but a more current iteration (more recent Firmware). Anyhow, I made sure to perform an export from CRU thinking that if I ever needed to revert anything I changed, I could readily do that and since I've made these changes, my second monitor is now locked at 120hz. My primary will do 144hz, without an issue. I've tried using the reset feature of CRU and rebooting, even downloaded and ran DDU to blow out the drivers. Last thing I just tried was running regedit as the system user, and blowing out the two registry keys associated with my monitor in Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY

I rebooted, checked the refresh and it's still locked at 120hz. I'm baffled by this, and have no idea how to fix this. When I check the timings in CRU for my second monitor, it's like the settings I applied are somehow stuck now, and won't revert back to whatever the defaults were. I'm not sure what to do, and am hoping you might have some suggestions.

Thank you for any help you can offer.
11-02-2019, 10:52 AM
(11-02-2019 10:34 AM)Ambro Wrote:  I've tried using the reset feature of CRU and rebooting, even downloaded and ran DDU to blow out the drivers. Last thing I just tried was running regedit as the system user, and blowing out the two registry keys associated with my monitor in Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY

I rebooted, checked the refresh and it's still locked at 120hz. I'm baffled by this, and have no idea how to fix this. When I check the timings in CRU for my second monitor, it's like the settings I applied are somehow stuck now, and won't revert back to whatever the defaults were. I'm not sure what to do, and am hoping you might have some suggestions.
What do you mean by locked at 120 Hz? Are there no other refresh rates available? Not even 60 Hz?

Running reset-all.exe removes all EDID overrides and so does DDU, so I doubt anything's left over.
11-02-2019, 10:53 AM
(11-01-2019 09:59 PM)urkqsrk Wrote:  Hello, I have overclocked my monitor Philips 240V5QDSB (1920x1080 60hz stock) and reach 77hz with just add custom resolution in nvidia control panel (gtx 1060, HDMI cable) , now I trying to overclock with CRU, but even with 600x400 resolution I can't reach 78hz. My monitor just refuse to go over 77hz, do you have any idea what can cause this problem and is it possible my monitor to be locked up to 77hz?
Your monitor won't allow more than 77 Hz.
11-02-2019, 05:32 PM (Last edited: 11-02-2019, 06:55 PM by Ambro)
(11-02-2019 10:52 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(11-02-2019 10:34 AM)Ambro Wrote:  I've tried using the reset feature of CRU and rebooting, even downloaded and ran DDU to blow out the drivers. Last thing I just tried was running regedit as the system user, and blowing out the two registry keys associated with my monitor in Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY

What do you mean by locked at 120 Hz? Are there no other refresh rates available? Not even 60 Hz?

Running reset-all.exe removes all EDID overrides and so does DDU, so I doubt anything's left over.

The monitor I changed the timings on now only has 60, 100, and 120hz available. When I check the monitor timings in CRU, they still reflect settings that I applied post running reset-all and DDU, so it appears as if those settings persist in the monitor somehow. I did use your export feature in the application, but when I import them back it doesn't seem to have any effect on the timings. I'm fairly confident the issue is that I cannot revert back to the timings for this monitor which differed from my primary monitor. I'm able to use 144hz at resolutions 1920x1080 and below, but not in my native resolution, 2560x1440. The primary monitor runs in 144hz @ 2560x1440.

Another strange abnormality on this monitor now, the output color format is now set to YCbCr422 for both 100 and 120hz, with no option for RGB. It will only go back to RGB mode for 60hz. This doesn't happen with the primary monitor.
11-02-2019, 07:04 PM
(11-02-2019 05:32 PM)Ambro Wrote:  The monitor I changed the timings on now only has 60, 100, and 120hz available. When I check the monitor timings in CRU, they still reflect settings that I applied post running reset-all and DDU, so it appears as if those settings persist in the monitor somehow. I did use your export feature in the application, but when I import them back it doesn't seem to have any effect on the timings. I'm fairly confident the issue is that I cannot revert back to the timings for this monitor which differed from my primary monitor. I'm able to use 144hz at 1920x1080, but my native resolution, 2560x1440 only allows 120hz now. The primary monitor runs in 144hz @ 2560x1440.

Another strange abnormality on this monitor now, the output color format is now set to YCbCr422 for both 100 and 120hz, with no option for RGB. It will only go back to RGB mode for 60hz. This doesn't happen with the primary monitor.
Are the monitors BenQ XL2730? Are the monitors connected using DisplayPort or HDMI? What video card to you have?

Run reset-all.exe and reboot. Then export each monitor to a file and post them here, and post the file you saved before making any changes.
11-02-2019, 07:26 PM
(11-02-2019 07:04 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(11-02-2019 05:32 PM)Ambro Wrote:  The monitor I changed the timings on now only has 60, 100, and 120hz available. When I check the monitor timings in CRU, they still reflect settings that I applied post running reset-all and DDU, so it appears as if those settings persist in the monitor somehow. I did use your export feature in the application, but when I import them back it doesn't seem to have any effect on the timings. I'm fairly confident the issue is that I cannot revert back to the timings for this monitor which differed from my primary monitor. I'm able to use 144hz at 1920x1080, but my native resolution, 2560x1440 only allows 120hz now. The primary monitor runs in 144hz @ 2560x1440.

Are the monitors BenQ XL2730? Are the monitors connected using DisplayPort or HDMI? What video card to you have?

Run reset-all.exe and reboot. Then export each monitor to a file and post them here, and post the file you saved before making any changes.

Both monitors are the BenQ XL2730 and are both connected via display port to an EVGA 1070 FTW running the latest 441.08 driver. I tried switching out the DP cable, both are certified, no effect there. I also tried unplugging my primary monitor, leaving only the secondary plugged in, and tried switching the DP positions on the graphics card.

I've done as you've instructed - both sets of files are included as attachments to this thread. Thank you for taking the time to help me troubleshoot this issue.

Attached File(s)
.bin  monitor2_backup.bin (Size: 256 bytes / Downloads: 375)
.bin  monitor1_backup.bin (Size: 256 bytes / Downloads: 323)
.bin  monitor1_11-2-2019_backup.bin (Size: 256 bytes / Downloads: 303)
.bin  monitor2_11-2-2019_backup.bin (Size: 256 bytes / Downloads: 296)